+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Friday 13th - End of the Projectors in Technical; I have just had 3 projectors wink out on me Which isn't particularly good as i have already used my ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Friday 13th - End of the Projectors

I have just had 3 projectors wink out on me
    Which isn't particularly good as i have already used my projector budget allocation !!!

So i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, so I'm now wondering what other people do regarding their projectors. We currently have or should i say had 38 and they only seem to last 3 years.

Can someone possibly advise me on a best direction to take as I don't particular want to spend around 38K over three years on projectors. The management is now leaning on me to provide a solution or a way forward by the close of play Monday

Any help greatly appreciated

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We replace all projectors here on a four-year cycle (if they can last that long). Just found out that Lazertech do cheap(!?!) compatible bulbs which should help out a bit.

Can't see much of an alternative myself other than putting chalk boards back in?

I've run out of toner budget this year and have started pulling money out of other budgets to make up the shortful - we need em after all.

I'm considering selling year 7's to the russian maffia...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @Geek_of_HeathMount:

You could get them deep cleaned by an AV company near you for roughly £90 per unit which would drastically reduce the cost to approx £3420 for 38 projectors. Or you could also look at changinging them in batches of 8 over a 5 year rolling process. All the ones which are the worst would be in the first batch and obviously the deep clean would cost less by 8 x £90 total cost would be approx = £5500 first year and then £2800 every year to replace given a new price of £350 per unit.

Thank Post
    A thought from outside the box: we've had some success with replacing projectors with 42"+ TVs - obviously depends on what the projector's used for and the teaching style of the teacher, but in certain circumstances they only cost a little more than a replacement lamp and are clearer and brighter than a projected image which makes up for the slightly smaller size. That and they should last longer.

obviously no use if there's an interactive whiteboard, or a teacher that regularly scrawls over a projected image on a normal board, but for smaller rooms whare the projector is used mainly for powerpoints and dvds, they're fine.

5. Thanks to BatchFile from:

tmcd35 (13th November 2009)

Thank Post
    I like the idea of selling the year 7's and i'll probably include the year 8's to as a buy one get one free offer!!!

That said I'm interested to know where you can get a unit for £350 as the cheapest projector we have ever had has been £800

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek_of_HeathMount View Post
    I like the idea of selling the year 7's and i'll probably include the year 8's to as a buy one get one free offer!!!

That said I'm interested to know where you can get a unit for £350 as the cheapest projector we have ever had has been £800
    I'm sure Simon from CpLtd will be along shortly
    but until he arrives, I just put one of these in a big, bright maths room and it's doing great http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/proj...oma_DS316.html
    Last edited by BatchFile; 13th November 2009 at 09:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    NEC projector are around £350 - £400 there are sub £300 projectors out there (DLP based) I think which can do the job however once the price goes down to that point you're looking at everytime a bulb goes just replace it with a projector with a 3 year lamp life

Wes

Thank Post
    That said I'm interested to know where you can get a unit for £350 as the cheapest projector we have ever had has been £800[/QUOTE]

The NEC NP110G Retails for around £260 ex vat... let me know if you want a quote

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek_of_HeathMount View Post

£800 for a projector? What're you buying? Gold plated ones?

Just order a replacement projector + mount + installation (so everything except the cable run) for ourselves and that came to £788. The projector itself comes in at about £425.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    NEC projector are around £350 - £400 there are sub £300 projectors out there (DLP based) I think which can do the job however once the price goes down to that point you're looking at everytime a bulb goes just replace it with a projector with a 3 year lamp life

Wes
    That's what I've been doing here. Replacing projectors when the bulb went. But as I say I've found out Lasertech do cheap replacements so I'll be giving them a try next time.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your comments, i think i have a way forward now.

Thank Post
    £800 for a projector!! Wow!

Just found the NEC NP110G for £250 ex VAT. NEC NP110G

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread