+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Very cheap and expensive HDMI cables - what's the difference? in Technical; Originally Posted by jinnantonnix As for the gold plating, the idea behind this isn't to do with better signals, it's ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    As for the gold plating, the idea behind this isn't to do with better signals, it's to prevent tarnishing. I think the only practical real-world benefit is that it looks nice.
    I've put a sound system into the pool here. Gold plated connectors were essential. In normal circumstances, the look, and the price premium is the only advantage.

When considering audio cables bear in mind that in a hifi set-up, the signals are at a nominal 1v, in a studio, the mic signals are at 1/5th that level. Then consider that studios and broadcasters all over the world use this stuff for mic cable, and it costs about 60p/m

Thank Post
    Clever use of gold plated connectors :P Plastic would have been just as effective though.

QED Reference Optical

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Clever use of gold plated connectors :P Plastic would have been just as effective though.

QED Reference Optical
    LOL I was about to say I saw a optical cable that was gold plated in dixons for 20, epic fail!

Thank Post
    One EVEN better. I like my Denon amp but this is hilarious.

Denon Akdl1, Hdmi Cables, Cables, Accessories

Hmmm, digital and 1Gbps. Wait a minute! It's a 1.5m BLUE cat6 ethernet cable!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    One EVEN better. I like my Denon amp but this is hilarious.

Denon Akdl1, Hdmi Cables, Cables, Accessories

Hmmm, digital and 1Gbps. Wait a minute! It's a 1.5m BLUE cat6 ethernet cable!
    I wonder if they've had anyone dumb enough to buy one?! Of course it must be an error (I hope!)

Thank Post
    I bought a HDMI cable from Asda recently for 3.00, 1.5 metres I seem to remember and it works just fine between my laptop and TV.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    Cable prices are ridiculous, particularly in places like Currys and PC World. Example: I needed a 5m Cat 5e cable but couldn't be bothered to trek across town to my usual supplier so went over to nearby Currys & PC Worl, both wanted 29.99 for a 5m cable! That exact same cable (I mean exact same cable, same make (Belkin) packaging and model number) cost me 7 in Comet, and all three of these shops were next to each other on an industrial estate near my home.

As for the mythical gold plating, I guarantee the actual cable is the same inside all of them. Find me a lead with gold cabling and I might believe it makes a difference, but putting a golden archway over a motorway junction doesn't mean cars can go faster down it! (Please excuse the bad metaphor...)
    Just make your own......cheaper easier and quite fun.........lost count how many I have made over the years.......................

Thank Post
    Find me a lead with gold cabling and I might believe it makes a difference, but putting a golden archway over a motorway junction doesn't mean cars can go faster down it! (Please excuse the bad metaphor...)
    Surely the gold plating is for connecting surfaces to make sure there is a good contact?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I don't believe there to be any difference in quality, however HDMI can be run upto 50m with an integrated booster (for obvious reasons). It's not just HDMI cables, but also satellite cables. You can buy them with copper or aluminium cores. The aluminium is considerably cheaper, yet I couldn't tell the difference at all.

As with most cables good quality materials and no uncecessary kinks are essential for a crisp image.

Thank Post

Talking

I wonder if they've had anyone dumb enough to buy one?! Of course it must be an error (I hope!)
    It's not an error - just read some of the reviews of it on Amazon... - The Reg had a good laugh when it was first released too!

Stephen

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMC View Post
    It's not an error - just read some of the reviews of it on Amazon... - The Reg had a good laugh when it was first released too!

Stephen
    isn't that an ethernet cable? why would u use that for audio?

mpe

Thank Post
    As for the mythical gold plating, I guarantee the actual cable is the same inside all of them. Find me a lead with gold cabling and I might believe it makes a difference,
    It's only really likely to make much of a difference on a plug (or socket) which is very infrequently used. Probably only when kept in a hostile environment (near the sea, chemistry lab, etc) too. The only real point of the gold plating is that it is less reactive than other metals, so you won't get a non conductive tarnish/oxide forming.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    It's only really likely to make much of a difference on a plug (or socket) which is very infrequently used. Probably only when kept in a hostile environment (near the sea, chemistry lab, etc) too. The only real point of the gold plating is that it is less reactive than other metals, so you won't get a non conductive tarnish/oxide forming.
    Isn't nickle just as good?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12