+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Deploying Flipshare in Technical; Following on from my thread about buying some cameras, some nice new Flip Minos appeared on my desk today. They ...

Thank Post

Deploying Flipshare

Following on from my thread about buying some cameras, some nice new Flip Minos appeared on my desk today.

They seem to be good bits of kit and when I saw that there was an MSI file included I thought that the software deployment would be easy. Seems I was wrong. If you try to run/msiexec the msi file directly you get the error "To setup FlipShare, exit this dialog and click Finish, then run Setup_fileshare.exe".

The .exe installer works fine, but I don't want to spend hours running around dozens of machines!

Any ideas?

S

Thank Post
    I've obtained some of these. What software is it? I've not had chance to look at them yet.

Thank Post
    It's the software which comes on the camera - similar to those U3 memory sticks that have software loaded on them.
    When you plug the camera in, the windows "what would you like to do?" box pops up, and the top option is edit using the software provided on the device. If you view the camera in explorer, there's a flipshare.msi file there; however, if you use command prompt and do "msiexec -i flipshare.msi -quiet" it does nothing. Try double-clicking the msi and the error I mentioned above appears.

Irritating thing is that I don't actually need the software. I need the codec which it comes with - it's not free!

S

Thank Post
    I've found ours work with MoveiMaker but that could be because we have K-lite installed. Anyway, the kids are happy using MovieMaker.

Thank Post
    We started buying these a few months ago... I've got round this be installed MediaCodec and/or ffdshow codecs to play back the videos and insert them into MovieMaker. Also MediaCodec adds support to Smart Notebook so that you can insert any video file not just flash files which some of our staff love....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser_Scotland View Post
    We started buying these a few months ago... I've got round this be installed MediaCodec and/or ffdshow codecs to play back the videos and insert them into MovieMaker. Also MediaCodec adds support to Smart Notebook so that you can insert any video file not just flash files which some of our staff love....
    I am currently trying to find away to use these cameras without using the software, directly importing to Windows Moviemaker. From my research this doesn't seem to be possible but Cruiser_Scotland if you could explain how you have "insert them into MovieMaker" I would much appreciate it.

Regards,

Joe

Thank Post
    Hi Joe
    If you install ffdshow (freely downloadable) that will let you insert avi files from a Flip into Moviemaker in the normal way. If however your Flip camcorders output mp4 files as some do, you'll have to use an mp4 to avi converter first (we use a freeware one).
    This applies to the standard def Flips, I know the HD ones output in a different format, but thankfully we don't have any of those!).
    Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottStevinson View Post
    Following on from my thread about buying some cameras, some nice new Flip Minos appeared on my desk today.

They seem to be good bits of kit and when I saw that there was an MSI file included I thought that the software deployment would be easy. Seems I was wrong. If you try to run/msiexec the msi file directly you get the error "To setup FlipShare, exit this dialog and click Finish, then run Setup_fileshare.exe".

The .exe installer works fine, but I don't want to spend hours running around dozens of machines!

Any ideas?
    I'm in the exact same process, but we DO need the software not just the codec
    Anyone get any further with this?

Thanks guys.

Thank Post
    Ah! just found the thread entitled "FLIP Video: Deploying FlipShare" so I'll run through those instructions and give that a whirl.
    Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread