+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Laptop and Projector in Technical; Hi, Ive seen this problem before but can't for the life of me remember how to fix it. Playing a ...
    Thank Post

Laptop and Projector

Hi, Ive seen this problem before but can't for the life of me remember how to fix it. Playing a DVD through a laptop onto a projector (exact same image on laptop and projector), the DVD appears on the Laptop but all i get on the whiteboard is a black empty space, i can see it playing on the laptop perfectly, what do I need to do to get it to work on both?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have seen this before, not sure what it was as i didnt fix it.

I would try updating Video drivers

Thank Post
    What are you using to play the DVD? You could try VLC media player

Thank Post
    Isn't it to do with the laptop and projector having different screen resolutions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Fn and F5 (or whatever key on the laptop) to get it onto just the projector?
    Still didnt work.

Maybe it is the resolution ill try that one

Thank Post
    I can't remember what we did last time I saw this (I think we got it working, though quite some time ago, I can't remember(!)). I recently installed a video card (pci-e) into a desktop computer to allow it to output onto 2 displays (didn't want a splitter - too many wires), and we have come across this same problem in this scenerio too (the video from PowerDVD only wants to output via the 1 vga port, and black space on the screen connected to the other); exactly the same as the laptop screen/projector situation.

Resolutions the same, drivers latest from internet and everything else ok. Haven't tried VLC media player though - may be worth seeing if it is a specific problem to powerdvd.

Thank Post
    Does it have a rubbish graphics card? I've had the same issue on older laptops where it will only play on one screen.

I've tried everything I can think of before, but it seems to be certain laptop/projector combinations too, as the supply teacher assured me it ALWAYS works. (In fact, she went ape sh!t in front of the class, then followed me up to the office and went ape sh!t to my boss!)

Thank Post
    Again, I've seen this on many laptops, Its when the graphics card isn't powerfull enough to display video to both the laptop and external display. If fn + f5/f7 or what ever the key for that laptop is doesn't work, could you possibly change which is the main screen? Is that even possible?

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    It's something to do with the (poor) capabilities of the graphics card/chip. Easiest fix is to use Gibbo's suggestion, but I have seen talk round these parts of altering the overlay settings. Also seen a suggestion that it's a copy protection thing, but I'm not convinced.

I've seen it happen with different players: VLC, WMP, PowerDVD etc so it's not player-specific.
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 16th September 2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I have had it before on old (rubbish) laptops, it display's it okay if you just use the projector, but if you use the screen on the laptop aswell it just displays it on the laptop screen, but normally, if say the video was embedded in a powerpoint, it just left a black square on the projector screen where the video was ment to be!

Thank Post
    Don't you knock the hardware acceleration up in troubleshoot in the display properties.
    Display>Advanced>Troubleshoot

ajs

Thank Post
    What VGA card is in the laptop?

I've seen this more with ATI and Intel cards than any other and from what I understand, it has something to do with the default way the driver talks to the hardware (IIRC it talks directly to the hardware to get good video acceleration rather than talking to Windows and thus it doesn't work properly with a projector attached).

If it's an ATI card then altering the "Theater Mode" to "Display the same on all displays" in the advanced section of the Catalyst Control Center has always fixed it for me.

With Intel cards, I've had to set the main display to be the projector (listed as "monitor" in the options) which makes the driver switch to thinking the projector is the main display so the problem gets reversed (not found a way yet to get some Intel cards to display the video on both screens yet). That's usually access by right-clicking on the desktop -> Graphics Options -> Output To -> Monitor + Notebook (not Notebook + Monitor which is the default in my experience).

Not come across the problem with NVIDIA cards so can't offer any suggestions with those I'm afraid although I imagine it'll be similar to the ATI solution.

I'm sure there's an ATI knowledge base article about it somewhere but true to form, I can't find it.

Thank Post
    cheers for your help guys, ill give your surgestions a try.

Thank Post
    We have had this problem on some of the older Sony Vio laptops. Fix it by just going in to the display properties and switch the external display to the primary display and visa versa with the laptop display and Bob's your uncle (or not as the case may be!), video on whiteboard and blackimage on laptop. Not a problem as you only need the video on the whiteboard as you can see the rest of the screen area on the laptop.

Thank Post
    It's an overlay issue, graphics acceleration for the video only works on the primary display, so nothing shows on secondary. Turn off overlays - in VLC this is under video settings, in Windows Media Player it's under Tools/Options/Performanced/Advanced button.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast