+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, looking for a slr camera £250 - £400 pounds suggestions? in Technical; The optics and sensor of an entry level DSLR will generally out-perform those of any compact camera, unless you are ...

Thank Post
    The optics and sensor of an entry level DSLR will generally out-perform those of any compact camera, unless you are talking about high-end stuff like Canon G11, which is as expensive as a DSLR....

As I said earlier, if it's a one off purchase & not intended as part of a system, any brand would be worth considering....

Physical size, weight & handling would be a consideration especially if it was to be used by students. There would be no point in buying a Nikon D3S with F2.8 70-200 zoom as the kids wouldn't be able to lift it

Thank Post
    All comes down to who's using it. If students - I'd suggest a 'fake' slr - along the lines of the Fuji Series. If you can trust the students, or it's for PR and teacher use then I'd go for an SLR. As everyone has said - it's the lens that matters, but for your budget you're probably going to end up with the stock one on whatever you buy, though most are pretty good. Pixel wise, I'd ignore the figure unless you're looking to do absolutely huge prints.

There's little difference between Canon and Nikon aside from personal preference, Have a hunt round and see what you can find the best offer on and go with that, unless you personally will be using it a lot, then go and grab one of each and have a play with them in a store, they feel very different - for me the lower end Nikons feel hugely un-natural to hold, for one of my friends, my Canon feels far too small.... all personal preference.

RwD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RinSewand View Post
    There's little difference between Canon and Nikon aside from personal preference, Have a hunt round and see what you can find the best offer on and go with that, unless you personally will be using it a lot, then go and grab one of each and have a play with them in a store, they feel very different - for me the lower end Nikons feel hugely un-natural to hold, for one of my friends, my Canon feels far too small.... all personal preference.
    RwD
    Not forgetting Sony, Pentax, Olympus...

OK, I'll stop now

Thank Post
    I recommend Nikon, they have the best lenses and have a great pedigree. I use a D40 and find it suitable for a variety of different types of photography - anything from low light level to sports photography. If you want to be creative or experiment with different types of photography make sure you have manual overide for the exposure AND focus as there are sometimes situations where the camera will struggle to get a decent exposure or proper focus.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by westleya View Post
    Not forgetting Sony, Pentax, Olympus...

OK, I'll stop now
    Heh sorry - that was mainly addressed at the Canikon arguements... But I agree - by the sounds of it, for what the OP wants, any budget SLR will do the job fine.

RwD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljonze View Post
    I recommend Nikon, they have the best lenses and have a great pedigree. I use a D40 and find it suitable for a variety of different types of photography - anything from low light level to sports photography. If you want to be creative or experiment with different types of photography make sure you have manual overide for the exposure AND focus as there are sometimes situations where the camera will struggle to get a decent exposure or proper focus.
    All SLR's will allow manual overide for everything.

Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax lenses are all very good. Kit lens on the Nikon's a bit plasticky, though.

Thank Post
    this is great im hearing a lot of fantastic things about the nikon d3000 im now thinking that may be my answer with a 18 - 55mm lense. Does any of you fantastic chaps have any good or bad things to say about that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsjay View Post
    this is great im hearing a lot of fantastic things about the nikon d3000 im now thinking that may be my answer with a 18 - 55mm lense. Does any of you fantastic chaps have any good or bad things to say about that.
    'Tis good stuff. Have read some nice reviews for this one.

Thank Post
    You can get an insight into many(mainly Canon & Nikon) DSLRs & lenses here...

KenRockwell.com

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Canon 1000D is another option, can be had for around the £350.00 mark with the 18-55 kit lens.

Thank Post
    It's worth remembering that if you go the Sony route (good budget SLRs) that Minolta lenses are also compatible. (Hope that hasn't already been covered)

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 20th January 2010 at 10:14 AM.

Thank Post
    soooo really for me it boils down to nikon d3000 or canon 1000d with an 18 - 55mm lense. So is anyone using these currently and wants to throw an opinion in

Thank Post
    soooo really for me it boils down to nikon d3000 or canon 1000d with an 18 - 55mm lense. So is anyone using these currently and wants to throw an opinion in
    How's this for an opinion:

Olympus EE-420 + 14-42MM LENS + 40-150MM LENS + BATTERY review cheap prices EE-420 + 14-42MM LENS + 40-150MM LENS + BATTERY Olympus best buy discount online uk shop

Thank Post
    The Sony DSLRs have cash back at the moment and PC pro rates them. My little d40 can take some pretty good snaps but is no where near the quality of my 50D, then again my d50 set up cost 15 times as much.

Compacts don't even come close to a DSLR.

Thank Post
    I think they are very similar, my opinion is see which handles best for you......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast