+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, VHS to DVD converter in Technical; I was looking at buying a new capture card for my PC so that I can capture old VHS tapes ...
    ron

Thank Post

VHS to DVD converter

I was looking at buying a new capture card for my PC so that I can capture old VHS tapes and edit to DVD and I came across the following product: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Maker-easy-convert-software-Supports/dp/B002Y4RA12/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#moreAboutThisProduct]USB 2.0 VHS to DVD Converter/DVD Maker-easy way to: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

There's only one review so far on amazon for this, for 20 it seems like a bargain!!

It even has it's own software, I don't know what the software is like or what the limits are, I used movie maker then DVD maker to add my footage to DVD at present.

However I wanted to more feedback before I bought it, has anyone got one of these or know what they are like.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    I use a Dazzle Platinum and I have never had a spot of bother with it. I can't help with your product but thought I would offer up what I use

Thank Post
    I know this is more expensive, but I know a couple of people who bought one and quite liked the results ..

Browse for Products | CPC

Dunno about the particular product you're looking to buy though. My only thing would be that my wife's son bought something similar, and couldn't get it to work with his laptop .. it wasn't the same product, but just thought I'd say ..

Thank Post
    I've not used one of that particular type, but the similar items I have used have been "OK" and the quality will be dependent on your PC's specs as well.

I've always had best results by plugging a VCR into a DVD Recorder. If you want to edit, then stick the DVD in your PC and use whatever you normally use to rip/edit DVDs. There's plenty of free software out there that should do the trick, but I quite like Videoredo TV Suite because you can work on the VOBs directly and it's very easy to use. It's only drawback (IMHO - apart from being a bit ugly) is that the DVD menus it creates are very basic. (Also great for transferring PVR-DVDR-Temp Disc until program commercially available and cutting out the ads while you're at it). Comes to more than the device you have listed, though!

Thank Post
    I had a teacher email me in a panic yesterday because she needed to show a dvd at a presentation this morning and it was on vhs. Chucked it into a vcr I have connected to a dvd recorder and in 30 minutes she had her 20 minute dvd. It was an internally produced dance video, so no copyright issues, which is not always the case when copying commercial tapes.

Thank Post
    i bought one of these

Easy CAP USB Record VCR VHS Video to PC AV S-video DVD on eBay (end time 04-Feb-10 05:43:13 GMT)

cheap, and does the job, whats 5 if it dont work? very similar to the one from amazon, mine came with ulead video editing software aswell.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by neon; 18th January 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I had a teacher email me in a panic yesterday because she needed to show a dvd at a presentation this morning and it was on vhs. Chucked it into a vcr I have connected to a dvd recorder and in 30 minutes she had her 20 minute dvd. It was an internally produced dance video, so no copyright issues, which is not always the case when copying commercial tapes.
    Re Copyright issues, my understanding is, so long as you keep the DVD with the original VHS (either in a sleeve stuck to the inside of the VHS box or to the back or it or something like that) then there aren't any issues as you have transferred it for a legitimate reason - I'm doing a bit of research into the best solution for moving over the numerous teaching resources as one of my schools from VHS to DVD given the VHS players are slowly dying and they all have a computer in their room!

Thank Post
    we have a LG VHS - dvd recorder combo which does the job nicely if the video neededs editing afterwards just rip to pc from dvd most cases not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Re Copyright issues, my understanding is, so long as you keep the DVD with the original VHS (either in a sleeve stuck to the inside of the VHS box or to the back or it or something like that) then there aren't any issues as you have transferred it for a legitimate reason - I'm doing a bit of research into the best solution for moving over the numerous teaching resources as one of my schools from VHS to DVD given the VHS players are slowly dying and they all have a computer in their room!
    Interesting point, do you want to kick off the test case? I've asked a number of companies that have supplied us with vhs programmes and they have all said that we must purchase the dvd. The vhs version clearly states no unauthorised copying.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 18th January 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I researched into this a while ago when I wasw looking into EULA's. The fact is it comes under "transfer of media" and is currently not permitted under copyright law. This is the same as transfering a Vinyl to Cassette Tape or CD to MP3. Apparantly copyright law is under review due to the popularity of MP3 but the last article I found on the subject was a BBC news story from early 2008.

Thank Post
    We use the Hauppauge capture card to get VHS onto a PC via WinTV. This allows you to edit and export again or burn to DVD i.e. using Adobe Premiere Pro.

It gives quite a bit of flexibility for what we are doing with it. School productions etc can have titles added, we can make semi professional looking DVD menu's etc etc.

Maybe an option depending what your wanting to do

ron

Thank Post
    Thanks for all of your replies so far, I have also seen this one, which someone mentioned in this thread: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyCap-Video-Capture-Device-Adapter/dp/B0011N9QNC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263830734&sr =8-6]EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Capture Device DVR Card Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

I bought a capture card about 6 years ago but it won't work with my new PC (running Vista!) so it's currently in an older PC and then I have connected up a VCR, you can't capture into movie maker so I use the software that can with the capture card, can't think of it's name off the top of my head but I think i'd prefer the usb cable with the composite and phono's attached rather than use a VHS to DVD recorder.

It's looking at around 5 to 30 to get one of these USB devices which isn't bad, it's compatiable with vista so this way I could use it on my new PC.

Thank Post
    If you can find a digital camcorder with AVin and you have a computer with a firwire port, then that will do it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies so far, I have also seen this one, which someone mentioned in this thread: EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Capture Device DVR Card Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I bought a capture card about 6 years ago but it won't work with my new PC (running Vista!) so it's currently in an older PC and then I have connected up a VCR, you can't capture into movie maker so I use the software that can with the capture card, can't think of it's name off the top of my head but I think i'd prefer the usb cable with the composite and phono's attached rather than use a VHS to DVD recorder.

It's looking at around 5 to 30 to get one of these USB devices which isn't bad, it's compatiable with vista so this way I could use it on my new PC.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimaxDigital-EZCAP-SNAPSHOT-capture-source/dp/B001MH7J7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263891327&sr =8-2]ClimaxDigital EZCAP SNAPSHOT USB 2.0 Video capture with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

You might want to read the blurb under the Technical Details section that accompanies the above product. It looks like they're implying that easycap is a cheaper version of ezcap.

Thank Post
    With a lot of these capture devices it's often crap software that lets them down rather than the hardware. My (admittedly out of date) experience is that you'll never fully uninstall Hauppauge's software but it will keep a lock on the capture device so no other software can access it, and Pinnacle's isn't good at keeping audio and video in sync over longish recordings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast