+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, FLIP Video: Deploying FlipShare in Technical; Has anyone managed to deploy flipshare? There is an msi provided but it doesnt seem to work as all we ...

Thank Post

FLIP Video: Deploying FlipShare

Has anyone managed to deploy flipshare? There is an msi provided but it doesnt seem to work as all we get is a message saying its completed, although the software is not actually installed.

Thank Post
    if you try the msi manually it basically says run the exe. I jsut bit the bullet and did it manually on the laptop trolley it was required on

Thank Post
    I guess I'll have to dig deeper as our district purchased one for dang near every teacher. So that means installing it on 100-200 PC's. Oh boy.

Thank Post
    I managed to get the software to install via a GPO. Start the installer(the .exe). Don't go through the prompts, instead find the temp files the executable extracted (check user profile\local settings\temp in XP). Copy everything in the folder just to be safe. Open the msi in ORCA or your favourite MSI editor and remove the launch condition table. It will install without nagging about the exe anymore.

I haven't tested this with a camera yet, but the software seems to be fully functional.

One issue I did have was that the software ignored my special folders location(My Videos, etc.), which I had changed via a script. Another script fixed that right up though, but then I needed to have a robocopy script move the FlipShare Data dir to the redirected folder location for My Videos. Phew..

5. 3 Thanks to stevehp:

gavins38 (7th December 2010), JWalker (11th October 2011), LCPSWolf (8th June 2010)

Thank Post
    I never bothered with the flip software just (CC3) packaged up the Xvid codec/driver that's on the camera and allocated that. I'm sure something similar would work on a vanilla network. The camera then plugs in and appears as a USB drive just like a digital camera, you can then just drag and drop the video files to your workstation and edit with your video editing software.

Thank Post
    stevehp,

Awesome about the Orca modification! Worked like a charm.

Thank Post
    what version are you using ive just downloaded 4.1.4 and tried it installs reboots the pc thenm wont run

Thank Post
    Sted,

I've got 5.6 modified to a deployable MSI. It seems to install & run fine on our XP SP3 computers. Let me know what I can do to help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPSWolf View Post
    Sted,

I've got 5.6 modified to a deployable MSI. It seems to install & run fine on our XP SP3 computers. Let me know what I can do to help.
    where did you get 5 from i could only find 4 on their site

Thank Post
    It's from the autoupdate that FlipShare does. When you open up 4, it should check for an update. When the update is in progress, go to the %temp% directory - it should be located in the most recently created folder in that directory - just pull the .msi and other files from the folder and you should have the version 5 package.

12. Thanks to LCPSWolf from:

sted (17th June 2010)

Thank Post
    thanks why cant i just download 5 damed fool software companies

Thank Post
    dosent seem to want to update and cant see any way of forcing it though i imaging thats due to leas poxy proxys

Thank Post
    The US website for FLIP has version 5.6 available for download. The site specifies that's it's US only, so I'm not sure what, if any modifications they would do for you guys across the pond. If you'd like to try the file I will would be glad to get it to you somehow.

Thank Post
    i saw the us one but as it said US only i wasnt sure if it was a good idea. I now have a msi that works on my quick test (not found a cameras yet) thanks to LCPSWolf so when i get 10 mins im going to go raiding drawers etc for a camera

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    what version are you using ive just downloaded 4.1.4 and tried it installs reboots the pc thenm wont run
    I installed 4.1.4 after removing the launch condition and got the same error. Little messing about comparing the registry keys on the 'corrupted' install with an install done via the setup file revealed that the locale keys in the registry were missing. There's two ways to fix this: Push the correct registry settings via an ADM in group policy/or login script, or change the registry table in the original .msi file. Personally, I'm going for the .msi hack as it's neater all round I think.

Registry keys are stored in HKLM/Software/Flip Video/FlipShare and are:

language: en_uk
    locale: en_uk
    region: international

In the .msi file, in the registry table, it's the third entry to sixth entry on the table you need to change. Same as above.

On another note, whilst messing about with all of this, it also downloaded and gave me the chance to update to 5.9, which I did, and I grabbed the new 5.9 .msi out of the %temp% dir. This changed the registry settings to just:

locale: en_uk
    region: international
    useagestatsenabled: 1

I changed useagestatsenabled in the registry to 0 with no problems, and changed it, and the other two keys, in the .msi registry table (third option down in the 5.9 .msi).

Tested both the 4.1.4 install with changed registry table values, and the 5.9 install with changed values, as a GPO install on clean computers, and both put in the correct registry values and worked first time.

Lastly, I will say that I noticed that the 4.1.4 install installed 3ivx as well, but a clean install of 5.9 doesn't. I've no idea how much trouble that will cause if it's missing, but I'm sure I'll find out.

Cheerie,
    Monty

18. 2 Thanks to Monty1157:

Arthur (11th November 2010), gavins38 (7th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast