+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Prometheans new interactive Whiteboard 500 series at BETT in Technical; Hi all, I noticed there was a post on the main page regarding Smart's new IWB at BETT. Just to ...
    Thank Post

Prometheans new interactive Whiteboard 500 series at BETT

Hi all,

I noticed there was a post on the main page regarding Smart's new IWB at BETT.

Just to be even handed Promethean will also be showcasing their new 500 series board at BETT in January.

The new board is intended to be a premium product to be added on to the current offering from Promethean.

It will be multi touch (up to 4 users) and wait for it.... Pen and finger activated!

The 500 series will initially be offered in 87" and 95" sized all in one systems.

No pricing has yet been announced nor have they given any definite dates for stock availability.

The 500 series will be on show at BETT in January(we will have one on our stand).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Does this mean that Promethean have finally seen the flame of learning that the human touch is key to interactivity and thus why, as far as I know, Steljes are the worlds largest suplier of IWBs due to the touchey feely nature of SmartBoards?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You know what I was just going to write something as catching up on emails see got something about from bett pr people about the subject.
    Russ

Thank Post
    Sorry to beat you to the punch Russ.

I've had a play around with the new system so if anyone has any questions just ask.

Thank Post
    Interesting to see both Smart and Promethean moving their technologies forward, Smart going for optical touch on their dual touch system, and Promethean going for pen and touch like Hitachi did three years ago. With interactive LCD prices falling all the time though, how much longer will board technology last? Will be an interesting Bett show for sure!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
    Interesting to see both Smart and Promethean moving their technologies forward, Smart going for optical touch on their dual touch system, and Promethean going for pen and touch like Hitachi did three years ago. With interactive LCD prices falling all the time though, how much longer will board technology last? Will be an interesting Bett show for sure!
    Smart already make overlays for LCD and Plasma screens, so fine not quite a touch LCD like used on EPOS, but its a step that way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Smart already make overlays for LCD and Plasma screens, so fine not quite a touch LCD like used on EPOS, but its a step that way.
    Microsoft Research was looking at making an LCD with interactivity built in directly, each pixel element will have the standard red, blue, yellow along with a light sensor. This would mean that the screen itself could detect touch down to a pixel level with no need for resistive or capacitive tech to make it work. I think that advances like this will probaly be integrated into all of the products that want to survive eventually or something smarter that has not been developed yet.
    Promised Microsoft Tablet 'No Thicker Than Sheet of Glass' - Slashdot
    Microsoft Patents Shape-Shifting Display - Slashdot
    Last edited by SYNACK; 15th December 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added links

Thank Post
    Microsoft Research was looking at making an LCD with interactivity built in directly, each pixel element will have the standard red, blue, yellow along with a light sensor. This would mean that the screen itself could detect touch down to a pixel level with no need for resistive or capacitive tech to make it work. I think that advances like this will probably be integrated into all of the products that want to survive eventually or something smarter that has not been developed yet
    Very interesting articles linked to above. This development along with many others on LCD displays, could illustrate that there will be a market shift away from the traditional interactive whiteboard over the next few years. Which interactive technology then leads the way is harder to predict, but I suspect will be in conjunction with LCD in one form or another.

Thank Post
    I have already instaled some 50+ inch LCD screens with inbuilt PC nice units and with easy access to hard drive etc...

But i think LCD will be gione soon in favour of LED, they have lower power consuption and and for the ones i have seen apear sharper for the same resolution.

But i think projectors will be around for some time yet as they are comparativly cheap for the projected size compared to Screens, as for the new board it has up to 4 users at a time at once will be pretty crowded at the board? but interesting.

there are several new things that will become more comon like using an Android Arcos with your board remotely from the back of the class, yes the future is an interesting place to be......................

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    LED is an option to develop, but not sure of its reliability and longevity compared to LCD? Then again if the market in domestic TV's moves rapidly towards LED backlight then commercial interactive screens are sure to follow. Another technology to watch for are the interactive projectors, which Epson have led the way in 2010, but I know are going to see a few rivals appearing soon, and even keener prices. Wouldn't be such a bad idea for the Smart/Promethean domination to be shaken up a bit!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread