+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Sky TV in schools? in Technical; We want to provide a TV recording and streaming service which does the following: Allows staff to book TV recordings, ...
    Thank Post

Sky TV in schools?

We want to provide a TV recording and streaming service which does the following:

• Allows staff to book TV recordings, including Discovery channels
    • Allows those recordings to be stored centrally
    • Allows staff / students to access stored recordings and view over network
    • Allows simultaneous viewing of live TV over the network

Does anyone have any ideas of how we can do this? Since we need Discovery channels we will need Sky TV.
    Last edited by u8dmtm; 28th August 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post

Unhappy

Not wanting to be too much of a fly in ointment, but personally I don't know what Sky's policy is on redistribution and recording for non-personal time-shifting purposes (they may be happy about that use in schools), but the ERA (Home Page) license doesn't cover Sky. From the ERA FAQ:
    What Licensees Can Record

In general, what can I record off-air?

The ERA Scheme permits recordings of broadcasts to be made for non-commercial educational use. A 'broadcast' is defined as a transmission for simultaneous and lawful reception by members of the public i.e. it is not encrypted or encoded and is for general reception, unlike pay per view services. The ERA Licence therefore covers scheduled free to air broadcasts on:

* BBC television and radio
    * ITV Network services (including ITV2 and ITV3)
    * Channel Four and E4
    * Five television
    * S4C

It also applies to any other licensed broadcast services. These cover both radio and television services.
    You can of course record any of those services distributed via Sky, so record away for BBC1!

There are a couple of DSat receivers for PCs eg http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4348.html) you could potentially control for recording, otherwise using an IR control (Red Rats are good http://www.redrat.co.uk/) to trigger a Sky box with an external capture card to do the recording.

Perhaps have a word with http://www.clickview.co.uk and see what they are up to these days. Otherwise if you do it yourself http://www.umediaserver.net/ is a decent streaming server. Or you could just serve the files up over HTTP, on a decent network that would be okay.
    Last edited by Chillibear; 28th August 2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added some solution suggestions to balance the negatives :)

Thank Post
    Someone here asked Sky about a package, and it was very expensive. I can't remember for sure, but many hundreds a year... The same sort of figure as they charge pubs & clubs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I enquired about getting sky for our boarding house, and was quoted the exact same as pubs and clubs. They deemed it as "public broadcasting".

Anyway, if you can afford the expensive subscriptions, you can do away with the sky box, and buy a Satellite PCI or USB card.

I used a Skysat Technistar card, quite old now, and an Infiniti USB card reader. And with the software such as ProgDVB was able to browse, save etc.

(This setup also let me share the 1 card to multiple receivers, so could watch more than 1 channel at once with the 1 sub, but that might be a wee bit illegal, this was at home and not at school)

You can buy most of the discovery stuff on DVD can you not. Probably heaps cheaper than the 300 quid a month or whatever it was for sky.

Thank Post
    According to this article the discovery channel was coming to freeview.

Freeview Digital TV News Update: Discovery Channel coming to Freeview in 2009

Not sure if they have sinced changed their mind or its coming later on in the year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Someone told me pubs get charged around £30,000 per year. Is that true?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I think it probably depends on the size of the venue. The local cricket club pays around £1,000 per month here.

But the sport bars etc with all the addons Sky Sports, ESPN etc will probably me a lot more.

I suppose the increase in costs is probably the reason why a lot of local establishments buy extra dishes and beam in the football from abroad - although the police and sky are clamping down pretty heavily on this now.

Thank Post

Received Reply from Sky

Just to provide an update to this. We received an email from Sky today with school-specific literature attached. Basically they do provide a schools service with a Schools Pack which also comes with free installation, free equipment and free upgrade from Sky+ to Sky+HD.

The cost is £ 15/month for the Schools Pack plus £ 10/month for Sky+, with free upgrade to HD.

So the per annum cost for the Sky Schools service with PVR is £ 300, with no extra up front costs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Excellent, last time I enquired over this with sky and we nearly signed they wanted a ludicrous amount of money.

Ben

Thank Post
    That schools pack sounds interesting - do you have a link to any documentation? I tried Googling Sky Schools Pack and the only relevant result was a link back to this page!

Thank Post
    Does this also allow you to record programmes from Sky and use them via a VLE, similar to the ERA+ agreement?

Thank Post
    Can you not subscribe to the Discovery channel online and save/stream content?

Thank Post
    I haven't looked. I just wondered as Sky isn't covered by the ERA licence, and wondered if this Schools pack had a similar agreement. It's just for knowledge though, it's not something I am actively pursuing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Last I heard it was about £600 a month, not sure about the sports packages costing more on top of that though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast