+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Promethean Drivers and Old Board in Technical; I've just sent out the latest Promethean drivers to every whiteboard machine in the school based on testing I have ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Promethean Drivers and Old Board

I've just sent out the latest Promethean drivers to every whiteboard machine in the school based on testing I have done with a USB board and with an old serial board. Everything seemed fine after a week of constant use on both boards.

In our Modern Language department their board, which is an old serial connection doesn't work. If I power cycle it then it works again until the next morning where it doesn't work.

It's as if the board turns itself off or goes into some sort of sleep. I didn't think they did this.

The drivers are the ones that came from ACTIVInspire.

The technician has told the Head of MFL that as it is an older board, it will not work with the new drivers. Now I think that's tosh - however I have not said that out loud and am quite willing to be corrected. However I spent ages going through the Promethean website looking for documentation on the drivers and any docs telling me the board was too old.

One would think that Promethean put backwards compatibility into their drivers.

If anyone knows different please speak up or if anyone can suggest a solution then please do so,

Cheers

Gareth

Thank Post
    Hi Gareth

Have you tried flashing the board to the latest firmware?

3. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

garethedmondson (21st October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Hi Gareth

Have you tried flashing the board to the latest firmware?
    Not sure if he has ever done that - would the latest firmware be available from the Promethean website or would I have to contact them?

Cheers

GJE

Thank Post
    Hi Gareth, it sounds like the serial part of the driver may be set to 'Manual' start.

Click on the Promethean icon in the system tray -> Control Panel -> Connections - in here you should see 'Startup' - click on the 'Automatic' radio button, click 'close', and reboot.

Does that make any difference?

6. Thanks to cmssbrie from:

garethedmondson (22nd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmssbrie View Post
    Hi Gareth, it sounds like the serial part of the driver may be set to 'Manual' start.

Click on the Promethean icon in the system tray -> Control Panel -> Connections - in here you should see 'Startup' - click on the 'Automatic' radio button, click 'close', and reboot.

Does that make any difference?
    I'll check - I'm sure it was on Automatic - but even if it was on Manual it shouldn't just stop working in the middle of the lesson.

For information the firmware is 2.34 Build 0 Serial.

Looking at my board - which is the same I have 2.65 Build 0 Serial

We are running Driver version 5.1.1.25 - extracted from the ActivInspire installation.

[Update: Okay it was set to Manual. So I've set it to Automatic. Odd that this machine should be different to all the others. I've also checked another serial board and this is running 3.49 Build 1 Serial - should all my serial boards be running this?]

Gareth
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 22nd October 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Ahhh, apologies, I thought you meant that it happened when they swicted the board n in the mornings - didn't realise it was happening half way through a lesson - my bad!

Anyway, you could try the newer version of the driver (5.1.2.7) which is availible from the support -> Software Updates section on www.prometheanplanet.com first before trying any firmware update.

The firmware is pretty old, and could probably do with an update (our Tech Support guys would be able to help with that), but the problem is that the boards will be out of warranty - so if you did a firmware update, and, for whatever reason it failed, the boards would be 'dead'.

I'd try the newer driver (there were some serial 'fixes' put into the new version - so that may fix the issue for you), and then if still doing the same, you might have to get into contact with Tech Support and get them to send you out a firmware CD.
    Last edited by cmssbrie; 22nd October 2009 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post

Okay it was set to Manual. So I've set it to Automatic. Odd that this machine should be different to all the others. I've also checked another serial board and this is running 3.49 Build 1 Serial - should all my serial boards be running this?]

Gareth
    Nope - these are two different models of board - the 2.xx firmware indicates a 60 or 75 board, where as the 3.xx firmware indicates a 64 or 78 board.

Both the firmwares you mention are not the latest, however, unless you are having problems, and all other avenues (driver / software / Windows updates) have been tried, only then should you really try the firmware update.

If you do need to update 1 board, again, don;t just update all the other ones because there is a 'newer' version - if they are working ok, then the firmware update will not make any difference, and, just say it fails halfway through, your boards will be goosed!

Thank Post
    I cured a similiar sort of problem by re installing serial port drivers from the motherboard manufactures. seemed to work better and no loss of whiteboard functionality.

Rick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmssbrie View Post
    Nope - these are two different models of board - the 2.xx firmware indicates a 60 or 75 board, where as the 3.xx firmware indicates a 64 or 78 board.

Both the firmwares you mention are not the latest, however, unless you are having problems, and all other avenues (driver / software / Windows updates) have been tried, only then should you really try the firmware update.

If you do need to update 1 board, again, don;t just update all the other ones because there is a 'newer' version - if they are working ok, then the firmware update will not make any difference, and, just say it fails halfway through, your boards will be goosed!
    I'm with you.

The only thing I have not done is update the driver to 5.1.2.7. Otherwise everything is up to date (except the firmware as you point out)

Every other 2.xx board in school works with the 5.1.1.25 drvers.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right here's a conumdrum - here on Edugeek I am told that the firware is old and not the latest. Yet my response from Promethean is that there is no firmware upgrade available for the board and that I have two options:

1. Purchase a new board
    2. A chargable repair

That's not the help I was looking for. The board works fine but looses connection. Maybe updating the firmware would be the option. Why can't I upgrade it to another version - or a newer version as mentioned by cmssbrie?

GJE

Thank Post
    Hi Gareth,

If you PM me your address, I'll ship a disk out to you.

The reason for this stance from support is two fold - 1) The board is out of warranty, and 2) In the past we have advised that by upgrading the firmware, you could actually lose all functionality of your board, and on the extremely rare occurance where this has happened, the customer has come back to us demanding we sort out the problem - even though we told them at the outset, that the firmware was done 'at your own risk'.

Apologies for any confusion we have caused with this, but as I mention above, if your prepared to give it a go, your welcome to try (the way I personally see it is that you have nothing to lose!) - but if it doesn't solve the issue, there isn't a great deal else we can do afterwards, other than advise you to either get a new board, or have an eningeer come out and change the electronics.

Apologies again for any confusion, but if you do want to give it a try, just PM me your address.

(BTW, if you did want to try it, you would have to put driver 4 back on the machine, as serial upgrades can not be done with driver 5 - but I'll upload that for you so you can get it)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread