+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Promethean boards, Vista & Keyspan adapters in Technical; Hi All, Just after a bit of advice, I am currently working on a site that has old style promethean ...

Thank Post

Promethean boards, Vista & Keyspan adapters

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice, I am currently working on a site that has old style promethean boards (Serial only). The school has upgraded there machines to new ones which don't have serial ports and are running Vista. We have downloaded the latest version of the Keyspan software (vista compatible) and promethean software, but cannot get them to work.

Any ideas? Has anyone used keyspan (serial to USB) adapters with Vista?

Thanks

Phil

Thank Post
    Hi,

The Keyspans should deffinitely work - if I remember rightly, there was an 'older' model of Keyspan that Keyspan themselves didnt actually support after XP - they have a model number on them - and I think it was the 19HS that do work, and the 19QW that Keyspan stopped supporting.

One thing to make sure of, is that you have installed the serial part of the driver. On the latest version (which is on the Promethean Planet website), you have the option to install Serial and USB or USB only - with the USB only option being the default - so it may be that the serial part wasn't installed.

Anyhow, if you can get both the Keyspan driver installed, and the serial part of the board driver, you can then check in Device Manager which port the Keyspan has assigned it's self to (in Ports -> COM and LPT it will say Keyspan Serial Port - COM 3 or something), then, click on the Promethean icon in the system tray -> Control Panel -> Connections and select the relevent COM port and click 'Connect' - all being well, it should then connect and start giving you interaction.

If your still having trouble, it might be worth giving our support guys a call, and they would be able to walk you through getting everything sorted.

Good Luck!

3. Thanks to cmssbrie from:

Educare_AV (10th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Just a thought - if you don't have the right version of the keyspans, put out a request on edugeek. I couldnt get any at all and asked if anyone had any. A couple of lovely edugeek people sent me them by the next post!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmssbrie View Post
    Hi,

The Keyspans should deffinitely work - if I remember rightly, there was an 'older' model of Keyspan that Keyspan themselves didnt actually support after XP - they have a model number on them - and I think it was the 19HS that do work, and the 19QW that Keyspan stopped supporting.

One thing to make sure of, is that you have installed the serial part of the driver. On the latest version (which is on the Promethean Planet website), you have the option to install Serial and USB or USB only - with the USB only option being the default - so it may be that the serial part wasn't installed.

Anyhow, if you can get both the Keyspan driver installed, and the serial part of the board driver, you can then check in Device Manager which port the Keyspan has assigned it's self to (in Ports -> COM and LPT it will say Keyspan Serial Port - COM 3 or something), then, click on the Promethean icon in the system tray -> Control Panel -> Connections and select the relevent COM port and click 'Connect' - all being well, it should then connect and start giving you interaction.

If your still having trouble, it might be worth giving our support guys a call, and they would be able to walk you through getting everything sorted.

Good Luck!

This worked a treat, many thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally instead of using adapters i would switch your serial cables to USB.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Personally instead of using adapters i would switch your serial cables to USB.
    This was our first option, but after contacting numerous different suppliers we were told that the original Prometheans IWB cables, are obsolete.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread