+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, HD-DV Camcorders in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

HD-DV Camcorders

Can anyone recommend me an affordable one? Has to take HD Dv tapes.
    Budget around £500-800. Is that even a realistic price??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laputa01 View Post
    Can anyone recommend me an affordable one? Has to take HD Dv tapes.
    Budget around £500-800. Is that even a realistic price??
    Does it have to take tapes?

You can get a Toshiba Camlio for about £100 and then fit it with 4GB SD card.
    Much faster to run data off to PC that way. and cheap enough to get several in for class work.

Thank Post
    I'd comment as above really. If your budget is that good then I'd scrub the idea of tapes and go for something like this sony hdd hd camcorder - Google Product Search

We have several here and they are perfect - high quality + drag and drop video files.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys,
    The only reason i also need the tape feature is because I need to upload videos for students. As the camera that the students is always booked out, it would be handy to use it as a player.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laputa01 View Post
    Thanks guys,
    The only reason i also need the tape feature is because I need to upload videos for students. As the camera that the students is always booked out, it would be handy to use it as a player.
    Sorry but I don't quite understand that. If the camera is always booked out, then how can you use it as a player? If you have a card based camera and have more than one card, you can keep the camera booked out all of the time providing you have a SDHC card reader.

Unless I'm mistaken, HDV tape is limited to 1440x1080, whereas you can got 1920x1080 with many card based cameras. I've just got a Canon HF S100 and the picture quality is stunning.

Thank Post
    I've been looking into new Camcorders for our Media Department and from what I understand HDV would be the best choice if you're going to be doing a lot of editing with the footage.

7. Thanks to Ashm from:

laputa01 (21st January 2010)

Thank Post
    Because HDV is tape based then you will need a tape player, usually the camera, to capture the video in real time. Tape based systems have a lot of moving parts, which makes them more susceptible to damage. AVCHD is the way to go IMHO.

9. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Sorry but I don't quite understand that. If the camera is always booked out, then how can you use it as a player? If you have a card based camera and have more than one card, you can keep the camera booked out all of the time providing you have a SDHC card reader.
    The way I read it, the students won't be using this particular camcorder, but the requirement for the new camcorder is to use the same tapes as the old one so that it can be used to transfer students' recordings while other students are out doing filming with the old one.

11. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

Thank Post
    Yes that's right Steve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    The way I read it, the students won't be using this particular camcorder, but the requirement for the new camcorder is to use the same tapes as the old one so that it can be used to transfer students' recordings while other students are out doing filming with the old one.
    Surely once they hit pc/mac you can lose the tapes to the bin?

If you hang on to compatibility for too long it'll stop you from moving forward.

I would say - get all the fotage onto pc/mac, lose the tapes and go for sd/hhd recording, personally i would go for sd, but in a school i dunno if thats such a good idea. I was recently at a pro video shoot for a band After The Ordeal (just been played on XFM rock show), and they were using 4GB compact flash drives, and swapping them every 4-8 mins as they got full. Was a panasonic camera.

Thank Post
    I'd agree with what you say, but it means buying two new camcorders and binning a perfectly serviceable one...

Thank Post
    I believe that both Canon and Panasonic are only releasing solid state cameras this year, no tape. That said, there should be some good deals on HDV models. Have a word with Creative Video > Trusted Professional & Broadcast Audio & Video Solutions > CVP.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    Surely once they hit pc/mac you can lose the tapes to the bin?

If you hang on to compatibility for too long it'll stop you from moving forward.
    FWIW, as a semi-professional wedding videographer myself, you'll find tapes are still widely used in the industry.

There won't be any 'compatibility' problems for quite a few years yet.

The ONLY reason non-tape cameras have seemingly become mainstream, is because of the consumer side of things. Yes, many professionals do use card based equipment, but there are still many who use tape.

Pound for pound, tape is also far cheaper to archive where archiving is required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    AVCHD is the way to go IMHO.
    I know this is changing the discussion slightly, but how do you handle /edit your AVCHD footage, laserblazer; what software do you use on what machine? Do you do any pre-processing in your workflow before you edit?

I have an AVCHD camera (an early Canon HDD model) and have found AVCHD to be much more of a pain to use than I originally thought it'd be - largely due to processing demands to play the stuff back!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    FWIW, as a semi-professional wedding videographer myself, you'll find tapes are still widely used in the industry.

There won't be any 'compatibility' problems for quite a few years yet.

The ONLY reason non-tape cameras have seemingly become mainstream, is because of the consumer side of things. Yes, many professionals do use card based equipment, but there are still many who use tape.

Pound for pound, tape is also far cheaper to archive where archiving is required.
    I think flash/hard drive is getting more common for news where the fast turnaround is a huge benefit. Also many new build media facilities are "tapeless" - I think BBC Scotland's new(ish) Pacific Quay in Glasgow is an example.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast