+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projector Remote Control Security in Technical; Hi I'm sick of buying replacement remote controls for classroom projectors - has anyone got a link to a place ...

Thank Post

Projector Remote Control Security

Hi

I'm sick of buying replacement remote controls for classroom projectors - has anyone got a link to a place that does "security" for them - ie a big cable thats screwed down & stuck on etc. I've seen the Vision & Pixie boxes and will appraise them for rooms where the remotes are already gone - but I'd like a way to ensure more remotes don't go "walkies".

Thanks

2. Thanks to SpuffMonkey from:

andyturpie (21st September 2010)

Thank Post
    Last year I had to spend out around £800 on replacement remotes and a few have gone missing again so far, so I will be watching this thread with interest

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I've started looking into chaining them down to the front desk using chain from the DIY store or steel rope looped through the remote (take it apart and drill a couple of holes to loop it through) and looped through an eyebolt in the desk then fastened into the loop so its long enough to turn it off and on etc but not long enough to be lost Seems to have worked in the first couple of rooms.

Thank Post
    We've started to put in wall mounted remotes made by Vision Techconnect. We get them from our local supplier Bits. They need a remote to program them, but seem to be doing the job perfectly. We are unlikely to buy any replacement remotes again, just these.

This looks like the newer version than what we have at the moment.
    Vision Techconnect Control V2 Learning IR Projector.. | Ebuyer.com

6. 3 Thanks to Chris_Cook:

Andrew_C (22nd September 2010), andyturpie (22nd September 2010), kearton (16th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Departments have to pay for the replacements, it's the only way. Amazing how many "lost" remotes were found when I announced this.

For our new build wall mounted controls have been specified for all rooms. I'm quite liking some of the equipment Vision are producing, I used their moduler wallplates when re-fitting our business and enterprise rooms last year, mainly because I could wire them easily myself as they use screw terminals and not soldered ones even for the VGA connection - a definitel win! Their wall mounted amps are pretty good as well, as are their speakers.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 21st September 2010 at 08:22 PM.

8. Thanks to maniac from:

AngryTechnician (22nd September 2010)

Thank Post
    Sorry, I didn't fully read the original post. I also saw these at while ago, but have never used them.
    RemoGuard
    remolder

However I still think my original suggestion looks neater, although more expensive.

Another solution we found for a vcr remote was using an old computer security cable with a loop that could be super-glued onto different objects. The surface area to be glued was sufficient to give good adhesion (about 1 inch x 1/2 inch). I wouldnt be confident about it stopping a thief/determined teacher, but it seems to stop it going walkies.

10. 2 Thanks to Chris_Cook:

andyturpie (22nd September 2010), SpuffMonkey (22nd September 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cook View Post
    We've started to put in wall mounted remotes made by Vision Techconnect.
    Thank You! I've used these in the past, but have lost the info on them.

Thank Post
    I love working in a girl's grammar, I've only had one remote reported stolen in the last three years.

.....and it was by a teacher who'd forgotten his projector was being replaced, the new remote was sat on his desk and the old one had been taken away.

At my previous school most teachers used to just climb on the furniture or pick on the tall kids to turn on their projectors.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 22nd September 2010 at 10:50 AM.

Thank Post
    The only problem with 'using the tall kid' is that everytime that projector is touched the image moves. We end up returning to a school without a remote after a few months to find a small (zoomed to fit) image that is not 'square' and all because the remote is missing. They are cheaper than they used to be - worth asking for a price, try Lamphouse
    Last edited by Itsmartie; 22nd September 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Thank Post
    I was looking for something better than this, but I tink I'll stick with it given the other options :-

KPMS

Thank Post
    I've used the remo guard before and it works very nicely thankyou...

Remoguard

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Departments have to pay for the replacements, it's the only way. Amazing how many "lost" remotes were found when I announced this.

For our new build wall mounted controls have been specified for all rooms. I'm quite liking some of the equipment Vision are producing, I used their moduler wallplates when re-fitting our business and enterprise rooms last year, mainly because I could wire them easily myself as they use screw terminals and not soldered ones even for the VGA connection - a definitel win! Their wall mounted amps are pretty good as well, as are their speakers.

Mike.
    Ditto here, as you state, its amazing how many are suddenly found when they are told this, most come back from home after being put in pocket when at school and inadvertently taken home where they would stay and eventually be thrown out by the teacher or staff member instead of being brought back to school.

I am looking at re-doing our asset management system with asset tags which will be stuck to the back of the remote and will be registered as that unit belonging to that room so that staff cannot pinch the other classroom remotes also.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    @bossman all our remotes, in the rooms that have them still, have the room number engraved under the battery's and written in pen on the surface so its obvious where it has come from / been borrowed from.

All new fit out rooms as part of our refurbishment are getting a wall mounted controller in rather than a remote to loose, already the Science Department have been thrilled with them as its no more remote to loose As we replace other projectors around site we will wire them up for the same units and as and when I'm provided with funds / departments pay up they can also have wall mounted hard-wired remotes.

Thank Post
    Remoguard..

We bought them for our temporary building to

A) stop theaft by students ( who susequently use them to p...s of the teachers )
    B) stop accidental loss
    C) stop teachers having their own in case they turn up in a room and ther is not one
    D) Prevent battery teaft.

paid for themself in a term or two and we moved them to the new building.

Rob

Thank Post
    Or you could buy Epson projectors remotes less than £10 and original.

for other makes you can get self adhesive loops for attaching small chains etc they cant be removed with out wrecking the remote they are in most stationers catalogs.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast