+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Magic Net Pro ppt problems in Technical; Well we have found it is much easier to run Xibo. What we did is upgrade the FDM to a ...

Thank Post
    Well we have found it is much easier to run Xibo. What we did is upgrade the FDM to a 16GB so we had plenty of space. Then installed XP and Xibo server and client on the system. We can access the design tool thru the web at any workstation. We have also tested installing the client on other PC and works great. If we run out of space for our server, we plan to buy a external usb HD and use that as our library.

Nice thing about Xibo is that it is user friendly. It only took about 20min to instruct the non IT personnel how to create and update layouts. I had to help with the RSS feed and the .swf clock but the rest they can easily do.

Thank Post
    I presume you've installed MS PowerPoint Viewer on all your Samsungs? S'a prerequisite to PPT files working...

Thank Post
    From what I have read is that the full version off PowerPoint needs to be installed. This is off the Xibo site but think these fixes would work with Magic Pro also.

Install Guide NET Client - Xibo

Windows Modifications

Here are some suggested settings for Windows / Powerpoint for a Display Client:

* Turn off all screensavers
    * Turn off screen power saving
    * Load the "No Sounds" Sound Scheme (Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices Properties)
    * Set a plain wallpaper (Hopefully nobody will see it, but you might need to reboot a client, or restart Xibo and a sane wallpaper is a help
    * If the client is accessible from where you manage your displays from, you might want to install UltraVNC server so you can connect in and check on the client from time to time. Use the "View only" option in the VNC client to avoid disturbing the display.
    * Set Windows to log on as your display client user automatically
    * Disable balloon tips in the notification area
    * Disable Windows Error Reporting. Occasionally Powerpoint seems to "crash" when Xibo closes it. Unfortunately this leaves an unsightly "Powerpoint has encountered a problem and needs to close" message on the display. Follow the steps here to disable Windows Error Reporting completely - including notifications.
    * Also disable Office Application Error reporting. Follow instructions at KB325075 or merge this registry patch.

If you're using Powerpoint, then there are a couple of extra steps:

* The first time you run Xibo with a Powerpoint, you might get a popup appear that asks what Xibo should do with the Powerpoint file. The popup actually originates from Internet Explorer. Choose to "Open" the file, and untick the box so you won't be prompted again.
    * In some circumstances, you may find that Powerpoint, the application, loads instead of the file opening within Xibo itself. If that happens, try merging this registry patch. (Taken from pptfaq.com). Users of Powerpoint 2007 should go to Microsoft KB927009 and run the FixIT application instead. Users of PowerPoint 2010 should go here instead KB982995
    * Note also that Powerpoint will put scroll bars up the side of your presentation, unless you do the following for each Powerpoint file BEFORE you upload it:

o Open your Powerpoint Document
    o Slide Show -> Setup Show
    o Under "Show Type", choose "Browsed by an individual (window)" and then untick "Show scrollbar"

Thank Post
    Nah, Samsung's MagicInfo definitely just needs the powerpoint viewer, NOT the full version... but yes, powerpoints should be setup to run in kiosk mode etc.

Thank Post
    What's the difference between MagicInfo Pro and MagicInfo-i ? Which is better? The Samsung documention is as clear as mud.

I'm just getting started with the 2 Samsung screens here. I bought them not knowing they came with software. I was planning to use either Showpoint or Xibo.

I can't find a way of stoppinng the MagicInfo setup program from running at startup. So I'm stuck with it until I uninstall it. I wanted to give it a chance before scrapping it. I'm not impressed with it so far.

Thank Post
    To get the MagicInfo to stop running at start up you will need to disable the EWF first then do your changes and the reenble the EWF if you wish.

C:\>ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable
    and then ewfmgr c: -enable. to turn it back on

Depending on what type of screen you have you may be able to just reinstall and OS over the current one. I also read if you run partition magic on the 4G you can reinstall regular XP.

We are using Xibo and like it alot it seems easier for the end users to modify the layouts. So I am not sure the difference between the I and Pro.

Our setup we ended up taking out the Flash Disk Module and adding a laptop hard drive. We had to buy a external power supply and an adapter for the pin change. Though now we have 80GB running XP Pro and the Xibo Client and Server running off that one screen. Any other screens will just run the Xibo client.

Hope that helps.

7. Thanks to pjstrns from:

OverWorked (7th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pjstrns View Post
    Hope that helps.
    It does. Thanks for that.
    I have two screens - it hadn't occurred to me to add a hdd then make one of them a server with XP. That sounds like a good idea.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Nah, Samsung's MagicInfo definitely just needs the powerpoint viewer, NOT the full version... but yes, powerpoints should be setup to run in kiosk mode etc.
    I had the same issue way back and installing the PPT viewer was all that it needed.

Thank Post

If you're tweaking your presentation...

Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    It's also worth ensuring your presentations are set up for the correct aspect ratios (16:9 or 16:10 normally). Nothing worse than seeing a great looking presentation that's been set up in 4:3 let down by two huge black bars either side of the screen.

Click Design on the Ribbon >> Page Setup >> "Slides sized for:" dropdown >> Take your pick

Thank Post

Upgrading to IE7 on the Samsung XP Embedded

Quote Originally Posted by pjstrns View Post
    The Xibo software looks good and easy from the server side of things. How did you guys get the Xibo client to install on a Samsung without IE7 being apart of the Embedded OS?
    Anyone have a response to this? Shorting of opening the display up and putting in a hard disk, is there any other option to just put IE7 on these machines to proceed with a Xibo client install?

Thank Post
    Hi,

MagicInfo I is now known as MagicInfo I Premium and is free to a point (basically the first 5 displays), also the interface is different to MagicInfo I - as a company we have been involved closely with Samsung when they first launched MagicInfo I on the quiet sometime ago and have deployed it on numerous educational and corporate sites.

MagicInfo I is no longer a supported product, nor available from Samsungs download site (I just checked), so it would need to be MagicInfo I Premium.

Thinking about your ppt issue, do you have ppt viewer installed in each screen? the screens from samsung are shipped 'dumb' so you need to install codecs depending on the content you are going to publish.

Another option, although a pay for option is signagelive (digital signage software | signagelive delivering media to your screens) which is 'cloud' based and which offers a couple of options depending on your content requirements. They also do an upgrade path for existing MagicInfo users and it works great with the Samsung displays.

If you need any extra info, just ask.

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12