+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, VHS to DVD converter in Technical; Originally Posted by laserblazer Interesting point, do you want to kick off the test case? I'm possibly not that confident ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Interesting point, do you want to kick off the test case?
    I'm possibly not that confident unless I had someone who wanted to back me .. lol ..

Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I've asked a number of companies that have supplied us with vhs programmes and they have all said that we must purchase the dvd. The vhs version clearly states no unauthorised copying.
    True, and in the cases where the DVD version is available I have told the school we're better buying it anyway as it's obviously still a thought of resource and one they may of put additional bits into. Because of the time it takes then we would opt for buying of a DVD version anyway (I know it I opened the flood gates then I'd never get anything else done).

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I researched into this a while ago when I wasw looking into EULA's. The fact is it comes under "transfer of media" and is currently not permitted under copyright law. This is the same as transfering a Vinyl to Cassette Tape or CD to MP3. Apparantly copyright law is under review due to the popularity of MP3 but the last article I found on the subject was a BBC news story from early 2008.
    I'm hoping that where the resource isn't available on DVD and VHS players dying a death they might be happy to overlook the transfer of media element with it being a school .. lol .. but you are right, it's never the copyright, but the transfer of media that is a sticking point ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Re Copyright issues, my understanding is, so long as you keep the DVD with the original VHS (either in a sleeve stuck to the inside of the VHS box or to the back or it or something like that) then there aren't any issues as you have transferred it for a legitimate reason - I'm doing a bit of research into the best solution for moving over the numerous teaching resources as one of my schools from VHS to DVD given the VHS players are slowly dying and they all have a computer in their room!
    ERA recordings can be transferred - so anything you or a teacher recorded off air for educational purposes can be transferred to DVD or internal server, as long as it's labelled with the date, channel and the ERA licence text. [Frequently Asked Questions]

Commercial recordings are a not covered by ERA tho.

3. Thanks to judyB from:

soveryapt (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    If you haven't a licence you always need to ask the copyright or licence holder for permission. I have found most to be very accomodating, but occasionally an extra charge is levied. It is not worth bypassing the law because you think it will be ok. It also depends if the system you are copying too allows multiple viewings at once. We have an ERA+ licence so we can enable staff and students to view at home via the VLE too.

But occasionally you have to keep watching the VHS if no such permission is forthcoming and the resource is unavailable on DVD or the curriculum are not willing to buy it again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I'm hoping that where the resource isn't available on DVD and VHS players dying a death they might be happy to overlook the transfer of media element with it being a school .. lol .. but you are right, it's never the copyright, but the transfer of media that is a sticking point ..
    There is the argument (and IANAL) that if it isn't available on DVD then no harm has come to the copyright holder. You haven't denied them a sale (because they weren't selling it), and so the damages would be precisely nil.

6. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

soveryapt (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    There is the argument (and IANAL) that if it isn't available on DVD then no harm has come to the copyright holder. You haven't denied them a sale (because they weren't selling it), and so the damages would be precisely nil.
    There is such an argument, although it is wrong (unfortunately). You're right that you haven't cost them any money, but you have still broken to terms of the copyright agreement on the cassette. The fact that the resource exists only on VHS doesn't alter the terms of the copyright on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12