+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Casio "Lampless" projectors in Technical; Think we're upto 10 of these now and they certainly are a good looking projector, a couple of people have ...

Thank Post
    Think we're upto 10 of these now and they certainly are a good looking projector, a couple of people have mentioned them as being a little duller than previous projectors but given the life of them its a fair trade off imo.

Thank Post
    Due to the way they work (red LED and blue laser onto green phosphor) the colours may be a little different to traditional projectors but as RTFM said for the lifespan its not a bad trade off, and do schools really need HD image quality in a classroom?

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if a (Casio) representative will come out and demonstrate them? Our LEA would be interested in seeing them in use. Or if any schools in West/East Sussex are using them?

Thank Post
    We had ours demonstrated on site by IDNS, they then supplied 6 of them for a very good price.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danielson81 View Post
    Does anyone know if a (Casio) representative will come out and demonstrate them? Our LEA would be interested in seeing them in use. Or if any schools in West/East Sussex are using them?
    We had casio themselfs come out and demo a unit. It was pretty good, the fan noise was a little louder than normal when using the non eco mode but apart from that they are great.

Thank Post
    Casio were going out to demo as no one had demo stock (except us!), however it is really up to the resellers to get out there with the products. Alex can I ask was it Alan or Phil that came to see you?

Si have you managed to get hold of one of these units yet?

Thank Post
    The only thing that concerns me with these projectors is like lamps LEDs and Lasers brightness will drop off same as a lamp so what is the half life of these units? and what if in 3 years time they are not bright enough? and you cant change the lamp?

I know the quality is not as good as a normal projector but the brightness does concern me, but saying that i have not had one apart yet so i reserve judgment.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post
    The only thing that concerns me with these projectors is like lamps LEDs and Lasers brightness will drop off same as a lamp so what is the half life of these units? and what if in 3 years time they are not bright enough? and you cant change the lamp?

I know the quality is not as good as a normal projector but the brightness does concern me, but saying that i have not had one apart yet so i reserve judgment.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Firstly, they have a 5 year education warranty, so if the lamp brightness is dropping off in 3 years, it would be a warranty issue.

Secondly, LEDs and lasers drop brightness at a much slower pace than traditional lamps, as the materials used are more stable and degrade less during use. Looking at a standard LED, you can expect a 70% brightness at around 25,000 hours - take into account the high temperature environment that the LEDs will be in, and you can obviously reduce that. Lasers have even less degradation than that.

Now, the issue is - would Casio be going around saying that the image won't degrade within their marketed 20,000 hour life? Doing so, and then finding that they did degrade would mean claims of false advertising could be made.

Finally, why do you say the quality isn't as good? It is certainly comparable to all the non-casio projectors we've bought in the last couple of years...

Thank Post
    Si have you managed to get hold of one of these units yet?
    No - I've decided that they won't give a large enough picture at "normal" .e.g Epson. throw distances and with the non-standard mains plug it means I can't replace existing projectors myself.

Since it costs me about £200 to have a projector mount/mains connection changed - there's not a great economic incentive to use them as replacement projectors.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How far from the board and how big an image are you wanting?

Also, do you not have a plug socket in the ceiling to simply switch over power cables?

Thank Post
    Casio did a demo for us. Wasn't blown away by the brightness/image quality but the life of the light source and the fact that it doesn't degrade like a traditional projector lamp seemed to outweigh that considerably. Personally, I hate DLP projectors but I'd have no problem if I started seeing them in our school.

12. Thanks to OllieC from:

Alis_Klar (18th April 2013)

Thank Post
    How far from the board and how big an image are you wanting?
    Too close and not big enough - the casio's are great at long throw distances but marginal (just mind you) at my normal existing projector distances - I've done the math (well used the proj throw distance website ) and played with one at the recent conference.

Also, do you not have a plug socket in the ceiling to simply switch over power cables?
    A lot of the time - no - power comes from extended mains lead from wall socket

And of course it would be illegal to cut the plug off the new lead and wire it to the existing wiring extension connector myself

And some of my celings in my old school are exceedingly high and would require scaffolding to get at the ceiling sockets!

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I am fully aware of LED life and in practice it tends to be shorter, but i see no published HalfLife as with plasma and LED TVs.
    My point is i am reserving judgement and as for quality they are not as sharp as most LCD projectors as mentiond above "after" my post "Wasn't blown away by the brightness/image quality" this is mentioned all over the forums you dont have to take my word for it?
    So as i say i will "for now" reserve judgement.

As for changing to a DLP projector , not a good idea we see more DLP than anything LCD are much more reliable and longer lived by a long long way, the reliablility of DLP and coulours leave a lot to be desired.

Any of the new LCD are good value the Epson X8 very good price now with 5 year lamp, and on site cover, and lamp replacement on just over £100

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danielson81 View Post
    We are using them - you'd have to trek across to south glos though...
    Work well for us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    No - I've decided that they won't give a large enough picture at "normal" .e.g Epson. throw distances and with the non-standard mains plug it means I can't replace existing projectors myself.

Since it costs me about £200 to have a projector mount/mains connection changed - there's not a great economic incentive to use them as replacement projectors.

regards

Simon
    You can get an adapter from maplins for under a fiver. C14 to C5 adapter should do the trick.

17. Thanks to diggory from:

SimpleSi (28th June 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast