+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Casio "Lampless" projectors in Technical; We've had a couple develop dead pixel spots however Casio have been excellent in sending us out a replacements while ...

Thank Post
    We've had a couple develop dead pixel spots however Casio have been excellent in sending us out a replacements while the faulty unit is repaired. We've never had to pay to send a unit back they have always arranged pickup and delivery.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    We've had a couple develop dead pixel spots however Casio have been excellent in sending us out a replacements while the faulty unit is repaired. We've never had to pay to send a unit back they have always arranged pickup and delivery.
    Same here. The replacement arrived, then they collect the broken one, and when you get it back fixed, they collect the temporary replacement.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    From real-life use, I'd disagree entirely. I've *never* seen a normal projector lamp last 5000 hours. Ever. 2500? Sure. Having to swap lamps is not fun though. Its disruptive and annoying.
    Have you tried an Epson X11? they are very good on lamp life, and to change the lamp it can be done in situ its a one screw cover takes around 90 seconds.

It would be interesting from all the mentions of "no we have had no problems" BUT we have had two replaced , how many have been replaced or looked at out of how many fitted i think its about 1 in 15 fail within 2 years.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Last edited by Marc-Engineer; 15th November 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    There's a difference between having problems and swapping a projector out for missing pixels and it being repaired without quibble or cost and a substitute being provided in the interim.

Anything that doesn't require my regular attention is good in my book... I would never voluntarily go back to cleaning filters (surely the worst job EVER!) and seeing images discolour and fade while having to shrug and tell the member of staff that it's too expensive to get it deep cleaned and even then that might not work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post
    Have you tried an Epson X11? they are very good on lamp life, and to change the lamp it can be done in situ its a one screw cover takes around 90 seconds.

It would be interesting from all the mentions of "no we have had no problems" BUT we have had two replaced , how many have been replaced or looked at out of how many fitted i think its about 1 in 15 fail within 2 years.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Failure rate is no worse than the Sanyos, NEC's & Sony Projectors we have. The newer Signature series Casios generally seem more reliable though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I've got about 20 Casio's in now (only another 50 to go) and bar one that was DOA they have been faultless and other than a quick dust they are perfect, staff like them and me and my team enjoy them and have had "fun" fitting them all en-mass, (10 full AV systems in 36hrs was very much fun!) I won't be rushing back to the old style at all.

7. Thanks to john from:

Chris_ (19th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Why would you invest in a LED projector when you could do away with by using a LED touch screen we recently installed 5 65" genee touch screens. They are far more responsive than whiteboards, displays clearer images and we don't have to worry about closing the blinds.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SchTechGuy View Post
    Why would you invest in a LED projector when you could do away with by using a LED touch screen we recently installed 5 65" genee touch screens. They are far more responsive than whiteboards, displays clearer images and we don't have to worry about closing the blinds.
    Cost.

Existing whiteboard + pole/cabling etc... + Casio projector = about 800 maximum.

New screen = 3.5k, + installation (as they weigh a tonne).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    I have to agree that the touch screens are amazing and they are increasingly replacing projector/IWB combinations.

However, a new LED projector teamed with an existing interactive white board than a very large touch screen at the moment. Prices are tumbling though

Thank Post
    I work with AV and I cannot see the attraction of the Casio stuff. The image is poor compared to even an entry level Epson - dull and lifeles. I get the no lamp thing but do you really expect them to be in situ all that time? All education projectors have a 3 year warranty on the lamp - yet the casio is twice the price so any savings you make are way out there on the back end - thi initial purchase price is high
    With the latest interactive flat screens available - projectors will be phased out anyway

Thank Post
    65" might be too small.
    Even if buying new you can get a 95" with short throw projector for 2500 while a 65" tv is getting on for 4k
    All your eggs in one basket - boards last "forever", modern tvs do not.
    Walls may not be able to take the weight of a tv.

Thank Post
    I agree - theymight be - but the way prices are falling larger screens at affordable prices are just around the corner. I amseeing huge take off in the 55 & 65" screens now and we are certainly not talking 4k!
    Walls are not an issue really - there are floor supported stands to overcome that issue.

I dont think it will happen over night - but it is coming and the screens have a 3 year de-install re-install warranty and SMART are now promoting a new screen from BENQ that is bundled with the SMART software.

By the way - there is a new NEC UST that will give 120" image - and also has an interactive option.

I think the interactive projectors are great value for a large image but the larger touchscreens are coming!

They are great in primary schools where you want a low height - you cant do that with UST units and small kids dont need a big screen!

Thank Post
    I struggle with the price premium of the LED projectors too. Maintenance of existing kit doesn't justify double the price (or more) and I think in 3-5 years the technology evolution/differentiation will make the long life moot (interactivity, connectivity, 3D - etc).

My current big projector dilemma is nothing to do with work but what to buy for the "man cave". I'd probably quite like that to last 5 years...

Thank Post
    True - the new NEC units are quoting 8000 hours on standard projectors - so it willget better all the time.
    Just use your eduction connections for a projector for home mate - the costs of home cinema units in comparrison are quite scary!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345