+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Camera's with external mic input in Technical; Media department are after a camera or two, they would like to be able to use tie-clip mics to get ...

Thank Post

Camera's with external mic input

Media department are after a camera or two, they would like to be able to use tie-clip mics to get some good quality dialogue when filming from a distance and/or in the wind etc.

Basically I would imagine they would go for any spec if they could be used with an external mic, I'm aware this is a 'rare' feature these days but its beyond difficult to filter out cameras based on this attribute.

Anyone know of a model that has this facility that is still 'available'? Seems like the product cycle on these things seems like 6 months!

By the way the budget is around 300 (much less than a 'professional' camera!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    I was going to suggest a canon 550D but that would be out of your budget unfortunately.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best bet might be to head to a local Jessops or similar - note the product number of a camera with an external input and then see what your supplier can do.

Certainly there's a fair few around with the feature - but annoyingly never mentioned in the specs...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    Basically I would imagine they would go for any spec if they could be used with an external mic, I'm aware this is a 'rare' feature these days but its beyond difficult to filter out cameras based on this attribute.
    External mic connectors seem to be coming back again, although for some reason generally a 2.5mm connection rather than the 3.5mm you get on PCs. The Sanyo Xacti range are good, and I know I've seen an external mic connector on several models - I'd second the advice above to have a look around Jessops and see what's available.

Edit: The Sanyo Xacti model VPC-HD2000EXBK-B, available for around 300, has a 2.5mm connector.

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 23rd November 2010 at 01:00 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread