+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, HD-DV Camcorders in Technical; ...
  1. #1
    laputa01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    100
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    HD-DV Camcorders

    Can anyone recommend me an affordable one? Has to take HD Dv tapes.
    Budget around £500-800. Is that even a realistic price??

  2. #2
    Firefly_Transport's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere, over the rainbow
    Posts
    91
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by laputa01 View Post
    Can anyone recommend me an affordable one? Has to take HD Dv tapes.
    Budget around £500-800. Is that even a realistic price??
    Does it have to take tapes?

    You can get a Toshiba Camlio for about £100 and then fit it with 4GB SD card.
    Much faster to run data off to PC that way. and cheap enough to get several in for class work.

  3. #3
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,138
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 230 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    I'd comment as above really. If your budget is that good then I'd scrub the idea of tapes and go for something like this sony hdd hd camcorder - Google Product Search

    We have several here and they are perfect - high quality + drag and drop video files.

  4. #4
    laputa01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    100
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Thanks guys,
    The only reason i also need the tape feature is because I need to upload videos for students. As the camera that the students is always booked out, it would be handy to use it as a player.

  5. #5


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,450
    Thank Post
    1,449
    Thanked 890 Times in 571 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by laputa01 View Post
    Thanks guys,
    The only reason i also need the tape feature is because I need to upload videos for students. As the camera that the students is always booked out, it would be handy to use it as a player.
    Sorry but I don't quite understand that. If the camera is always booked out, then how can you use it as a player? If you have a card based camera and have more than one card, you can keep the camera booked out all of the time providing you have a SDHC card reader.

    Unless I'm mistaken, HDV tape is limited to 1440x1080, whereas you can got 1920x1080 with many card based cameras. I've just got a Canon HF S100 and the picture quality is stunning.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    311
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 82 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    I've been looking into new Camcorders for our Media Department and from what I understand HDV would be the best choice if you're going to be doing a lot of editing with the footage.

  7. Thanks to Ashm from:

    laputa01 (21st January 2010)

  8. #7


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,450
    Thank Post
    1,449
    Thanked 890 Times in 571 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    Because HDV is tape based then you will need a tape player, usually the camera, to capture the video in real time. Tape based systems have a lot of moving parts, which makes them more susceptible to damage. AVCHD is the way to go IMHO.

  9. Thanks to laserblazer from:

    laputa01 (21st January 2010)

  10. #8
    SteveBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,439
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 263 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Sorry but I don't quite understand that. If the camera is always booked out, then how can you use it as a player? If you have a card based camera and have more than one card, you can keep the camera booked out all of the time providing you have a SDHC card reader.
    The way I read it, the students won't be using this particular camcorder, but the requirement for the new camcorder is to use the same tapes as the old one so that it can be used to transfer students' recordings while other students are out doing filming with the old one.

  11. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

    laputa01 (21st January 2010)

  12. #9
    laputa01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    100
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Yes that's right Steve.

  13. #10
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,020
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    The way I read it, the students won't be using this particular camcorder, but the requirement for the new camcorder is to use the same tapes as the old one so that it can be used to transfer students' recordings while other students are out doing filming with the old one.
    Surely once they hit pc/mac you can lose the tapes to the bin?

    If you hang on to compatibility for too long it'll stop you from moving forward.

    I would say - get all the fotage onto pc/mac, lose the tapes and go for sd/hhd recording, personally i would go for sd, but in a school i dunno if thats such a good idea. I was recently at a pro video shoot for a band After The Ordeal (just been played on XFM rock show), and they were using 4GB compact flash drives, and swapping them every 4-8 mins as they got full. Was a panasonic camera.

  14. #11
    SteveBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,439
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 263 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    I'd agree with what you say, but it means buying two new camcorders and binning a perfectly serviceable one...

  15. #12


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,450
    Thank Post
    1,449
    Thanked 890 Times in 571 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    I believe that both Canon and Panasonic are only releasing solid state cameras this year, no tape. That said, there should be some good deals on HDV models. Have a word with Creative Video > Trusted Professional & Broadcast Audio & Video Solutions > CVP.

  16. #13
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    Surely once they hit pc/mac you can lose the tapes to the bin?

    If you hang on to compatibility for too long it'll stop you from moving forward.
    FWIW, as a semi-professional wedding videographer myself, you'll find tapes are still widely used in the industry.

    There won't be any 'compatibility' problems for quite a few years yet.

    The ONLY reason non-tape cameras have seemingly become mainstream, is because of the consumer side of things. Yes, many professionals do use card based equipment, but there are still many who use tape.

    Pound for pound, tape is also far cheaper to archive where archiving is required.

  17. #14
    dayzd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In front of computer
    Posts
    406
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    AVCHD is the way to go IMHO.
    I know this is changing the discussion slightly, but how do you handle /edit your AVCHD footage, laserblazer; what software do you use on what machine? Do you do any pre-processing in your workflow before you edit?

    I have an AVCHD camera (an early Canon HDD model) and have found AVCHD to be much more of a pain to use than I originally thought it'd be - largely due to processing demands to play the stuff back!

  18. #15
    SteveBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,439
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 263 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    FWIW, as a semi-professional wedding videographer myself, you'll find tapes are still widely used in the industry.

    There won't be any 'compatibility' problems for quite a few years yet.

    The ONLY reason non-tape cameras have seemingly become mainstream, is because of the consumer side of things. Yes, many professionals do use card based equipment, but there are still many who use tape.

    Pound for pound, tape is also far cheaper to archive where archiving is required.
    I think flash/hard drive is getting more common for news where the fast turnaround is a huge benefit. Also many new build media facilities are "tapeless" - I think BBC Scotland's new(ish) Pacific Quay in Glasgow is an example.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Camcorders again..
    By cheredenine in forum Hardware
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20th March 2009, 08:45 AM
  2. Camcorders
    By Bobo in forum Hardware
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17th November 2008, 10:54 PM
  3. Camcorders (Possibly HD)
    By TechMonkey in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd September 2008, 07:04 PM
  4. HiDef Camcorders
    By Busybub in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th May 2008, 02:54 PM
  5. DVD Camcorders
    By david12345 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th August 2007, 12:10 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •