+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Camera for home use in Technical; Hello Folks, After digitising the videos of my wife and her sister growing up taken by her Dad, we're looking ...
    Thank Post

Camera for home use

Hello Folks,

After digitising the videos of my wife and her sister growing up taken by her Dad, we're looking into getting a camcorder for home.

Can anyone see any real downside between either this £100 jobby (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-VPC-CG...0666373&sr=1-2) or the Sony equivalents and the more standard £300 units like this one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-GZ-HD40E...1284063&sr=1-6)

I think the £100 unit will be more than enough, but I'm not really an AV nut so would appreciate some advice, especially if I'm about to make a cock up and buy something useless.

Cheers,

Matt

Thank Post
    Have you considered a flip camera?

I've got 1 of these and it works really well:
    Flip Video Ultra Camcorder 2nd Generation With 4GB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Thank Post
    Take a browse through Camcorders & Video Editing - AVForums.com

You will find lots of detail regarding different camera brands & advice when buying; the type & size of image sensor is critical to the quality of recording & like most things in life you tend to get what you pay for.....

Thank Post
    The JVC model in the more conventional form factor may be easier to get good stable shots with - you can put stabilise it on a table or something a lot more easily for a start.

Also remember to factor in the sound quality - the pictures aren't everything.

Thank Post
    Flip cameras tend to be easy to deal with and to integrate with a computer, so if you want something you're likely to carry around with you, they are worth a look. Go for one of their HD ones if you do plump for one. Sanyo do a similar thing ina sort of gun shape called the Xacti. If you think these memories are worth recording at higher quality, I would look out for camcorders which record in AVCHD format, which is high definition, but small file sizes. It's pretty spectacular. I would suggest that you look out for cameras with a mic socket so you have the option of plugging in a better mic, but I know from experience that there aren't many around in that price range. I like the Canon models because the lens is really really good, but JVC and pretty good too and very cheap for the quality you get. Hope that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread