+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Very cheap and expensive HDMI cables - what's the difference? in Technical; Originally Posted by jinnantonnix As for the gold plating, the idea behind this isn't to do with better signals, it's ...
  1. #16

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,052
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 391 Times in 299 Posts
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    As for the gold plating, the idea behind this isn't to do with better signals, it's to prevent tarnishing. I think the only practical real-world benefit is that it looks nice.
    I've put a sound system into the pool here. Gold plated connectors were essential. In normal circumstances, the look, and the price premium is the only advantage.

    When considering audio cables bear in mind that in a hifi set-up, the signals are at a nominal 1v, in a studio, the mic signals are at 1/5th that level. Then consider that studios and broadcasters all over the world use this stuff for mic cable, and it costs about 60p/m

  2. #17
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,484
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 502 Times in 442 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Clever use of gold plated connectors :P Plastic would have been just as effective though.

    QED Reference Optical

  3. #18

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,699
    Thank Post
    950
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Clever use of gold plated connectors :P Plastic would have been just as effective though.

    QED Reference Optical
    LOL I was about to say I saw a optical cable that was gold plated in dixons for £20, epic fail!

  4. #19
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,484
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 502 Times in 442 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    One EVEN better. I like my Denon amp but this is hilarious.

    Denon Akdl1, Hdmi Cables, Cables, Accessories

    Hmmm, digital and 1Gbps. Wait a minute! It's a 1.5m BLUE cat6 ethernet cable!

  5. #20

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,578
    Thank Post
    1,473
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    Rep Power
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    One EVEN better. I like my Denon amp but this is hilarious.

    Denon Akdl1, Hdmi Cables, Cables, Accessories

    Hmmm, digital and 1Gbps. Wait a minute! It's a 1.5m BLUE cat6 ethernet cable!
    I wonder if they've had anyone dumb enough to buy one?! Of course it must be an error (I hope!)

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    939
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 70 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    I bought a HDMI cable from Asda recently for £3.00, 1.5 metres I seem to remember and it works just fine between my laptop and TV.

  7. #22

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    Cable prices are ridiculous, particularly in places like Currys and PC World. Example: I needed a 5m Cat 5e cable but couldn't be bothered to trek across town to my usual supplier so went over to nearby Currys & PC Worl, both wanted £29.99 for a 5m cable! That exact same cable (I mean exact same cable, same make (Belkin) packaging and model number) cost me £7 in Comet, and all three of these shops were next to each other on an industrial estate near my home.

    As for the mythical gold plating, I guarantee the actual cable is the same inside all of them. Find me a lead with gold cabling and I might believe it makes a difference, but putting a golden archway over a motorway junction doesn't mean cars can go faster down it! (Please excuse the bad metaphor...)
    Just make your own......cheaper easier and quite fun.........lost count how many I have made over the years.......................

  8. #23


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    Find me a lead with gold cabling and I might believe it makes a difference, but putting a golden archway over a motorway junction doesn't mean cars can go faster down it! (Please excuse the bad metaphor...)
    Surely the gold plating is for connecting surfaces to make sure there is a good contact?

  9. #24

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,266
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    I don't believe there to be any difference in quality, however HDMI can be run upto 50m with an integrated booster (for obvious reasons). It's not just HDMI cables, but also satellite cables. You can buy them with copper or aluminium cores. The aluminium is considerably cheaper, yet I couldn't tell the difference at all.

    As with most cables good quality materials and no uncecessary kinks are essential for a crisp image.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Posts
    149
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    I wonder if they've had anyone dumb enough to buy one?! Of course it must be an error (I hope!)
    It's not an error - just read some of the reviews of it on Amazon... - The Reg had a good laugh when it was first released too!

    Stephen

  11. #26
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,021
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMC View Post
    It's not an error - just read some of the reviews of it on Amazon... - The Reg had a good laugh when it was first released too!

    Stephen
    isn't that an ethernet cable? why would u use that for audio?

  12. #27
    mpe
    mpe is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    1,170
    Thank Post
    121
    Thanked 70 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    As for the mythical gold plating, I guarantee the actual cable is the same inside all of them. Find me a lead with gold cabling and I might believe it makes a difference,
    It's only really likely to make much of a difference on a plug (or socket) which is very infrequently used. Probably only when kept in a hostile environment (near the sea, chemistry lab, etc) too. The only real point of the gold plating is that it is less reactive than other metals, so you won't get a non conductive tarnish/oxide forming.

  13. #28
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,021
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    It's only really likely to make much of a difference on a plug (or socket) which is very infrequently used. Probably only when kept in a hostile environment (near the sea, chemistry lab, etc) too. The only real point of the gold plating is that it is less reactive than other metals, so you won't get a non conductive tarnish/oxide forming.
    Isn't nickle just as good?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th March 2009, 09:42 PM
  2. Cheap Socet A board/cheap PC help..
    By Sirbendy in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th December 2008, 01:54 PM
  3. HDMI to DVI / converter question
    By mattx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12th August 2008, 08:59 PM
  4. Nvidia HDMI problem
    By Dos_Box in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd February 2008, 11:50 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •