+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Faulty SMART Tech Unifi 35 Projector - Recommended Repairers? in Technical; Really easy as I'm sure you've found I'm bumping this as I have a Unifi here and it shuts down ...
    Thank Post
    Really easy as I'm sure you've found

I'm bumping this as I have a Unifi here and it shuts down after a few minutes. Cleaned thoroughly with canned air and replaced the bulb. Exactly the same problem.
    Anyone have any suggestions or can recommend an engineer within range of Portsmouth?

Thank Post
    Treat it is just the same it has a large heat sink but otherwise the same as any lamp to replace.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    I've had a bad experience with Equinox. They required payment by credit card and would not give us an invoice to process, Charged an awful lot to replace what sounded like a cooling fan (130 before even quoting for a repair!) and took weeks over it!

That was last year. In the last week or so another of our UF35 projectors is exhibiting the same problem. Did anyone find an alternative company that repaired on-site in the end?

Thank Post
    I would think the chances of a repair on site are nil, it would be a workshop job, and to be honest with you, DLP projectors do not have a good success rate in repair, Problem is the unifi range have as far as i know , no other replacement other than a unifi.

Try a lamp first, if you have a noise like a fan are your colours correct and contrast, if the answer is no them it could be a VERY expensive repair as DLP are very very difficult to set up for colours and contrast.

Most repair centers will not touch Unifi units.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Aaarggg!! Our Unifi35 in the hall is playing up again, having changed the bulb a few weeks ago. When we switch it on the bulb comes on for about 10 seconds and then goes out!

If this projector has now really reached the end of it's life can anyone recommend another wall mounted projector that we can use in the hall connected to the Smartboard. Preferably NOT Unifi!

Mel

Thank Post
    Well you can of course use any wall mounted projector the Epson the Hitachi, i think in this instance the Hitachi EDA101 (with mount) should cost you around 900 (400 cheaper than Unifi and more reliable) it also has 5 years on site cover.
    If you cant install that would be around 100 for an engineer to do it for you

Marc
    Projecor Engineer

Thank Post
    I have 5 of these projectors that are just out of warranty. I have set up a maintenance agreement with eqionox where they come on site and clean etc the kit twice a year. Pleased with first visit as very thorough. However I have a faulty front lamp fan in one of the projectors and there are no spare part fans according to both steljes and equinox. So if anyone knows of a fan or is scrapping a projector and could let me have the fan out of it I would be grateful. I guess I have nothing to lose by trying to replace the fan myself!!!

Thank Post
    I can't believe how BAD these UF35's are. We have 30 of them , over the 3 year warranty over 20 have been swapped. Such a terrible design with at least 4 major inherent faults.
    We've started replacing them with a boom and Benq short throw projector - all in 600,. brighter and better in every way. I'll never buy another Smartboard after this and the way Stelges have acted. If they had any concept of customer service they'd replace them outside of warranty as unfit for purpose.

Thank Post
    Just to clarify, DLP does not rule out the fan its just the disk that creates the colours spins at a fairly high rate this is one of the common faults of the DLP projector and the main reason why they are so unreliable and difficult to repair, the noise from this is often confused with a noisey fan, after a while they can become very noisey and in a lot of instances start to viberate at this point you may start to lose contrast and colour definition.

This is why many companys will not lower themselves to produce DLP projectors, also light output from DLP because of the way they produce colour can be between 20 to 30% down per lamp watt.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    This has made for some interesting reading. Our new site has a lot of these units in place and I'm disheartened to hear they have such a high failure rate. I do however see you can get a retro fit for the unifi55 onto older boards which may be an option if I start to encounter the same issues. What are people's experience with the 55 models? I hear they're a lot better.

Interesting read about DLP projection too. I understand they rely a lot more on mechanics for picture & colour but it didn't sway our decision to go with our lovely Sanyo PDG-DHT100L. It's a very nice bit of kit, colour is fantastic and it's very reliable once set up correctly, particularly with the 2-lamp system and 'automatic' filters. So far it has paid for itself (which I should add was a rather extortionate amount), with use by film societies, conferences, productions etc everyone has been nothing but happy, although not quite as bright as one could hope. An excellent complement to our theatre... (sorry, I'm just bragging now)

Thank Post
    Unify 55, welllllllll..............do you want me to start?

no iv not seen as many faulty but they are not as old yet are they!!!

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Hahaa, yes that ultimate test of time! I'll probably be back here at some point then

Thank Post
    Hi AVTechy,

I strongly recommend you avoid the Unifi 55 we have supplied a substantial quantity of them and the failure rate is colossal. We fitted them over an 18 month period and we are seeing failure of early, mid cycle and end cycle failures. Always the same problem flashing lights and shut off. The really frustrating thing is that many of the replacements - when they finally came (don't get me started on that!!!) also failed after a matter of weeks. The support is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by AVTechy View Post
    This has made for some interesting reading. Our new site has a lot of these units in place and I'm disheartened to hear they have such a high failure rate. I do however see you can get a retro fit for the unifi55 onto older boards which may be an option if I start to encounter the same issues. What are people's experience with the 55 models? I hear they're a lot better.

Interesting read about DLP projection too. I understand they rely a lot more on mechanics for picture & colour but it didn't sway our decision to go with our lovely Sanyo PDG-DHT100L. It's a very nice bit of kit, colour is fantastic and it's very reliable once set up correctly, particularly with the 2-lamp system and 'automatic' filters. So far it has paid for itself (which I should add was a rather extortionate amount), with use by film societies, conferences, productions etc everyone has been nothing but happy, although not quite as bright as one could hope. An excellent complement to our theatre... (sorry, I'm just bragging now)

Thank Post
    That's very interesting Rokstar as we have seen no where near the failure rate you are alluding to on the 55's. The 35's certainly where a dog of a unit but as yet we have not had a lot of complaints from the 55's and we have supplied huge numbers of them. When you say substantial quantity how many are you talking and what percentage failure rate have you seen? Coud this have been a faulty batch?

Thank Post
    Hi Darrren,

I've pm'd you if you want to discuss further and I'm certain it's a major problem, Smart have confirmed this is a technical issue with the UNIFI 55 and does not appear to be restricted to a batch.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast