+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, HD Question in Technical; Hi, I have a 40" HDTV at home. Connected to that i have a computer i use to play films ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries

HD Question

Hi,

I have a 40" HDTV at home. Connected to that i have a computer i use to play films stored on a computer upstairs with 4TB of storage. My collection is seeing more and more HD format films and TV programs.

My Questions are relating to the connection form the computer to the screen.

1. Is a DVI Connection HD?
    2. Is a VGA Connection HD?
    3. If you use a DVI to HDMI adapter would this be HD?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I think I'm right but if somebody could confirm that would be brilliant.

VGA is not ideal for HD

HDMI and DVI are actually the same thing, just with a different shape connector (and HDMI can transmit sound).

You're much better of using a DVI or HDMI cable.

As I say, I might be wrong though, but this is how I had it explained to me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks.

Currently the machine has a DVI output, i use an adapter to convert that to VGA and that goes into the TV. The TV had DMI ports.

Is this cable any good? - 5 Meter HDMI Male to DVI-D 25 Pin Dual Gold link Cable on eBay (end time 25-Oct-09 22:46:08 GMT)

Thanks

Zak

Thank Post
    I use exactly the same cable to connect my MacBook pro to my LCD HD TV. Works like a charm.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If i use the HDMI what would happen with the sound. Currently i use a 3.5mm Jack like this - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/images/ite...-jack-1.5m.jpg

This goes into a port labeled PC Input next to the VGA port. What would i do regarding sound if i move to HDMI?

The computer connected to the TV is a MacMini

Thanks

Thank Post
    Ah, good point, I didn't think of that.

I use the same sort of audio lead as that but it goes into my external amp.

SOME televisions will play sound from PC in when using HDMI rather than VGA, but most don't. My Samsung 40" HD LCD doesn't - I wouldn't know about yours.

If yours wont then I'm not sure what you can do other than continue to use your VGA method.

I have an Apple TV with an optical out. I can use this at the same time as HDMI for picture to television and sound to amp. Does the Mac Mini have an optical out? This may be an option.

Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My screen is samsung. I dont think the MacMini has optical out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right. If you have Visat horrible things will happen unless you use a HDCP compatible grahipcs card, and if you try and go via an AV amp forget it! Vista will cripple your resolution and not play sound unless your grahics card is HDCP certified. ATI HD series cards are all HDCP and allow you to send sound over their HDMI\DVI interface, but please be aware that this is because they have remapped some of the DVI pins to allow sound and unless the card has a built in HDMI interface you will need an ATI DVI\HDMI adaptor, not one from a third party as they will not transmit sound. Also try thsi program to make any Vista woes go away!

SlySoft AnyDVD | any dvd, region free, dvd copy, copy dvd movies, dvd decoder, dvd ripper, macrovision, dvd copying software

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Right. If you have Visat horrible things will happen unless you use a HDCP compatible grahipcs card, and if you try and go via an AV amp forget it![/url]
    In this instance the issue is more to do with the amp. HD capable amps really are quite strict with HDCP when using HDMI (they have to be).

The Vista issue that people complain about is more to do with playing HD on a locally connected screen which doesn't support HDCP, as lots of monitors are high definition but not hdcp (like the one I'm using). Only affects HDCP compatible source material iirc.

When using an HDCP source the entire path must support and negotiate hdcp before it works (which is why it takes so damn long to get a picture on hdmi). Player --> AMP --> TV.

Afaik you don't need HDCP for High Def, but you do need HDCP for HDMI. I have a vga -> HDMI convertor for my Dreamcast that also adds HDCP so that it will work correctly though my amp, despite not acutally being a high def source (640x480).

FN-GM:

You can use DVI to HDMI convertor as long as the graphics card supports HDCP over DVI. I don't see there being any issues with just a vga signal but you may find that the TV will only allow limited (4:3) resolutions if it does have a VGA input. DVI itself is quite capable of carrying a HD resolution.

You may have to use analog for the sound, but you would need to see what input options are available on the TV. Some graphics cards that have HDMI connectors have additional drivers/connectors for sound over hdmi. Some DVI cards may also have special adaptors for sound, I think some ATI cards have an audio processor on them for this.

You would need to look at all the input/outputs for the graphics card and TV and what options they have for audio.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    1. Is a DVI Connection HD?
    2. Is a VGA Connection HD?
    3. If you use a DVI to HDMI adapter would this be HD?
    1. Yes video, but no sound. 2. No, VGA is VGA but it can display a 1360 x 768 resolution. 3. Yes, but video only no sound.

Seeing as you're into films adding an amplifier to the mix is definitely recommended. I have HDMI compatible Sony amplifier wired as follows:

Samsung LCD-TV wired into amplifier via HDMI cable (mute or turn down sound to zero on the LCD-TV itself)
    Computer wired with VGA directly into screen (displays full HD 1360 x 768 resolution)
    Sound wired with 3.5 jack to phono (left and right)
    Sony PS3 wired with HDMI (for video) and optical (for sound) into amplifier

This setup is a few years old now and works great. If I were to do things differently now, I would buy a graphics card with HDMI out (which would plug into the amplifier) and an optical compatible sound card, again plugged into the amplifier. This is the best possible quality you can expect, providing the amplifier is 5.1 or better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    My screen is samsung. I dont think the MacMini has optical out.
    The Mac Mini definately has optical out. Use a 3.5mm to TOSLink adapter and run an optical cable from the headphone socket to your TV or amp. Thst's what I have done in the past and it works fine. I actually sent audio digitally to a DAC, as opposed to the Onkyo amp I use, as the PC output is used mainly for music and I preferred the sound.

For video duties, a DVI to HDMI cable will do the job perfectly - again I've done this in the past to an Onkyo AV receiver which is connected to my TV (which only has DVI) and this has worked without a problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    On my 2008 Mac Pro, Ive got it connected to a 40 inch samsung hd tv via a DVI-D to a HDMI Cable and audio I have a 3.5mm audio headphone type jack to a red and white RCA that goes into my stereo M Audio speakers.

All my audio goes through the stereo m audio speakers from tv, computer, games consoles etc

Haven't got a surround sound amp to put it through but I do have a optical cable to go from my audio out on my mac pro so have got it ready should the time come that I can afford one

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Samsung LCD
    You got a Samsung LCD to work with a HDMI signal ? Lordy !! I have an old 'HD Ready' samsung TV with a DVI input on the back - can I get a HD picture on it ? Never [ well I say never - I once got a picture for about 5 seconds then it went blank ] - I have tried countless DVI to HDMI leads, DVI to DVI leads, DVI to VGA converters etc etc - you name it, I have tried it. I checked the specs of the devices for HDCP and both are fine - I tried to contact Samsung directly but they didn't want to know so in the end I ended up getting myself a Sony Bravia 32 and it works fine. The Samsung is now in my bedroom using just the VGA input.
    Will never be buying Sumsung again - [ the picture quality was bleeding terrible anyhoo ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im kinda getting lost with this. I dont want to use any other speakers or any other kit such as an amp. I would like to use the sound in my TV. Is this possible?

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast