+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Thinking hats on please! New build. in Technical; @bossman - I think you're missing the point. @oops_my_bad - The money will be spent on equipment which will later ...
    Thank Post
    @bossman - I think you're missing the point.
    @oops_my_bad - The money will be spent on equipment which will later move to the new school.

I made a reference above to be working on something similar. I would assume the direction given to the OP is for similar reasons (apologies if I hijack and this is incorrect!)

The brief will quite likely be to build a "classroom of the future".
    A proof of concept perhaps, but also a balanced attempt at getting it right.
    My aim is to provide a flexible teaching enviroment ahead of our move to a new school. One filled with the same F&E, resources and technology that the new school would have so that teachers and learners can provide feedback, customise and confirm what works and what doesn't.

It makes much more sense to invest ahead of time, get feedback and develop changes than it does wait until a multi-million pound school to be built untested and lead to disappointment.

It will also make the transition to a new school easier if an element of training (technical and management) has been able to take place first.

2. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

Rick2134 (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS View Post
    There's plenty of LED lighting out there though either DMX controlled or cheap Maplin type stuff.
    Ah, DMX - I was thinking of a lighting system that dimmed when interactive displays were being used and brightened again after a period of inactivity, exactly like a screensaver does. I was thinking this would need a fancy control system, but you're right - DMX (as used in stage lighting) would work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    It's almost as sickening as giving money to the Taliban
    The equipment is moveable, it's just the installation and setup costs as extra costs - maybe a few thousand, which is fair enough as someone's got to actually figure out what to do hardware-wise in the future. That only really holds true if we get a report on the details of the system chosen and how well it works in practice, of course.

Donating time, equipment and resources to the LA isn't as bad as giving money to the Taliban - the Taliban is a ruthless organisation dedicated to controlling as many people's lives as possible, guided by a leadership with a delusional mindset. The average local authority IT department is... well... uh, er... okay, fair point.

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 28th January 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Rick2134:

I understand the concept but the time and the resources used to set it up in the first place will be a waste just so the headteacher and a few honoured guests can see what it will look like before they move into the new school.

Some schools would only dream of that kind of a budget!

Good for you to get a little insight though as to what you may have to support or will the new school be a managed service like everybody else's?
    Yea a RM managed service!

Thank Post
    I have already been involved in a number of projects which included concept rooms and one of the strongest benefits is that it gives the staff an oportunity to see and use equipment that may go into the new build before its built.

We did a concept room for a college which included an IWB all in one system, touch screen technology, visualiser, learner response systems, interactive panels etc... over a year ago.

The college then used the room as a teaching space and got the lecturers to fill out forms describing what equipment they used how they used it and what helped to improve learning the most. The college then used this information to specify the quipment they wanted in their new build.

On the touch screens, I ran a technology showcase event yesterday that had some touch screen LCD's there and we were using windows 7 with it. I have to say it was impresive as things like the ipod pinch to resize images on screen even now works in my documents folder. The most important thing to note with the touch screens is that it is very dependant on the software used, and the phrase 'there is an app that will do that' was bandied around a lot yesterday.

There are several manufacturers of touch screens now and they vary in spec, quality and price but all perform the same basic functionality.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    I agree - that is a sickening amount of money to be p*ssing up against a wall.
    have you been living under a rock since 1999 ?

Isn't that what this govt. has been doing for most of the decade. from where i'm standing, it's an affirmative.

7. Thanks to torledo from:

Rick2134 (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenC View Post
    The college then used the room as a teaching space and got the lecturers to fill out forms describing what equipment they used how they used it and what helped to improve learning the most. The college then used this information to specify the quipment they wanted in their new build.
    Sensible idea. I think for £100,000 I'd kit out three classrooms - one with half-a-dozen Smart tables, one with top-down projected interactive tables and one with all-round (floor-to-ceiling, if you like) projected screens, then you've got several things to compare.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Rick2134:

I was just reading an article in a brochure form a company called Roche who were advertising just what you are talking about, Multi touch screens etc etc but the only snag was they were askin £120,000 and this was just the basic mobile classroom.

I fear that for your money you will not get as much as you were hoping for. Everything has it's price and I would hazard a cost of minimum £250,000 for a fully integrated 360 mobile classroom which would give the end user a wow factor.

I too am amazed that you have been allocated £100k for something which will be used as a proof of concept and then got rid of when you move to the new school such a waste of valuable taxpayers money.
    Dont suppose you have a site address for this or contact?

Cheers, Rich

Thank Post
    Wow. 100k on one room. I am jealous.

More like 100k every 5 years for the whole school here!

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12