+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, In-wall amplifiers in Technical; Currently looking at some in-wall amps as they seem to be neater for installations. For those who are using Nuvo ...
    Thank Post

In-wall amplifiers

Currently looking at some in-wall amps as they seem to be neater for installations.

For those who are using Nuvo jobbies, how do you hide the power supply?
    Does it plug into the back of the unit (meaning it would need to be hidden in trunking)?
    How big is the power supply?
    Does it use standard spring-clip terminals for the speaker outputs?

For those using Sahara units:
    PDF leaflet indicates that the PSU plugs into the front panel, how have you hidden the power supply?
    How big is the power supply?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    One thing I'll say on the Nuvo side of things - they have a rather high failure rate. We've had 10% of ours replaced or serviced due to failure within the first 2 years. We now have a regular maintenance shedule which involves removing all units during summer to run switch-cleaner thru the volume knob contacts and input sockets. Also, staff have a tendency to snap the source selector switch, and to snap off jackplug tips in the wall socket...

3. Thanks to Marci from:

Busybub (28th June 2010)

Thank Post
    (Touch wood) we've never had a problem with the Nuvo amps. The PSUs are generally held inside a piece of trunking fastened directly beneath or to the side of the amp. In new-build rooms where we have dado at the front of the class, the PSU can even be hidden inside the bottom compartment. The PSU connects via screw terminals (as does the speakers) and they even supply a little screwdriver!

5. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Busybub (28th June 2010)

Thank Post
    I agree with ,marci, we found the problem to be overheating , ie teachers never turning them off overnight or weekends or holidays, it is not advisable to hide the psu inside dado trunking as we have found these to generate a high level of heat when hidden in such a way, we tend to use two black fixings on the wall and use tiewraps to hold the psu inplace, the connecting end of the power lead(to the amp) can be cut down to length so as to not have as much cable to "hide" within trunking etc. If you do this its worth noting that the cable with the writing on is the plus terminal to the amp, another option is the techconnect amp
    Vision Techconnect V2 TC-AMP2 Stereo AMP 2 x 20W - Misco.co.uk
    These are another option and are starting to become quite popular with my customers, the amp and all connecting modules can be housed in one twin faceplate and saves having another single facplate where your nuvo amp is situated, keeps things neat and tidy with all connections in on place, you will still have a psu to mount somewhere but these are a fairly good option in considering using an inwall amp,only thing is with this option is that you will have to source a set of speakers, but in the case of nuvo you can buy the speakers and amp as one bundle for around 100 quid ,
    Hope this helps out

7. Thanks to hullpete from:

Busybub (28th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks chaps.

Keep it coming, this is all useful stuff...

Any Sahara users out there?

Thank Post
    I used 3 of the Vision tech connect amps with either their ceiling speakers or wall mounted speakers in our enterprise area that we constructed last year, and overall they've been brilliant. Only critisism is they are a little tinny and lack any real bass response, but for an in-classroom sound system they're very good and plenty loud enough. Kit comes with the right back boxes as well, or buy a tech-connect wall plate and you can fit it in there along side the connections so it's all neatly done in one double backbox. They have two switchable inputs as well, which is handy (not sure if any of the others do, as I've not checked)

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    overall they've been brilliant. Only critisism is they are a little tinny and lack any real bass response,

Mike.
    This may be down to the speakers as well, you may want to look at ceiling tile speakers rather than the standard ceiling speakers as these tend to give a better overall sound from a smaller amp driving them.

Thank Post
    Try the edis model. This is new out and seems to be quite popular. If you want further info i can give you more details

Thank Post
    we tend to used these speakers,
    Sahara pair powered wall speakers & brackets small from Wedgwood AV Ltd

seems to be good for a classroom not had any problems so far, i have used nuvo amps before and found that they fail quite off normally a case of over heating.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenC View Post
    This may be down to the speakers as well, you may want to look at ceiling tile speakers rather than the standard ceiling speakers as these tend to give a better overall sound from a smaller amp driving them.
    We ordered them as a kit from Misco so I didn't get much choise in the speakers - I kinda assumed they should work well together as they were being sold as a kit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread