+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, After some VERY secure projector cages... in Technical; is it sometimes not cheaper to replace projectors that are stolen instead of buying security for everything?...
    Thank Post
    is it sometimes not cheaper to replace projectors that are stolen instead of buying security for everything?

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    is it sometimes not cheaper to replace projectors that are stolen instead of buying security for everything?
    OK, I'll bite; that would entirely depend on how many times you lose projectors and the cost of the damage caused during the break ins.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    OK, I'll bite; that would entirely depend on how many times you lose projectors and the cost of the damage caused during the break ins.
    :P agreed, we have been lucky here and rooms tend to be secure. I have used a couple of the Unicol alarms in the past but as mentioned before its not really a visible deterrent.

for the record I would also recommend Top-Tec, we use a lot of their products now. They are loads cheaper and just as good as unicol. The LCD security brackets are excellent.
    Last edited by dirtydog; 28th May 2010 at 09:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    Cost of other damage is largely irrelevant, surely, as the thief will have smashed the window / kicked the door in / etc before realising that the projector was in an impenetrable security mount. That said, cages would deter the "inside job" thieves, as they would already know they existed.

My issue with a lot of these "security" products is they use standard "security screws". Since a security screwdriver costs less than a fiver, they're only marginally more secure than cellotape...

I used to work one place where they had been advised not to lock internal doors, as thieves will cause more damage to these in the process of stealing stuff - possibly just an insurance company trying to minimise pay-outs though!

Thank Post
    Sad to say, but it is highly possible that the people involved in these thefts have links to the school, so whatever method you use make sure your students know about it. Our projectors have a really big "this product is PIN coded" come up every time you turn them on, which the students obviously see; put stickers on them cages to say they're security ones, put obvious labels that you use Smart Water or whatever. Deterrent is the key, and it may well be your own users you are trying to deter so make sure they know how difficult it will be.

Thank Post
    Can I ask are you using the orange coloured no button projectors? I would also advertise as enjay has said with stickers potentially on ground floor windows as well.

In terms of cages there are some insurance graded products from memory BOSS cages are some of the most secure on the market. And make sure all fixings are security bolts rather than standard alan key fixings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenC View Post
    Can I ask are you using the orange coloured no button projectors?
    Que ??

Thank Post
    There are models of a number of manufacturers projectors (Hitachi, Sanyo etc...) which are made specifically for the education market. They are a delightful tango orange colour and generally come loaded with additional security features such as pin code locks, watermarks and often with no buttons on the actual unit itself so can not be used without the remote.

The idea came from France where they were giving laptops to pupils which made them a target for muggings and theft so they coloured all pupil laptops bright blue. This reduced the theft rate by 95%.

Similarly Joe Robber would have a much harder time selling the projector if it clearly came from a school environment (and in fairness who wants an orange projector?).

This will not guarantee to stop the problem but is again another form of deterrent.

Thank Post
    Surely the "orange only in education" deterent only works if the public at large know that too, otherwise they'll happily buy an orange one off eBay without realising it is stolen...

Thank Post
    True, however I think you would be hard pushed to find a unit on ebay that was not from a reseller.

Its also as enjay said its often someone associated with the school who have a hand in these issues and if it is made clear at school why the projectors are orange it may be a bit more of a deterrent.

As others have said if someone wants to steal a projector they will no matter what its just about making it harder for them and less worth their time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Got a super duper secret project that not even jesus is allowed to know about right now, this should be interesting
    Are you going to morph into a cupboard like Odo from DS9?

Thank Post
    another three gone, yes THREE!!! So far this has been one hell of a monday morning!

Thank Post
    Sounds like you have a wider issue that just projectors. If you were to get the cages you're looking for, the thieves would likely just steal something else, so maybe your school should be looking at how these people are getting in in the first place and plug that gap rather than working on securing individual items once they're in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    May I make a suggestion? Alarm the rooms, motion sensitive lighting and CCTV?

Thank Post
    CCTV is in place though only half of it actually works - the site manager is too lazy to do anything about it, he always says there isnt enough money, though things like this clearly show he has to do SOMETHING about it.

Corridors are all alarmed, though obviously individual classrooms aren't, i don't know why that is - sadly not my job to have something done about this, all i can do is complain

motion sensitive lighting is in place in the newer buildings but none of the old ones, which is where the thefts are occuring.

Even this morning i told him about the thefts and he just expected me to sort it out, security is his job not mine, im on my own from 8am - 9:30 until the second techy here starts work, i had a visitor coming this morning so didn't really have time to deal with it - his excuse is "well im on my own too", even though 10 minutes later i see him walking around with another member of the site team o_O

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast