+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Digital SLR camera in Technical; 50d etc... Semi pro 5d etc... Pro Cameras like the sony alpha do stabilisation in the camera body but there ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    50d etc... Semi pro 5d etc... Pro

Cameras like the sony alpha do stabilisation in the camera body but there are also lenses with motors in are also now available.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Will check out the Nikon 3100 but got suggested canon due to the motors being in the lense - not sure if this is the same as Nikon or not ??
    The Nikon uses a motor in the lens. Higher end Nikon models have a motor built into the body however this isn't used if the lens has it's own motor. This does mean that the D3100 isn't compatible (well the lens will work but with no AF) with some older Nikon lenses that don't have a motor built in. If you're planning to buy run of mill lenses this isn't a big issue.

The Nikon Vs Canon Vs Sony thing is very much like Mac Vs Windows Vs *nix. One isn't better then the other, it's down to what you find right. Don't just compare the spec, go and try the cameras. I bought Nikon over Canon because the Nikon in my price range felt right in my hand, the Canon didn't.

Thank Post
    I'd go with Nikon as my brand of choise, and get a Nikon D90 with the standard 18-55mm or 18-105mm kit lens to start with - you can always buy more len's as and when you feel you want them, but the standard kit lens' will be adequate for most people just starting out using a DSLR.

If you don't want to spend as much as that, then personally I'd look at a second hand D60 or D40x. I would avoid the D3000/5000 series, the build quality on the newer Nikon entry level DSLR cameras is rubbish in my opinion.

Once you have it, learn how to use it properly! I frown every time I see someone using one of our very nice DSLR cameras in the dreded auto mode - if you're going to buy a DSLR and just bung it in auto mode, you may as well get a good compact camera.
    Last edited by maniac; 2nd November 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I'd go with Nikon as my brand of choise, and get a Nikon D90 with the standard 18-55mm or 18-105mm kit lens to start with - you can always buy more len's as and when you feel you want them, but the standard kit lens' will be adequate for most people just starting out using a DSLR.

If you don't want to spend as much as that, then personally I'd look at a second hand D60 or D40x. I would avoid the D3000/5000 series, the build quality on the newer Nikon entry level DSLR cameras is rubbish in my opinion.

Once you have it, learn how to use it properly! I frown every time I see someone using one of our very nice DSLR cameras in the dreded auto mode - if you're going to buy a DSLR and just bung it in auto mode, you may as well get a good compact camera.
    Going to a camera shop this weekend and will see what they are like - I have been very tempted by the canon D550 though

Canon EOS 550D Product Tour EOS Digital SLR Camera - Canon UK

Is there a tour for a Nikon equivalent of the D550 ??

Thank Post
    I, like Tom, am a Canon fanboi and my 'new' body arrived yesterday... EOS 1Ds Mk III anyone?

Some tips for buying... if you have the cash, don't dismiss second hand bodies straight away. As people have said, they are still using bodies that are generations old and they are fine - my second body is a 1Ds which must be 10 years old now! There are some real bargains out there if you know what to look for.

I'm also not a fan of the 'kit lens' (that's the lens that they tend to supply bundled with a body). These tend to be plasticy and of no where near the same quality as all the other lenses. You will also see an f-number on the lenses. This is the maximum aperture and on this occasion smaller is better You want to be aiming for f2.8 really.

I'm sure I'll think of more tips... also do a forum search because a few similar questions have been asked before.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing to remember with digital SLRs is that the mm size of lenses does not match up with analogue cameras.

So, an 50mm lens on an analogue camera will produce an image with a larger field of view than a digital camera with a 50mm lens. With Canon's I think the multiplier is 1.6x (so a 35mm is the equivalent of a 56mm analogue shot).

Something to remember anyway!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    One thing to remember with digital SLRs is that the mm size of lenses does not match up with analogue cameras.

So, an 50mm lens on an analogue camera will produce an image with a larger field of view than a digital camera with a 50mm lens. With Canon's I think the multiplier is 1.6x (so a 35mm is the equivalent of a 56mm analogue shot).

Something to remember anyway!
    It's all down to the size of the image sensor in the camera, as explained here. Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    @localzuk: Full frame models (that's the 1Ds and 5D) have no crop factor. The 1D has a 1.2x crop and all other models are 1.4x crop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @localzuk: Full frame models (that's the 1Ds and 5D) have no crop factor. The 1D has a 1.2x crop and all other models are 1.4x crop.
    Indeed, however I doubt he's gonna buy a £2k camera for his first one

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for "try-it-out-yourself". When I got my Nikon D70s 5 years back, it was because the 350D was too small in my hands and gave me cramp, and it just felt plasticky and cheap compared to the heft and weight of the Nikon. Pick two equivalent models (based on price, they are fairly clearly delineated by price), don't worry about features but instead look for opinions on the image processing and if you want something more aggressive (traditionally Canon) for better pictures off the card, or something a bit gentler (traditionally Nikon) that gives you a better image for work with a digital post-prod. Check out how they deal with noise at high ISO settings as well - if one camera's noise @ 1600ISO is as good as another camera @ 400ISO, you're going to want the former for fast action shots.

And then, when you have your options, go down Jessops or Currys and hold them in your hand. Take a couple of photos (or pretend). See how you can reach the controls without having to lower the camera from your eyes, so you can make adjustments quickly. See how intuitive they are - another advantage to my Nikon at the time was the second scroll wheel at the front, where the Canon only had the one at the rear.

And when you look at getting a second lens, think carefully about the 50mm prime lenses. Canon & Nikon both do some excellent 50mm prime lenses at f1.8 & below, that will give you very clear, crisp images (much better than a zoom lens - less glass in the way) and don't cost all that much, as glass goes.

Hope some of this waffle helps!

Thank Post
    Indeed... just pointing out what the crop factors are. Of course a 1Ds or early 5D can be had for £500-£600.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Canon & Nikon both do some excellent 50mm prime lenses at f1.8 & below, that will give you very clear, crisp images (much better than a zoom lens - less glass in the way) and don't cost all that much, as glass goes.

Hope some of this waffle helps!
    The Nikon 50mm 1.8 doesn't have a focusing motor in the lens so won't autofocus on the d3100.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Not unless edugeek or someone on edugeek is paying

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12