+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, TV v Projector - which would provide the best solution? in Technical; Our Pre-School need to replace the TV they use for playing DVDs and Videos as it's packed up. They came ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts

TV v Projector - which would provide the best solution?

Our Pre-School need to replace the TV they use for playing DVDs and Videos as it's packed up.

They came to me (progress here ) with a spec as long as your arm, but have now sat down and thought about what they actually want.

1. Wall mounted display
    2. option to watch Video/DVD or "display our pre-school photos on a screen at the beginning and end of the day, and also on open days that is large enough for viewing across the room"
    3. They do not want an interactive whiteboard.

As I see it, there are 2 ways of doing this,:
    1. A wall-mounted flat-screen TV (how big? how heavy?)
    2. A ceiling mounted projector and wall-mounted screen (or ordinary whiteboard or plain wall)
    either of which could be hooked up to a DVD/Video player.

They are talking bout burning a CD of photos to put on display at the end of the day to show what they have done, but I think they will find this tiresome.

I think it would be possible (with the right camera?) to hook a camera up and play a slide-show through a TV. Can some TVs do this from a USB/ camera card? is it just easier to hook up a laptop?

Sorry if my thoughts seem muddled. I'm on my 4th email about this today and trying to straighten my thoughts.

Whatever we do, we need to be mindful of costs!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Personally i would say by a large 50" ish tv for this something like Samsung LCD TV

Although you spend out more initially it will cost less in the long run as no projector bulbs etc.
    if it is going to be on show perm you could set up a pc (mounted behind/ in ceiling) and then just get them to save the files to a network location - i have seen a bit of software that will just display the contents of a folder as a presentation across the screen not entirely sure wat its called but ill dig it out.

I have a 5 large tv's around my school with an hp usff pc either mounted to the wall behind or above the ceiling tiles running xp then displaying xibo

Toby

3. Thanks to glennda from:

elsiegee40 (6th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I think it would be possible (with the right camera?) to hook a camera up and play a slide-show through a TV. Can some TVs do this from a USB/ camera card? is it just easier to hook up a laptop?
    Certainly some cameras have (at least) PAL outputs, otherwise there are quite a few simple media players on the market that take USB storage. I've had a bit of a play with the Western Digital ones (WD TV Overview) and been happy with the results. Pretty simple to use. Perhaps you could hook something like that up to your screen/projector for simple video/photo viewing?

5. Thanks to Chillibear from:

Thank Post
    Have you thought about the wall being strong enough to take the weight of a 50" screen?

I would go for an LCD option as it is a lot lighter and you don't have to worry about screen burn.

Are there high levels of ambient light in the area you may wish to use the projector in? This could also be a factor with the solution you decide on.

7. Thanks to Educare_AV from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Educare_AV View Post
    Have you thought about the wall being strong enough to take the weight of a 50" screen?

I would go for an LCD option as it is a lot lighter and you don't have to worry about screen burn.

Are there high levels of ambient light in the area you may wish to use the projector in? This could also be a factor with the solution you decide on.
    The weight is of considerable concern, which is why I'm thinking of a projector.

Thank Post
    U should be able to strengthen the wall with a timber pattress to help spread the weight and get a strong fixing.

What is the wall construction?

Thank Post
    U should be able to strengthen the wall with a timber pattress to help spread the weight and get a strong fixing.

Strengthening the wall will put this way out of budget!

As this was first sprung on me this morning, I'm going to have to find out about the construction on Monday. The building is about 10 years old, brick exterior, plaster-board inside... but not sure if there's concrete between the two!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts

we have the screens mounted onto a custom made backboard which is them bolted through the wall- apart from one which is on a large shelf

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    2. A ceiling mounted projector and wall-mounted screen (or ordinary whiteboard or plain wall)
    Don't use just any old whiteboard. You will find anything that is in the slightest bit shiny will be awful to view as you will see the reflection from the projector lens on the 'screen'; a 'hot' spot, if you like.

13. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

elsiegee40 (7th March 2010)

Thank Post
    There some DVD players out there that have USB sockets you can connect a memory stick to, you might even be able to connect a camera directly.

15. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would go with a Projector and have it all (the connectors) run down to a nice little box and maybe get a nice little cupboard for their vcr, dvd, other devices such as memory card to av box. Once you show them what it can used for, such as hooking up a computer they would probably use it more.

But defiantly get a pull down screen (even if a whiteboard is there), as a student that has to look at one almost daily I can tell you there is a big difference no matter what type of whiteboard you have (matt, shiny, frosted glass ect)

17. Thanks to p858snake from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread