+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Software to edit video/make DVDs/edit images in Technical; ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    88
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Question Software to edit video/make DVDs/edit images

    I have a budget of around £100(ex VAT) to spend on some software.

    These are my priorities:

    1. Edit video: I normally use Windows Movie Maker but the version on Windows 7 is not as good as the XP version.
    2. Produce DVDs: I use Windows DVD Maker which has been fine in the past but I'd like to move on a little more.
    3. Edit photos: I'd like some photo editing software. At the moment I use Windows Photo Story.

    I use Windows 7. The video files come from a Sony DCR-SR32E and the format of the files is MPEG2-PS.

    What would you suggest?

  2. #2

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,087
    Thank Post
    210
    Thanked 432 Times in 312 Posts
    Rep Power
    146
    I've always recommended pinnacle when people have wanted video editing software, as it does everything you could ever want for producing in house DVDs, it's reasonably priced and easy to use.

    Mike.

  3. #3

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Look at Sony Vegas Movie studio. I replaced the media suite that used pinnicle with this software as pinnicle just seemed to crash to much. they do a free 30 day trial if you want to test. it also links in with sony DVD architect for the DVD making. but i only use vegas then use DVD styler which is free for making the dvd's with menus

    Toby

    edit: Educational price for the version we purchased was around £50. if you want i will pm you the details of the guy that supplied it for me

  4. #4
    Rick2134's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    30
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Sony Vegas network error

    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Look at Sony Vegas Movie studio. I replaced the media suite that used pinnicle with this software as pinnicle just seemed to crash to much. they do a free 30 day trial if you want to test. it also links in with sony DVD architect for the DVD making. but i only use vegas then use DVD styler which is free for making the dvd's with menus

    Toby

    edit: Educational price for the version we purchased was around £50. if you want i will pm you the details of the guy that supplied it for me
    When trying to create a new project the following error occurs "Read only or invalid path. Please correct it."
    It looks like a permissions error but the user is able to write to the home directory. Any ideas?

  5. #5

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,772
    Thank Post
    1,308
    Thanked 804 Times in 698 Posts
    Rep Power
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by marcgr View Post
    I have a budget of around £100(ex VAT) to spend on some software.
    If you work in a school, ring up Serif and ask them to send you a copy of Serif Suite for evaluation. Certainly in the past they were pretty good about dishing out personal copies for people to evaluate, you just needed to ring up and ask.

    Otherwise, the twin-pack of Adobe Premier Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements is probably worth a look.

    --
    David Hicks

  6. Thanks to dhicks from:

    Rick2134 (25th May 2010)

  7. #6

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2134 View Post
    When trying to create a new project the following error occurs "Read only or invalid path. Please correct it."
    It looks like a permissions error but the user is able to write to the home directory. Any ideas?
    you dont have any file type saving restrictions do you? or even quota's?

  8. #7

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,585
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    dvd flick any good ?

    DVD Flick

    That or dvd shrink

    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

    Also photo wise - googles picasa is good

  9. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

    timbo343 (26th May 2010)

  10. #8
    Rick2134's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    30
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    No quota's, only allows access in the root directory. Sony is giving me a refund!

  11. #9

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2134 View Post
    No quota's, only allows access in the root directory. Sony is giving me a refund!
    what is only allowed in root folder? saving video files?

    sorry if you are having that bad an experience with the software. I have never had a single problem with it! and infact if you are buying more then 50 copies of the software you can get a site lisence for around 25 quid! (which i only found out on monday )

  12. #10

    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,198
    Thank Post
    321
    Thanked 314 Times in 219 Posts
    Rep Power
    125
    I had just tried out DVD flick and it is a very useful program. Ideal for our media dept



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Edit Joomla Header to Make a Line Break
    By BKGarry in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st July 2009, 11:50 PM
  2. [CLOSED] Bug/Error: cannot edit posts
    By alonebfg in forum EduGeek.net Site Problems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th July 2008, 01:05 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th February 2008, 08:42 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •