+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Alternative to SMART Unifi55 Projector Solution in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Alternative to SMART Unifi55 Projector Solution

I was wondering if there is a alternative to the SMART Unifi 55 wall mount boom projector for a SB680? For example, a u.short throw projector with a wall mountable (sliding) bracket / pole perhaps?

I am researching if this would be a cheaper and / or solution than a Unifi 55 projector? and also be a solution for the SB560 boards we have as well?

The project is to replace quite a few Sanyo projectors that have now gone dull and / or suffering from red blotches etc, and its not cost effective to repair them. (The last repair to internally clean was ~£300!). Additionally we have 10+ existing SB680i with Unifi 55 projectors and are very pleased with them, hence why i am think of adding the Unifi 55 projector to existing SB680s etc.

The main issue is the high cost of the Unifi55 projector unit is comparison to standalone projectors, and advice on alternative models would be appreciated, as despite regular cleaning of our 50+ Sanyo projectors they seem all to suffer eventually from the same form of problem!

Thank Post
    We've got one of these, it's about a year old and hasn't given us any issues. I think they cost about a grand.

LCD Projectors : Education : ED-A100 : English : Hitachi Digital Media Group

Alternatively we had a lot of HP VP61xx and VP62xx (which are actualy rebadged Sanyos), we found the Tosh T95 had the same throw and fits the the same cradles. We've had a couple of premature bulb failures which were fixed under warranty. Apart from that they've been fine (we have about 15 of them).
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 29th September 2009 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    I second the Hitachi. We have now standardised on it. The only thing is if your walls aren't solid they shake a bit when the bell goes. But the screen shakes in sync.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies so far,

Are you attaching the projectors via ceiling or wall? and which brackets are you using?

Any recommended suppliers for the projector / brackets?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far,

Are you attaching the projectors via ceiling or wall? and which brackets are you using?

Any recommended suppliers for the projector / brackets?

Thanks.
    Our Hitachi is attached to a wall, it was supplied with bracket by Smarter Solutions. I don't know anyt details about the bracket (we had them fit it for us.)

Smarter Solutions Ltd

The Toshs are ceiling mounted, the reason I mentioned them is we've been about to use them as a straight swap for our HP/Sanyo projectors. Not as good as a short throw, but much cheaper and easier to fit.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 1st October 2009 at 08:44 AM.

Thank Post
    The Hitachi is becoming a mainstay replacement for many schools due to the minimal shadowing and high brightness. The current version is actually the EDA 101 which has replaced the EDA 100, its a very similar unit only it does not have a network port.

Be aware however that if you are mounting these projectors on an uneven wall the reduction in throw distance means that any imperfection is magnified. It is worth asking your av supplier to come and look at any rooms you are thinking of upgrading the projectors in.

DC

Thank Post
    I'll third (or forth!) the hitachi's
    We've standardised on them and their network connectors. With the 101's not having the RJ45 port it was a bit of a problem this summer so we had to get some CP-A100's (corporate version) slightly more expensive.

Apparently hitachi have realised their error and are/were ramping production of the 100's back up again but there was a 4 month lead time (back in August).

Thank Post
    Yes the Hitachi is a good unit the board will use either promethian or Smart software and their Ultra close focus projector is very good to, what you wont get of course is the inbuilt software that is in the Unifi range.

Also the Sanyo projectors you have i would be pleased to know who charged you £300 for a service/repair on these as a normal price would be normally £70, and that will restore most to near original condition.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Hitachi also now have semi short throw. More models including ultra short widescreen are expected to appear in the next few months.
    Probably best to get your supplier to show you the projector

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread