+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Smartboards and whiteboard markers... in Technical; ... Are never a good mix. Someone has gone and written a message on one of our Smartboards with a ...
    Thank Post

Smartboards and whiteboard markers...

... Are never a good mix.
    Someone has gone and written a message on one of our Smartboards with a non-permanant whiteboard marker (I do feel sorry for her, she didn't realise it was anything other than an ordinary whiteboard, and she's really upset). The majority of it has come off, but it's smudged and you can still see the writing. If it was an ordinary whiteboard I'd crack open the ethanol early, but seeing as it's not, I'm hesitating somewhat. One member of staff has suggested standard whiteboard cleaning wipes, but I don't find they work too well in ordinary circumstances. Does anyone have any tried and tested ideas?
    Many thanks

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Applies to: SMART Board™ 500 series and 600 series interactive whiteboards
    Issue
    How to remove permanent marker ink on a front projection SMART Board interactive whiteboard and long-term
    care for the writing surface
    Solution
    Solution One
    Use a commercial cleaner such as ExpoŽ Board Doctor and follow the instructions included with the product to
    remove the permanent ink marks.
    Solution Two
    Use a standard or high-odor dry-erase marker. (Standard or high-odor dry-erase markers contain solvents that
    work to remove permanent ink.) Avoid using low-odor or non-scented dry-erase markers because they don't
    contain the appropriate solvents.
    1. Cover the permanent ink with the high-odor dry-erase ink.
    2. Wipe the screen with a soft cloth while the ink is still wet.
    NOTE: Do not allow the dry-erase ink to dry before wiping the screen.
    3. Spray Windex glass cleaner or Expo Cleaner on a soft cloth and wipe off any remaining ink marks. Do not use
    harsh abrasives as they will damage the screen surface.
    Tips for the Long-Term Care of Your SMART Board Interactive Whiteboard
    • Use only standard, high-odor dry-erase markers. These markers usually display a warning to use them in wellventilated
    areas.
    • Don't use low-odor dry-erase markers such as Expo2 markers as they are more difficult to completely remove
    • Erase any dry-erase ink from the screen as soon as possible. Don't leave ink on the writing surface overnight.
    • Before using a cleaner, remove excess dry-erase ink residue with a damp cloth
    • Clean the writing surface with Windex glass cleaner or Expo Cleaner at regular intervals, or whenever you
    notice that the dry-erase ink has not been completely removed by erasing alone. Using any other cleaner may
    damage the writing surface and make it more difficult to clean in the future.
    • For stubborn stains, use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to clean the writing surface
    • Never use abrasive chemicals or cleaners to clean your interactive whiteboard
    • Never use adhesive tape on your interactive whiteboard, as removing the tape could damage the top layer of
    the writing surface

3. Thanks to creese from:

solitaire89 (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, but it's not a permanent marker though... I think I'm coming down on the IPA to get it off, not having any of the board doctor stufff...

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    Thanks for that, but it's not a permanent marker though... I think I'm coming down on the IPA to get it off, not having any of the board doctor stufff...
    Yes, I realised that but it does list the type of cleaner that doesn't damage the board which i though would be useful. Good luck with it.

Thank Post
    Thank you - I'd just got visions of the aforementioned member of staff covering the whole board in the same pen, and trying to remove the whole damn lot

Thank Post
    I'm sorry, but how the heck can you *not realise* that's not a regular whiteboard?
    Surely the pen tray, the big "SMARTBoard writing" in the top-right, the plasicty feel, the coloured outline, the projector mounted and pointing at it........ ANY of that would be a clue?!?!?

If it were me, ideally, I'd be billing her department/company for either the professional cleaning, or a new one.
    But knowing this place, my budget would have to pay for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    I'm sorry, but how the heck can you *not realise* that's not a regular whiteboard?
    Surely the pen tray, the big "SMARTBoard writing" in the top-right, the plasicty feel, the coloured outline, the projector mounted and pointing at it........ ANY of that would be a clue?!?!?

If it were me, ideally, I'd be billing her department/company for either the professional cleaning, or a new one.
    But knowing this place, my budget would have to pay for it.
    Because the lady in question is around 80 years old, and has only just got her head around the idea the blackboards don't exist anymore, let alone the notion of a board that you don't actually use pens on... she's one of our very long established extra-curricular tutors I just feel so sorry for her - she's mortified!

On the plus side - thanks for the info Creese, it's all gone now - not a mark to be seen. But want to know what really is annoying about this whole thing? I rush down to placate the teacher and remove it, only to be told that the projector bulb has gone, and has been gone for a while...

Thank Post
    you sound surprised!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
    you sound surprised!!!
    Is that @ me?! If you mean about the projector bulb, I'm not surprised, just peeved! Oh well, at least I know it's gone now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread