+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Faulty SMART Tech Unifi 35 Projector - Recommended Repairers? in Technical; Sorry to throw up one of my old threads! But we've had another Unifi35 Projector go 'Pete Tong', tried all ...

Thank Post
    Sorry to throw up one of my old threads!

But we've had another Unifi35 Projector go 'Pete Tong', tried all the usual new bulb etc etc but no joy, and yes out of Warranty.

I know that the final solution will be to go back to ceiling mounted pole / projector solution etc, but just thought I would see if anyone they knew of any AV repairers (besides equinox) who repair this model?

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    If i could only get parts........even the manufacturers have distanced themselvs from this unit, sorry.

Just dont replace it with another DLP unit.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Hi Marc,

Yeah, came to the same conclusion after our first one went faulty last year.
    We decided to go with the Casio XJ-A140 projector (30 of them) when upgrading projectors during the beginning of the year. Although that model has now been replaced by the XJ-M140 now (bigger, lower zoom range).

So we will probably go back to ceiling mounted projectors or one supplier has suggested the Hitachi Ultra SHort Throw ED-A220NM.

Thank Post
    Yes the Hitachi is a nice unit not seen much problem with Hitachi altho i have seen one unusual problem that effects them in a Victorian school with suspended ceilings, they suffer a problem (very rare) in some schools of this type. I am unfortunatly wary of the Casio as i belive they will have a problem with half life in the method of the illumination unit in them they use a combination of laser and LED to get the colour blance and they age at differant rates, this will in time give you a colour tint only age will tell how bad this will get, i also find them not quite as bright as they claim and not quite as sharp as i would expect them to be. And people forget they still need cleaning same as any other projector and by this i mean a deep clean of the internal optics.

Very shortly you will see "true" LED projectors by other companies that are testing them now.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    We've replaced quite a few now with Benq units. One was an Ultra Short Throw unit which can go amazingly close to the board - BUT - it failed after 2 weeks, the 'engineer' replacing it was useless, plugged wrong leads in and couldn't align it to save his life. This replaced unit is now failing and BENQ support are pretty hopeless.

Thank Post
    Yes i am sorry they are not good in place of BENQ read Wolworths if you get my point.

They are OK for occasional use only

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    We have 14 UF55s and all have been swapped at least once, some swapped 3 times and all with colour wheel issues. They are now just out of warranty which I found out when I rang Steljes to say about the latest machine flashing away despite being regularly cleaned. The tech man offered to send me out a cleaning kit - first I heard there's a colour wheel cleaning kit so why has no-one else offered this over the last few years!!
    Another of our 55s has developed what Steljes say is probably a problem with the DMD chip going by the description I gave.
    They have quoted £150 to collect and look at it - £150!!! I have rung Equinox who will collect and look at it for £40 but they might not be able to get some parts as Steljes are the only authorised Smart reps in the UK who can get parts. ARGH!!
    I thought I'd look online to see if someone has put help on how to access the colour wheel so I can look myself but can't find anything.
    So now I need to consider whether to replace the projector with another but who to use, or whether to let Equinox have a look and hope they can sort it...

Any suggestions or advice would be fab

Thank Post
    Hi Just joined today.First up I am in the commercial sector and don't want to break the rules but will be asking how we can advertise. I agree with Marc Engineer the Unifi 35 were poor when new and the 45/55 also give trouble. It is possible to replace these with short throw units and also if required to keep the Smart manual wall riser - even though Steljes told a local school to scrap the Unifi 35/arm, wall riser and only the board was any use! They now have a new Epson and have retained the rise and fall. Don't go back to ceiling mounted units you dont need to. Epson or Hitachi both offer 3 year warranty with offers sometimes taking this to 5 years. As Marc commented the issue is parts, Steljes are a funny company to deal with and Unifi parts hard for any repairer to source. Could this be deliberate???

Thank Post
    So it is possible to keep the height adjustable Smart board yet get a different projector fitted?

Thank Post
    Hi S4r4h,

Yes. So far I have seen Unifi 35 and 45 replaced keeping the original Smart rise and fall unit. The image is much better - wouldn't be hard really -and you have to lose the Smart connection pod with PC connection by trailing cables or to a wall plate.

11. Thanks to nc700 from:

S4R4H (16th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nc700 View Post
    Hi S4r4h,

Yes. So far I have seen Unifi 35 and 45 replaced keeping the original Smart rise and fall unit. The image is much better - wouldn't be hard really -and you have to lose the Smart connection pod with PC connection by trailing cables or to a wall plate.
    Thanks nc700, I'll look into it some more as I've had someone who fits projectors say it isn't possible with the unifi 55 combo plus adjustable board to replace the projector with anything apart from a Smart one

Thank Post
    I think you will find that is the Smart (UK) stock answer. Its the one we got too. I am convinced it can be done with a UF55 as well albeit with some creative thought. We had a bracket made and re weighted the balance. I have emailed the webmaster to ask about an advert so we can promote these solutions.

Thank Post
    I have fitted hitachi Units to the rise and fall smart system depending on what rise and fall system you have as there are several?

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post
    I have fitted hitachi Units to the rise and fall smart system depending on what rise and fall system you have as there are several?

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    I believe the brick shaped orange Hitachi's fit... Also some of the Epsons, but i'm not sure what models.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    We had 10 Unifi 35 units in our school. Only 3 remain and one of these has finally died this morning - yes, on the last day of term!
    I have been replacing them with ceiling mounted or wall mounted short throw units depending on location.
    If there is a reasonably straightforward way to connect a 'standard' short throw projector and re-use the existing wall mount and boom arm I would love to know.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast