+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, .Wtv to Wmv With Embedded Subtitles in Technical; Ok guys please help me out here !!! I'm currently carrying out the task of modernising our video recording process ...
    Thank Post

.Wtv to Wmv With Embedded Subtitles

Ok guys please help me out here !!!

I'm currently carrying out the task of modernising our video recording process and getting into the 21st century. We have a some hearing impaired students in the school, so the schools policy is to have subtitles embedded on every video we use.

I have a windows 7 Media Centre setup which records a .Wtv file which has the subtitle stream. I want to be able to stream the recorded tv/Video over the network with embedded burnt in subtitles.

I have been trying various programs but i cant get the embedded burnt in subtitles burnt onto the video. Can you guys help. Have you any ideas i can try .....

Many Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    I don't know if this helps, but there's a program called TTSubRipper that can extract TeleText subtitles from DVR-MS files and save them into SRT format. As there are a lot more programs that can work with subtitles in this format you should have better luck finding something which can hard-code them into your videos. I know MEncoder can do this. According to the TTSubRipper website, most programs simply ignore or discard the subtitles which could explain why you have had problems.

To get the WTVs into DVR-MS format in Windows 7, all you need to do is right-click each one and select "Convert to .dvr-ms Format". I don't have any videos in this format myself, so I'm not sure if doing this will keep the embedded subtitles. Hopefully it will.

If you need to convert the DVR-MS files into other formats like MPG or WMV you can use DVRMSToolbox or FFmpeg.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryaneveritt View Post
    I have been trying various programs but I can't get the embedded burnt in subtitles burnt onto the video.
    Just come across a program called AVI ReComp which can burn subtitles into videos (tutorial here). Might be worth a try if you still need to do this?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    To get the WTVs into DVR-MS format in Windows 7, all you need to do is right-click each one and select "Convert to .dvr-ms Format".
    I'm guessing the OP wants to automate this; if so, there's a program in c:\windows\ehome called wtvconverter which can automate this process.

Thank Post
    So Let me get the Steps Correct ... Use Wtv converter to convert to DVR-MS Then use somthing to get export SRT file then get MCE budy to convert to an AVI then use AVI recomp with the srt file to burn in the subtitles. and wallar !

What can i use to get the SRT file out of the DVR-MS file ??

So Open market for the programmers ! whos clever i just want a button which ses convert and let it do it all for me lol HELP ! I would buy the software off of YOU !!

Cheers Guys

Thank Post
    So let me get the steps correct...
    Pretty much. This is how I imagined it would work...

1) Convert your WTV files into DVR-MS format using WTVConverter.
    2) Use TTSubRipper to extract the subtitles from the DVR-MS files into SRT format.
    3) Use MCEBuddy* to convert the DVR-MS file(s) into an AVI using the "Xvid AVI (No Resize)" option. MCEBuddy can also work with the original WTV files if the video is in MPEG format.
    4) Hard-code the subtitles into the AVI using AVI Recomp. Make sure you follow the instructions in the tutorial linked above to prevent your videos from being converted twice (very important).

* Since MCEBuddy uses MEncoder to convert the DVR-MS files into other formats, you can edit the mencoder.conf located in the mplayer folder within its installation folder to modify the settings used for the conversion. For example, you could increase the bitrate of the audio and video to improve its quality if the end result isn't good enough.

What can I use to get the SRT file out of the DVR-MS file?
    Hopefully TTSubRipper. This whole process relies on the assumption that the subtitles get preserved though during the conversion from WTV to DVR-MS though.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank Post
    I have tumbled at the the 2nd step. I cant seem to get the Srt file out of the DVR-MS file. I have used CC extraxtor which produces a blank srt file and i cant get TTsubripper to Run on My Windows 7

elp !

Thank Post
    I can't seem to get the SRT file out of the DVR-MS file.
    After reading the manual for TTSubRipper, it looks like you have to use GraphEdit to extract the raw subtitles from the video, before it can convert them into SRT format. Did you follow these steps exactly (listed below for reference purposes)?

According to this post on the VideoReDo forums, the TTSubRipper author says it should work with WTV files so you may want to give that a try too.

Code:
    * Start up GraphEdit.
    * From the File menu, choose Render Media File, and open the DVR-MS file you want to get the subtitles from.
      It will pop up a warning message that it could not render some streams. This indeed refers to the Teletext data.
    * Now remove everything, except for the Decrypt/Tag box and your DVR-MS file.
    * You can do this by clicking on a box and then pushing the delete button on your keyboard.
    * Now connect pin 2 from the DVR-MS file to the Decrypt/Tag box, by clicking on DVR-out-2 and dragging the line to the Input pin of the decrypt/tag component.
    * In the Graph menu, click Insert Filters, and go to the Directshow Filters list, where you select the Dump filter.
      The program will now ask you for a location, call the file DUMP.FIL as TTsubripper looks for this specific name.
      For the location of the file, choose the folder you installed the TTsubripper program in.
    * You should now have a graph that is similar to this one:

http://www.extrabuttons.net/Graphedit-VIsta.jpg

* Now hit the green play button, and wait for a while.
      First the green button will turn to grey, and once the conversion has finished (might take a couple of minutes), it will turn to green again.
      The DUMP.FIL data will now have been created in the location you specified.
      This is the raw Teletext data, which still needs to be decoded.

* Now we 're ready for the real work.
    * Open a command prompt and go to the folder you installed the program in (CD \<installation folder>)
    * Make sure the DUMP.FIL file is in the same location.
    * From a command prompt, run the TTSUBRIPPER program, by simply typing: TTSUBRIPPER.
      It will now perform several phases.
      The whole process only takes a couple of minutes.
      However, during this process your CPU might easily go to 100%, so only run this while you are not recording a show. 
      The result should be four files in the same folder : "Subtitles.SRT", "Subtitles without colours.SRT", "Subtitles.HTM" and DUMP.DEC.
      The first file, "Subtitles.srt" contains all the subtitles, together with the times they are to be played, and the colours they should appear in.
      If you copy this file to the folder where your video is in, and you convert the video to MPEG2 or Divx, etc., and then rename your SRT file to the same name as your video, but with an SRT extension, DirectVobsub or Media Player Classic will automatically play the subtitles together with the video.
      The second file, "Subtitles without colours.srt" is meant to be used if you want to burn a DVD that contains the subtitles.
      DVD's do not support coloured subtitles, so you will need a white-only variant, and this is it.
      Subtitles.HTM is an HTML file you can open in your browser, that gives you an impression of how the subtitles will appear on screen.
      It can be very useful as a reference if you want to burn a DVD with the subtitles and you want to make sure that it remains clear at all times who said what.
      You might then change the subtitles a bit (for example, add "-" when speakers change).
      Finally, DUMP.DEC is the decode Teletext data, that is, ALL of it.
      Some people might find it useful to have a look at it, maybe write their own utility to extract data from it, whatever.
      You can of course delete any file you do not need for the purpose you want to use my utility.

I have used CC Extractor which produces a blank SRT file
    I could be wrong but CC Extractor only works for (NTSC) Closed Captions. Teletext subtitles are completely different which could explain why this didn't work.
    Last edited by Arthur; 9th June 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Thank Post
    While looking for other solutions I came across another media centre program called gbPVR which you might be interested it. This can be configured so that when you record a TV programme it creates a separate SRT file containing the subtitles from TeleText. This should make it a lot easier for you.

Thank Post

The Easy Way

I too have been looking for a similar solution for a long time.

The only thing I have found so far is AVS4You Video Editor. It will get you want you need with fewer steps.

1. convert wtv to dvr-ms
    2. load the dvr-ms into the AVS4You converter
    3. select "Track 1" from the file info page
    4. convert!

The original CC are converted to subtitles and burned in.

Let me know if this works for you or if you've found something better. I'd like to have something like this that is automated.

Thank Post
    Wow loaded up and converted to DVR-MS imported into AVS4You but i cant seem to select track 1 from the file info page. Nothing is selectable on it Any ideas !!!

Many Thanks !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontayne56 View Post
    Wow loaded up and converted to DVR-MS imported into AVS4You but i cant seem to select track 1 from the file info page. Nothing is selectable on it Any ideas !!!

Many Thanks !
    It may be that the program was not recorded with CC turned on. Try turning it on and recording a short clip with CC and see.

Thank Post
    Erm ..... getting back some old projects from the summer .... downloaded AVS 4 You 7.0 Damm if i can find the file info page now !! what version have you guys got ELP !!

Thank Post
    Ah version 6 and 7 are different ....

Thank Post
    It cant seem to find the Subtitles within the WTV File ?? any ideas ...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread