+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Casio Bulbless Projector? in Technical; This laser based technology does look quite interesting but there are a few things to watch, I think. One big ...
    Thank Post
    This laser based technology does look quite interesting but there are a few things to watch, I think. One big advantage is that you don't have to wait for the "lamp" to warm up or cool down, so they will be nice and quick to set up and take down in a portable situation. One big cause of lamp failure is people moving a projector while the lamp is still hot. Also, power up/power down cycles shorten lamp life, so any projector which is constantly turned on and off should benefit.

Conversely, the output brightness is not that great yet, and sonofsanta, I'd be dubious about 3000ANSI in a hall. Also, as with any new technology, they'll get better as they develop, so I wouldn't organise any massive rollout just yet. Well worth getting one to try though, as I think they'll be fine in classrooms as well as for portability. The lamp issue is less of a problem in a classroom than in a hall. For fixed, always on situations, particularly where you need the brightness, like for signage, reception areas and so on, conventional lamps will be preferred for a while yet I think.

Nice to see something new though, isn't it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    This laser based technology does look quite interesting but there are a few things to watch, I think. One big advantage is that you don't have to wait for the "lamp" to warm up or cool down, so they will be nice and quick to set up and take down in a portable situation. One big cause of lamp failure is people moving a projector while the lamp is still hot. Also, power up/power down cycles shorten lamp life, so any projector which is constantly turned on and off should benefit.

Conversely, the output brightness is not that great yet, and sonofsanta, I'd be dubious about 3000ANSI in a hall. Also, as with any new technology, they'll get better as they develop, so I wouldn't organise any massive rollout just yet. Well worth getting one to try though, as I think they'll be fine in classrooms as well as for portability. The lamp issue is less of a problem in a classroom than in a hall. For fixed, always on situations, particularly where you need the brightness, like for signage, reception areas and so on, conventional lamps will be preferred for a while yet I think.

Nice to see something new though, isn't it?
    For fixed always on situations, why would you be using a projector at all? Why not a LCD/Plasma screen?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    For fixed always on situations, why would you be using a projector at all? Why not a LCD/Plasma screen?
    Depends on the situation. We get installations where people want large back projections, projections onto glass, projections onto the floor. The LCD thing is going to get really interesting in the next year or so. Anyone who saw the touch screens at BETT will realise that whiteboards will probably give way to these big LCDs as their size goes up and cost goes down.

Not that I'm a betting man

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Plasma always consider power consumption.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    Conversely, the output brightness is not that great yet
    Are you suggesting that a 2500 Lumens LED projector is less bright than a 2500 bulb-based projector?

Thank Post
    I know most of you guys have seen these up and running and know what you need to know about them, I am going to see one being demo'ed this afternoon, has any one got any questions they would like me to ask on thier behalf?? (when are they dur in being the highest on my list!!)

Thank Post
    @tcsltd - any chance you could get a power meter plugged in to one so we could see the wattage they pull? I find manufacturer stats oddly inaccurate on this point!

Thank Post
    The output on standby is 1 watt and in use 190w...must say I am quite impressed with it, a very neat piece of kit!!

The casio guys did say that they expect all back orders to be fulfilled by the end of March and to be looking at a free stick situation by the end of April.

I hope that helps

Thank Post
    Glad the Casio comes with a 5 year warranty; at least if the laser goes you get a new machine!

Thank Post
    These do sound good however one thing concerns me, is Casio sure their laser based technology is safe for eyes? Don't get me wrong, I don't subscribe to the scaremongering "Wi-FI and mobile phones fry kiddies brains etc" schools of thought, however most lasers are pretty bad for your eyes, and without it being ultra-short throw it's almost impossible not to look into the light at least some of the time, even for a second. I suppose you could argue this applies to any extra bright projector which is not short throw.

Also 20000hrs sounds great, but don't get caught out by the sales boasts. I doubt they actually know how long they will last as something like this would be very difficult to apply an accurate accelerated age test to. The brochures '15 years of regular use' is laughable, how much high tech kit is still in regular use after 15 years in a school environment? They are careful to say 'up to' everywhere they print 20000hrs. The five year edu warranty only has to cover 5700hrs of normal school days (6hrs x 190days x 5years), still not bad but similar to other manufacturers. eg. Hitachi Digital Media

The last think is I notice these 'lampless' projectors still have a 'lamp' LED just to confuse us!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    They are careful to say 'up to' everywhere they print 20000hrs. The five year edu warranty only has to cover 5700hrs of normal school days (6hrs x 190days x 5years), still not bad but similar to other manufacturers.
    Still much better than most other projectors which last around 2000 hours and have a 3 year warranty. No pleasing some people :-)

Thank Post
    Official Cssio line is that the first batch into the UK should land on the 10th, then straight through the supply network to fulfil existing orders. We should get our hands on about 10, but already booked for installs. Next batch around end of month if all goes well.

Casio haven't revealed the reason for the delay. Only a few samples been through so far.

Agree with NewOrder that we need to see how well they perform over the long term in terms of brightness, relaibility and TCO. Am not clear yet how much maintenance they will need in terms of regualr cleaning (air flow). It's a small thin chassis and we've installed similar styles into corporate environments without issue, but I'll be watching to see how they perform when sitting in a classroom with 35 kids shedding dust and general gunk.

One aspect no-one has mentioned is the amazing zoom range on these - which makes them ideal for fitting onto an existing pole if you're swapping out a dead projector.

As for power consumption, these are not totally green - 230W normal brightness and 190W ECO which is similar to a standard edu projector. The green aspect comes from them living a long time so they aren't going to landfill every 2 to 3 years.

If I was to predict the outcome of this new tech, I'd say that it will drive the other manufacturers to either boost their EDU warranties, or to quickly licence the lamp tech from Casio.

Any other questions on these, let em know. I'll update the forum once we've put a few into play in schools.

Greg

Thank Post
    The guys at Casio reckon that the brightness will will only reduce by around 5% over the 15 years (although we are not going to know for definate until they are in use!).

I have stood in front of one and looked into the laser to test this knowing that this would come up and the laser didn't burn my eyes out...although I don't need my glasses any more! In all seriousness it wasn't blinding..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcsltd View Post
    The guys at Casio reckon that the brightness will will only reduce by around 5% over the 15 years (although we are not going to know for definate until they are in use!).
    So they say, although typically LEDs fade more than that, if the switch on my desk is anything to go by. They will of course be much better LEDs on the projectors though...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AVShopper View Post
    Official Cssio line is that the first batch into the UK should land on the 10th, then straight through the supply network to fulfil existing orders. We should get our hands on about 10, but already booked for installs. Next batch around end of month if all goes well.

Casio haven't revealed the reason for the delay. Only a few samples been through so far.

Greg
    It looks like Casio's largest distributor Midwich have the whole of the first allocation, due in tomorrow/Monday. 100+units with more following the week after.

At last.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast