+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Standalone Amplifiers for PC, Video, DVD in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael In my experience powered or active speakers are no where near as good as a dedicated ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In my experience powered or active speakers are no where near as good as a dedicated amplifier. They're cheaper for a reason
    they just seem to cause me many less problems and are loud enough for the job

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I know you're asking for an amp, but we've found these to be better and more reliable than cheap amps (even from brands like cambridge audio and pioneer)

Play.com (UK) : Labtec Pulse 485 / PC Multimedia Speaker System / 28 Watt : Computing - Free Delivery
    Thanks, those look like a nice solution for when I get around to replacing the current messiness.

--
    Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In my experience powered or active speakers are no where near as good as a dedicated amplifier. They're cheaper for a reason
    M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Monitors Hands On

M Studio AV40's - aprox £100 give or take a tenner depending on where you buy them from and I have a pair of these at home and they are pretty darned loud and crystal clear

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nty View Post
    The nice people from the cable testing company visited a couple of weeks ago, and failed all the amplifiers in one of our teaching blocks, eight classrooms in total. I can see why -- no earth on the cable, which runs into the case at 240V, and no external sheath on the wires. I was going to argue with them, but they have a point (despite these have passed in previous years ...)
    This sounds a bit strange to me. We've got quite a few amps similar to that around and NONE of them have an earth connection on the cable. In fact come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one of those types of amplifiers with an earth connection.

The reason? They're Class II double-insulated applicances and don't need an earth connection. Look out for the double-insulation symbol on the back of the unit (see [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes]Appliance classes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame])

If they've passed in previous years but not this time, assuming there's no damage to the cable or the connections, then I would ask the cable testing company exactly what they're doing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    This sounds a bit strange to me. We've got quite a few amps similar to that around and NONE of them have an earth connection on the cable. In fact come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one of those types of amplifiers with an earth connection.

The reason? They're Class II double-insulated applicances and don't need an earth connection. Look out for the double-insulation symbol on the back of the unit (see Appliance classes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

If they've passed in previous years but not this time, assuming there's no damage to the cable or the connections, then I would ask the cable testing company exactly what they're doing.
    I will look it up and see what I can find. I'd prefer not to have to go through all this hassle of replacement.

I think in previous years the testers weren't quite as thorough, and didn't unravel the rat's nest which is the AV cupboard in each room (in fact, it's a cubby-hole in the wall). These guys found out they could undo a panel at the back and get access to all the stuff and rejected these cheap amps they found. General feeling is our electricians should do this themselves rather than hire people at great expense so (if they did indeed get this wrong) I might be able to make some headway on that.

Thanks for the tip.

(Edit: Nope, it's not marked as Class II so no luck there )

--
    Simon
    Last edited by m0nty; 18th November 2009 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    cheap switchbox solves that problem
    True, but we are talking about teachers here. KISS! (Not that I'm suggesting the second S refers to you!)

Thank Post
    at my old work place we used Vision in wall Amplifier & Speaker Bundles.
    Great little things look very neat next to the IWBs.

8. Thanks to patty04 from:

m0nty (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    CPC have the Karaoke amps on offer at present £49.50.

--|103.100UK|AMPLIFIER, STEREO KARAOKE | CPC

We have a load of them and they are brilliant in classrooms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nty View Post
    I would like to move to a decent pair of speakers on teachers' desks, and abolish DVD players and VHS in favour of playing from the PC's DVD drive, or streaming over the network (although streaming is probably being too ambitious for my own good).
    Have a look at ClickView for streaming over the network. We have it and to be honest havent had an issue at all with multiple classrooms streaming the same video at the same time.

Slightly off the topic of your amps but I noticed this comment when reading the thread

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12