+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, VLC Problem in Technical; Ok, I have one brand new esprimo mobile teachers laptop.... and one brand new dvd... I have installed VLC player ...
    Thank Post

VLC Problem

Ok, I have one brand new esprimo mobile teachers laptop.... and one brand new dvd... I have installed VLC player and the dvd playback is terrible it is stuttering both audio and visual.... I have tried the dvd in other laptops with VLC and it works fine, i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling vlc and it doesnt work... i have tried this dvd with different software on the new laptop and it works fine so it must be a setting within vlc player... i can use the other software but it is really annoying me.

Please help

Thank you

Thank Post
    Ok I wouldn't of believed this until the other day but I couldn't play a file in VLC or Medial Player. I updated Media Player to the latest codec and suddenly VLC could play the file as well I think VLC must be able to use the codecs. You could try seeing if Media Player plays it properly.

Also are you installing the latest version of VLC?

Thank Post
    prolly side tracking some what but whenever i try and play dvds on snow leopard using vlc it just crashes vlc yet when I use dvd player it plays perfectly

Not sure what thats all about

Thank Post
    I've had two members of staff recently with problems playing DVDs in VLC, but media player worked fine for both of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    prolly side tracking some what but whenever i try and play dvds on snow leopard using vlc it just crashes vlc yet when I use dvd player it plays perfectly

Not sure what thats all about
    I've always found VLC to be a little flakey at DVD playback - even in Leopard. Snow Leopard has made it slightly worse, but I don't care, I just use DVD Player or even Front Row to play DVD's.

VLC will play everything else I throw at it anyway

To go back to the original question - VLC sometimes struggles with copy protected DVD's depending on the exact copy protection method that has been applied. Have you tried it with a different DVD?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Odd, I tend to use VLC because it's easier on the host system than any other media player I know of, and solved a lot of stuttering issues because of it.

However, if there's a bit of a half decent graphics card in the laptop, in the video output settings (in the full blown preferences menu) try shifting from DirectX to OpenGL output - can yield good results if you've the graphics card to help.

7. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

mac_shinobi (30th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Odd, I tend to use VLC because it's easier on the host system than any other media player I know of, and solved a lot of stuttering issues because of it.

However, if there's a bit of a half decent graphics card in the laptop, in the video output settings (in the full blown preferences menu) try shifting from DirectX to OpenGL output - can yield good results if you've the graphics card to help.
    under a different section on OS X but thanks for that tip - worked a charm + 1 rep from me

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent - forgot it'd work well on Macs - you don't have the pain of nvidia/ati PC bloatware with OpenGL

Thank Post
    We've had issues with DVD playback on the new version of VLC here too. Green blocky display. Audio has always been fine.

I manually installed the klite codec package on one machine and it now works fine - so its definitely a codec issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We've had issues with DVD playback on the new version of VLC here too. Green blocky display. Audio has always been fine.

I manually installed the klite codec package on one machine and it now works fine - so its definitely a codec issue.
    Funny enough, I upgraded one of our staff laptops to the latest K-Lite codec pack today, and the problems disappeared. We formerly had version 4.9 on them all, version 5.1 seemed to solve the problem. Now all I need is a way to automatically roll it out.

Mike.

Thank Post
    ive found vlc seems poor on dvd at the moment esp on vista have started using gomedia player instead

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Funny enough, I upgraded one of our staff laptops to the latest K-Lite codec pack today, and the problems disappeared. We formerly had version 4.9 on them all, version 5.1 seemed to solve the problem. Now all I need is a way to automatically roll it out.

Mike.
    Is there a way to automatically roll out the codecs, and if so, what do people suggest?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    According to a post I read on the VLC forums, v0.8.6.i is the version to use if you want trouble-free DVD playback.

Download Links
    Windows: http://download.videolan.org/pub/vid.../0.8.6i/win32/
    Mac: http://download.videolan.org/pub/vid...0.8.6i/macosx/

Thank Post
    Wow that's quite a few versions ago now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    I agree. There's a lot of nice new features in 0.9 and 1.0 it would be a shame to have to back to 0.8.6i. I have noticed VLCs DVD playback is worse on the Mac compared to Windows though. In my case, there are a lot of DVDs the teacher's use where the video is either scrambled with big blocks of green pixels everywhere or parts of the video is missing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast