+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, BETT Casio Projector in Technical; Originally Posted by Stevenw These going to be worth the investment? or would be be better to get a good ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenw View Post
    These going to be worth the investment? or would be be better to get a good quality standard projector?
    On the surface, it looks as though these projectors will give you significant TCO savings in both cost and time:

• No replacement lamps
    • No image quality degradation over time
    • No time spent on cleaning filters
    • Auto power-off
    • Lower power consumption

If you're looking at getting a new projector now, I'd recommend a Casio so you can at least get one installed in your environment and see how well it performs.

2. 3 Thanks to webman:

bossman (18th January 2010), Stevenw (18th January 2010), Sylv3r (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Saw these at Bett, great information given to me by my supplier IDN, if you need more information contact me, or give Adam Cummins a call at IDN

4. Thanks to karldonteljames from:

Stevenw (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    For those that seen / read about the new Casio projector these are good bits of kit.

Does anybody know the UK resellers as I am a looking for one of these to test out in school.

Cheers
    IDNS were showing at BETT and they looked amazing..01204 363530

Thank Post
    I can supply quotes for this...PM me if you want one

7. Thanks to Tcsltd from:

Stevenw (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts
    @webman:

Also with that TCO comes the biggest statistic and that is the, forgive the pun, projected lifespan of 20,000 hours equivilent to approx 10 years of stress free life and guaranteed for 5 years.

Seems too good to be true, lets hope that the costs come down on them significantly over the next year which will allow most schools to swap out their existing projectors as they come to their end of life.

9. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Is there any news on an ultra short throw version coming out anytime soon? We've just started replacing all of our projectors with USF ones, and there is no way we would go back to a traditional type projector now, but a 20,000 hour bulb life would be great!

Steve

Thank Post
    In my opinion the cost isnt really an issue, based around the £850 mark, (£350 for average projector)
    thats a saving of just over £1000 per projector over an 18 year life span. (if anyone can see a problem with my calculations please let me know)

6 hours a day 5 days a week = 30 hours a week
    30 hours a week, 37 weeks of the year = 1110 hours a year

Based in that you should be able to get about 18 years use.

5 bulbs @ 150 per bulb = 750
    3 Projectors @ 375 each = 1125

Total cost of owner ship over a 15 year period bassed on 1 projector ever 5 years and a new bulb every two: £1875

Thats just the way i work it out, i will certainly be looking at replacing at least one this year, if not more, although the initial outlay is higher, the long term benfits far outweigh the cost, however you will need some forward thing financial people on your side, because until you've replaced all of them your going to have to continue to replace bulbs as they blow.

12. 2 Thanks to karldonteljames:

bossman (18th January 2010), Skinny (6th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karldonteljames View Post
    In my opinion the cost isnt really an issue, based around the £850 mark, (£350 for average projector)
    thats a saving of just over £1000 per projector over an 18 year life span. (if anyone can see a problem with my calculations please let me know)

6 hours a day 5 days a week = 30 hours a week
    30 hours a week, 37 weeks of the year = 1110 hours a year

Based in that you should be able to get about 18 years use.

5 bulbs @ 150 per bulb = 750
    3 Projectors @ 375 each = 1125

Total cost of owner ship over a 15 year period bassed on 1 projector ever 5 years and a new bulb every two: £1875

Thats just the way i work it out, i will certainly be looking at replacing at least one this year, if not more, although the initial outlay is higher, the long term benfits far outweigh the cost, however you will need some forward thing financial people on your side, because until you've replaced all of them your going to have to continue to replace bulbs as they blow.
    Wow, you have well behaved teachers if they're only using them for 6 hours a day. And cheap to run projectors. And cheap projectors.

Numbers for me would be

7 hours a day, 5 days a week = 37 hours (they don't turn them off when they aren't using them)
    37 x 38 weeks = 1406

About 14 years use.

With our bulb blowing average being about 2000 hours, you're looking at

10 bulbs @ 220 each = 2200
    3 projectors @ 440 each = 1320 (this is the cost we paid last time)
    3 remounts @ 200 each = 600 (getting matching throws etc... not as easy as it could be)

TCO over the same period is then £4120 compared with the £800 of the Casio.

So, with my horrible costs, it works out a lot better.

14. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

bossman (18th January 2010), Skinny (6th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Are they going to really last more than 10 years though? The bulbs may not go but I'm sure other stuff in them may. Also what sort of resolution will be standard for projectors in 10, 15 or 20 years time? I'm sure we'll have moved away from xga being the norm by then.

They look like they represent good value, especially when you factor in the time it takes to clean projectors or replace bulbs, but I think to expect anymore than 5 - 10 years from one is unrealistic.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Are they going to really last more than 10 years though? The bulbs may not go but I'm sure other stuff in them may. Also what sort of resolution will be standard for projectors in 10, 15 or 20 years time? I'm sure we'll have moved away from xga being the norm by then.

They look like they represent good value, especially when you factor in the time it takes to clean projectors or replace bulbs, but I think to expect anymore than 5 - 10 years from one is unrealistic.

Steve
    Our first installed projectors happened 7 years ago now - they displayed 1024x768 resolution images. The new ones being installed now are XGA 1280x1024. So, 7 years for a change like that to happen.

So, 10 years may not be the right number, but 7 fits well here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The last projector I bought was £294 (BenQ). We've been buying new projectors rather than replacement bulbs because I've only just found a compatible bulb supplier and until now the cost of a bulb vs cost of a new projector has always equaled a new projector.

£300 every 18months vs £700 every 7 years. I'm sure the Casio's works out the cheaper of the two options. I know the Casio may last longer than 7 years, my fag-paper maths says around 12 years, but the warrenties for 5 years and lets face 7 years out of a projector is bloody good going.

I'm gonna start buying the Casio's as soon as I can and plan for a 7 year replacement strategy. If BSF doesn't assimalate us and they last longer, well that just a bonus!

Thank Post
    There are a number of additional reasons why the Casio is worth the extra expense versus the buy and replace model.

There is no warm down time on this unit and as such you dont have to worry about teachers turning the unit off without letting it cool down and prematurely destroying projectors.

The life span that is stated is not comparable with lamp projectors due to the fact that there is NO DETERIORATION OF PICTURE QUALITY! With standard projectors the image quality falls during the lifetime of the machine so after 12 months you will not get the same quality as a new projector, the Casio model does not suffer from this at all so in theory the quality should be as good after 10 years as when forst used.

There is also the energy efficiency of the unit which when run in eco mode is around 130 watts which will produce a significant saving over the lifespan of the unit.

This is definitely a product that if the total cost of ownership is considered is a guaranteed money saver. The problem will occurr when budgets do not stretch to the purchase price (but I believe that is what leasing is for).

As for a short throw version; I have been aware of this projector for some time now but had to sign my life away before I was allowed to see it or be told about it. All I can say is that there is no reason Casio would not release a short throw version as the revolutionary technology is based around the light source not the lense etc...

Casio have predicted they will take a reasonable market share in the next 12 months and I have to say I agree. The biggest issue will be stock availability, with a very limited number being available for the first part of the year.

19. 3 Thanks to DarrenC:

enjay (20th January 2010), GrumbleDook (19th January 2010), john (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I had a nice chat with Insight today who are my main distributor about this new product, they have been manic with interest in them since BETT. I enquired about stock and pricing and they told me that any orders they get for the new Casio units by Thursday should be fulfilled very quickly, but Casio have told them after this batch of UK stock is gone there won't be anything really until March time, there may be the odd few, but no large volumes, so if you are interested then my advice is get the order in or you could be waiting till March for your new projector (and I can imagine what the teachers would think to that!!)

21. Thanks to john from:

Soulfish (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Just had a quote for the 2000 lumens model to replace a projector that's slowly dying. The price was pretty good I have to say - I'm very tempted to get one. Waiting on the 2500 lumens price to compare and then just need to figure out how to rejig the various connections.

Currently all of our installs have the video signal go from the PC -> Projector -> Monitor and then also using the separate component input for a secondary source. They also use the projector to handle both sets of audio with only one audio feed going back to the speakers from the projector. I don't believe the Casio has this many connectivity options (one small negative point perhaps) so just need to think of some alternatives. Then I can go ahead and order one and play with it for real

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I had a nice chat with Insight today who are my main distributor about this new product, they have been manic with interest in them since BETT. I enquired about stock and pricing and they told me that any orders they get for the new Casio units by Thursday should be fulfilled very quickly, but Casio have told them after this batch of UK stock is gone there won't be anything really until March time, there may be the odd few, but no large volumes, so if you are interested then my advice is get the order in or you could be waiting till March for your new projector (and I can imagine what the teachers would think to that!!)
    Looks like I'll be ordering ASAP then

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast