+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, SMART Board isn't sure whether the eraser is in the tray or not! in Technical; Came across a curious problem with one of our SMART Boards today. Basically, the board has trouble telling whether the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

SMART Board isn't sure whether the eraser is in the tray or not!

Came across a curious problem with one of our SMART Boards today. Basically, the board has trouble telling whether the eraser is actually in the tray or not.

When you pick up the eraser, the board activates the eraser tool and goes into drawing mode as normal, but when it is replaced, the software will then 'flicker' between drawing mode and normal mode ('normal' being what you would expect when no pens or the eraser are active). It does this at a frequency of about 2 Hz. I quickly found that this appears to be a problem with the sensor in the tray. If I put my thumb over the sensor, or a piece of paper, or almost any object except the actual eraser, it can tell something is there and deactivates the eraser tool. Sometimes with careful positioning, the normal eraser will deactivate the drawing mode, but most of the time, it doesn't.

There seems to be nothing unusual/damaged about the eraser itself. It looks just like all the others. I haven't had a chance to swap it with another eraser yet (teachers tend to notice if you waltz in and steal their stuff), but has anyone seen this sort of thing before? I've tried giving the led and sensor in the tray a bit of a clean, and had a jolly good blast with an air compressor, so I don't think it's a dirt problem.

rad
    Thank Post
    If you put a pit of paper on the eraser, will that make the tray think the eraser is there, ie cut out a bit of paper the same size as the eraser and stick it on.

It is obviously and invisible eraser!

Thank Post
    does it do the same with another eraser? also try putting the eraser down on its side so that the felt area faces you and the top of the eraser faces the wall...see you you get on...

Thank Post
    I feel that this is a more deeply philosophical question than some of us suspect. It calls to mind Schrödinger's cat; is it dead, or is it still alive? I'm feeling in a particularly mean mood this morning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    If you put a pit of paper on the eraser, will that make the tray think the eraser is there, ie cut out a bit of paper the same size as the eraser and stick it on.
    A piece of paper just 3cm x 1cm is currently sitting in the bottom of the tray so the teacher can use his board. It hadn't occurred to me to stick it onto the eraser itself!

Will try and get another look at this today, but have been swamped this morning and am only just catching up. Thanks for all suggestions so far.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Came across a curious problem with one of our SMART Boards today. Basically, the board has trouble telling whether the eraser is actually in the tray or not.

When you pick up the eraser, the board activates the eraser tool and goes into drawing mode as normal, but when it is replaced, the software will then 'flicker' between drawing mode and normal mode ('normal' being what you would expect when no pens or the eraser are active). It does this at a frequency of about 2 Hz. I quickly found that this appears to be a problem with the sensor in the tray. If I put my thumb over the sensor, or a piece of paper, or almost any object except the actual eraser, it can tell something is there and deactivates the eraser tool. Sometimes with careful positioning, the normal eraser will deactivate the drawing mode, but most of the time, it doesn't.

There seems to be nothing unusual/damaged about the eraser itself. It looks just like all the others. I haven't had a chance to swap it with another eraser yet (teachers tend to notice if you waltz in and steal their stuff), but has anyone seen this sort of thing before? I've tried giving the led and sensor in the tray a bit of a clean, and had a jolly good blast with an air compressor, so I don't think it's a dirt problem.
    Get the tray part replaced, the sensor might've taken a knock or something. We've had this before, where we need THICKER things to obscure the pen tray sensors. Chances are the tray part of the board has become faulty or damaged.

Thank Post
    I've seen this problem on a board or two. For some strange reason, putting the eraser on it's side in the tray works...

8. Thanks to Gerry from:

AngryTechnician (15th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I've seen this problem on a board or two. For some strange reason, putting the eraser on it's side in the tray works...
    Just tried it, absolutely spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    Get the tray part replaced, the sensor might've taken a knock or something.
    Don't suppose you have a ballpark figure for how much replacements cost?

rad
    Thank Post
    You might be able to do this under warramty depending on how old it is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    You might be able to do this under warramty depending on how old it is.
    I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that. Almost nothing here is under warranty - the previous admin never bought anything other than 1 year warranty on computers and I doubt the whiteboards were ever registered. Will try my luck with SMART and see what happens!

EDIT: All but two of my SMART Boards went out of warranty last year, and this is one of the ones that is now out.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 15th October 2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Warranty update

Thank Post
    I've had this as well, just took the eraser felt out of the holder, turned it around so the packer is outside and the felt inside and hey presto it works and they can still use the rubber as it still slides on the board.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread