+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Silly Sky Installation Charges? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Talking Silly Sky Installation Charges?

I have recently had Sky+ fitted in my appartment, which I pay 16.50 a month for, with a free sky + box but I had to pay for the installation charge of 30. Forgive me if I am wrong but the installation charge for me should include fitting of the sky dish, installation of the box, and basically getting your sky tv up and running. The installation engineer came out, and all he did was unplug my old sky box and install the new one using the cables that were already in place. That was my 30? Now the engineer didn't even register my sky card for me, I had to do this????
    Can people give me their opinions on whether this is right or wrong???
    Thanks

Also anybody any previous experience of trying to complain to sky???

Thank Post
    It's a joke I know. We were paying nearly 50 a month for sky and had been doing for the last year. (Don't ask, we don't even watch that much but the other half likes to have everything available). I enquired about upgrading to HD, which would add another 10 a month to the bill and was told we would still have to pay the installation charge - which as you mention, would just involve unplugging to old box and plugging the new one in. I ended up going for it as I couldn't find a HD box anywhere at the time. The engineer was there for about 2 minutes.

If you're a new customer however, who has never paid sky a penny - installation is free!

3. Thanks to SC-UK from:

oalcock (9th September 2009)

Thank Post
    We were a new customer, but because we live in an apartment we needed to go through a company called telair which deal with apartment installations hence we got charged for installation. Richard Murdock has got far too greedy!!!

Thank Post
    We cancelled Sky last week - got sick of the greedy b*******

New customers = brilliant service
    Existing = go shove it

I recently did a course and learnt that it costs about 10 times more to get a new customer than to retain an existing customer - tell me Sky's logic there then!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post

Existing = go shove it

I recently did a course and learnt that it costs about 10 times more to get a new customer than to retain an existing customer - tell me Sky's logic there then!
    Exactly. Once they have you in a contract they couldn't care less.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-UK View Post
    It's a joke I know. We were paying nearly 50 a month for sky and had been doing for the last year. (Don't ask, we don't even watch that much but the other half likes to have everything available). I enquired about upgrading to HD, which would add another 10 a month to the bill and was told we would still have to pay the installation charge - which as you mention, would just involve unplugging to old box and plugging the new one in. I ended up going for it as I couldn't find a HD box anywhere at the time. The engineer was there for about 2 minutes.

If you're a new customer however, who has never paid sky a penny - installation is free!
    Secret to that is phone and tell them you are going to leave them becuase you want a HD service. They usually roll over after that. Of course if they don't you may be left with no sky at all..... lol

Alternatively tell them you will be cancelling the sport or movies they are most expensive and they love for you to have them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post

Existing = go shove it

Also cancelled it, bought a motorised 80cm dish and technomate 5400 instead.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Secret to that is phone and tell them you are going to leave them becuase you want a HD service. They usually roll over after that. Of course if they don't you may be left with no sky at all..... lol

Alternatively tell them you will be cancelling the sport or movies they are most expensive and they love for you to have them.
    Unfortunately it's not that easy anymore. They really don't care about keeping you no matter what you threaten.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    I can testify for that I tried the old I want to cancel for months and months and told them how I thought the fact that new customers get all the best deals and existing customers get naff all was ridiculous.

I got sky+ installed for free.

To give him his due the engineer put the quad lnb on as it was only a single to begin with and ran a new 2 pair cable to the box and then showed the wife what to do with it.

On the downside he left the old cable and lnb on my front lawn.

Ben

Thank Post
    That must be some policy of theirs not to take any rubbish away. They left our old LNB and a load of cable just slung in our back garden where they had been thrown from the top of the ladder. You may have guessed I don't have a lot of good to say about Sky at the moment!

Thank Post

Red face Deals with Sky

On hot Uk Deals, it were saying that telephone sales assistants have 5 vouchers each a week to give awkuard customers of their choice special offers to make their lifes easier. The usual day they give out them vouchers is Wednesday apparantley.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by projector1 View Post
    Also cancelled it, bought a motorised 80cm dish and technomate 5400 instead.

Where did you buy them from if you don't mind me asking?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think it often depends on the engineer.

When we upgraded to SkyHD last year the engineer arrived with a box that didn't work. He went back and forth to his van pulling out new ones until we had one that worked. That took around an hour by the time the installation went through.

I then asked him about the bolts holding my dish mount to the wall. The dish was removed the other week because I had scaffolding on my house. They lost one of the bolts so only three were there. So he went up and decided to replace the dish because it was rusty. Fair play to the bloke.

He was extremely informative and answered anything I asked.

So maybe it depends on your engineer.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Sky don't advertise their best deals.

I recently had Virgin installed with 'Mates Rates' which is XL everything plus a second Vbox, all half price. I phoned sky up and they said they would have matched it all (which is funny because at 5km from the exchange they can only match the broadband price and not the speed!). However I could have had HD box plus multiroom, Sky broadband and line rental with daytime calls for 33 a month.

It is always worth trying cancellations first. You have to give 31 days notice to leave - plenty of time to cancel the cancellation if you can't get a good deal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    I was told if I wanted to leave it would be turned off same day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread