+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, XIBO Installation - Automatic Power Save Displays in Technical; Hi, We are currently looking into digital signage and I am intrigued by the XIBO app so we can try ...

Thank Post

XIBO Installation - Automatic Power Save Displays

Hi,

We are currently looking into digital signage and I am intrigued by the XIBO app so we can try and save a big heap of money.

My only problem with this is that other expensive signage solutions with built in software can have automatic power on/off scheduled quite easily, but because the xibo has nothing to do with the display itself this obviously can't be done.

Has anyone had any experience with displays which either have built in on/off timers? I have come across some, but they are limited in that after the automatic 'on' has happened, the display will automatically go to standby after 2 hours.

Another option is to have the client pc to be scheduled to hibernate. With a standard monitor this would result in a standby, but does anyone know of any televisions which have a similar function? I've seen some Sony models with PC Power management, which will put the screen on standby after the PC signal is lost, but when the pc wakes up, does the tv turn on again?!

This is obviously very specific and i'm hoping somebody has solved similar problems!

Thanks!

Thank Post
    How about a plug timer?

If you have a switch that has a off and on place, ie slide it to the left it is on and side it to the right it is off

If you have a switch like that on you tv, it should come back on stright away, when the timer goes onto the time

May do this at work, saves me turning them on and off everyday, one less job for me to do!

Thank Post
    This was actually suggested to me the other day by a colleague, and it's a very simple solution!

However, in my experience with tv's, when it's switched on it automatically goes to standby and a button has to be pressed on the remote for the tv to start up.

It might be a case of taking a look around a shop and asking the staff to go round taking the plugs out of the tvs and putting them back in. If I find one that starts up automatically then i'm in business!!

If not, then i'm still stuck!!

Thank Post
    I use Dell laptops as the clients, and schedule a shutdown at 7:00pm by simply adding the shutdown command as a scheduled task - "shutdown -F -S -T 0" and the BIOS has a feature that you can set it to auto power on on Mon-Fri only which is set to turn it on at 7:00am. The machine starts up and automatically runs the Xibo client.

The samsung screens we have automatically go into standby mode if they receive no signal for 10 mins however they do need to be turned on manually. Simple, we asked the receptionist to do it, it's her first job of the morning.

Works for us.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info about setting weekday power-ups in the BIOS. That will be very handy!

However, with the size of our site, getting somebody to go round turning on all the screens might be a problem. We will have 9 screens across 9 separate buildings. I know I wouldn't want to do it every day, it will end up being around a 20 minute job. Especially not nice in the rain.

If the process can be automated then I think it will be more successful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts
    The sony displays I have work off an internal timer setting for each day. They also have rs232 ports so I'm going to look into using the pc to turn them on and off by that.

Thank Post
    Thanks!

What model number is your Sony display?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    i just run a batch file at the 5:30 pm each day

shutdown -f -s -m \\xibocomputername

then in the morning at 7:30

MC-wol.exe macaddress and the machines wake up log themselves in and start running xibo all done from a server so is always on

Edit: we just use normal 42" samsung LCD tv's. you can use nething aslong as its got an RGB input. ours just go to sleep when no input is being coming through and then wake up again when they get signal
    Last edited by glennda; 17th January 2010 at 12:08 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread