+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Replacing projector bulbs in Technical; I've not had ladder training, so presumably I shouldn't go up ladders. There doesn't appear to be "chair on desk" ...

Thank Post
    I've not had ladder training, so presumably I shouldn't go up ladders. There doesn't appear to be "chair on desk" training, so I guess I'm ok there. We have a very tall stepladder for getting to the lights and projector in the hall and I do get the Site Manager to help with that because it weighs a ton.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies eveyone, if we had a decent caretaker at the moment I would ask him to help, as they have ladder training, but the current one is not capable and too heavy handed.
    I'm going to discuss it today with the office manager, my line manager is a teacher and only cares if the projector works! One of our classroom epson projectors has got purple 'corners' so I'm thinking of moving an identical projector from the library where it's used once in a blue moon, to said classroom. So will get the supplying company to move it and change bulbs at the same time.
    Hopefully by the time the next bulbs need replacing we'll have a caretaker that can help.

Thank Post
    What you could do is swap the projectors and as the new(ish) library one does not get used that much take the chance to strip it down and give it a clean if money is tight. One of my schools is dismantling the ict suite to go fully mobile eventually so that projector is going to be replacing a class projector that is very poor.

Thank Post
    I get up and do it myself. Either in-situ or take it down completely.
    I wouldn't trust our site staff anyway.

Thank Post
    Some of our earlier mounts have three adjusting bolts that screw into the projector from above. The screws are quite difficult to get to and often get very tight, so I can understand a vertically challenged young lady (or man) maybe having difficulty removing the screws. I've had one that was so difficult, I ended up having to take down the whole mount from the ceiling. That was a real pain because it meant putting two desks together, then another desk on top, and then the chair. It was a bit wobbly.

Thank Post
    I do it myself. If it needs to come down then I do that too. Either on a table top or a ladder if I can't reach from the table top. Have I been ladder trained? No. I believe I am capable of climbing a small step ladder and working from it.

Yesterday we had a projector to replace, but also had to replace the mounting bracket on the bottom of the pole. The new one didn't fit so had to drill a bigger hole. Did it all myself. It's jobs like this that I enjoy most, as they don't happen every day so therefore seem more fun.

Thank Post
    @hightower, why do you need a ladder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    @hightower, why do you need a ladder?
    Our ceilings are about 12 foot high. I normally just use the first rung to get me up the last couple of inches

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Our ceilings are about 12 foot high. I normally just use the first rung to get me up the last couple of inches
    Do you not have them on long poles down to IWB height then? Or do you have them mounted high with keystone adjustments?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Do you not have them on long poles down to IWB height then? Or do you have them mounted high with keystone adjustments?
    We have an old building here. A false ceiling exists at about 12 feet high, and the poles roughly bring the projector down to about 9 or 10 feet high, with keystone adjustments.

EDIT: We've got a couple of longer poles in the new block but find these are more prone to shaking when kids are chucking (what sounds like) donkeys around upstairs.

Thank Post
    Jst for your info, if you are using a ladder they (acording to H& S E) you can only work from a ladder if the job you are doing only needs one hand you must have one hand on the ladder at all times, we use 2 man ladders with 2 opratives its the only safe way with out using a tower.
    And as said above, if it has been wrongly fited so the lamp cant be removed with out removeing the unit from its mount or part of its mount you have further problems, but what ever you do DO NOT OVER RUN THE LAMP its the biggest killer of projectors.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post
    DO NOT OVER RUN THE LAMP its the biggest killer of projectors.
    Out of curiosity, why?

Paul

Thank Post
    I love the way working at heights is treated as this dark mysterious art. I wonder on average how many people it takes to change a light bulb in a school? Especially once you include those who do the H&S paper work, order the bulbs, sort out financing, insurance, training etc.

Thank Post
    Hi Paul, the way lamps operate is often not understood you wont of course remember but during the WW2 we used search lights very large reflectors using 2 largs rods between which jumped a spark, this was a huge (bear with me) this produced a huge amount of light to light up aircraft in the sky. Ok now our little projector lamps are very like these, the large search lights had motor driven rods so as they burnt down the where driven together to keep the gap constant (impotant bit).
    Our little lamps cant do this so the gap gets bigger, so what the projector does is turn up the voltage in an attempt to maintain brightness over its life as the rods get eaten away (no one asleep yet?) So this has 3 downsides with larger gap the heat goes up as its a bigger spark and funnily enough it is not the heat that burns the LCD and polerising panals it is the UV light that increases exponentialy the third thing is the current goes up from the power supply with the attempt to maintain the brightness (nearly there).
    The power and ballest unit the control the lamp become stressed if they work too hard, by over running the lamp as the gap becomes to big so next lamp in will not be as bright due to the powersupply /ballest being stressed the first time (cost to replace ballest depending on unit 250 plus) and the UV may have dimmed by burning the polerising filters (yellowing).

So moral of the story DONT DO IT, change your lamp at around 2500 hrs regardless of how bright YOU still think it is and DEFINATLY DONT wait till it doesnt light anymore as this is way too late.

A maintained projector should easily last 7 to 8 years.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Last edited by Marc-Engineer; 7th January 2011 at 09:35 AM.

15. 3 Thanks to Marc-Engineer:

dayzd (7th January 2011), SimpleSi (7th January 2011), soveryapt (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Nothing will happen re this issue until someone hurts themselves badly and the HSE get involved and then a big letter will go out to all LAs/schools and then everyone will be very good for a while and then things will return to being unsafe

(As per the site supervisor who fell and seriouslty injured themselves a few years ago - TAs are back to standing on desks in high heels putting up displays!)

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast