+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Video over ethernet in Technical; Quick question please. I need to send video to the far end of the school. There is a fiber link ...
    Thank Post

Video over ethernet

Quick question please.

I need to send video to the far end of the school. There is a fiber link linking both cabs at the ends of the building so the question is, does video over ethernet work over fiber and through the switches?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    We've used Windows Media Encoder to stream a feed from a Video Camera to several locations in the same cabinet... but across different switches... worked over the wireless network too (which isn't the best in the world)

We're looking at a much wider distribution of streams... but never got round to implementing it... there are companies which make Cat5e/VGA extenders.

VGA over CAT5 just an example.

You could look at Slingbox/Catchers too, I think they'll do the same sort of thing.

PEO
    Thank Post
    From what I understand, there is a limit on the distance between hops and the stream can not go through switches. this is what I was told by the installer but I can't seem to find any info on tinternet to back this up. I do know that resolutions can be high and is limited by svga.

will keep looking

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    VLC tends to be pretty solid with streaming video, what are you streaming to and from? computer to computer? one to one? one to many?

Thank Post
    My understanding is that the video over ethernet devices are really video over UTP cable. It just sends the composite video down one pair and each of the audio legs down its own pair. It doesn't get digitised at any point, so sending it through a switch and on through fibre isn't going to work.

Sounds like you need a computer at each end and stream it over the network, using software such as that mentioned above. Windows Media encoder is also worth a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    VLC tends to be pretty solid with streaming video, what are you streaming to and from? computer to computer? one to one? one to many?
    It's for digital signage. We want to send a signal over to the far end of the building to a TV in the dinning room. There's a cab near by so I thought it would be easier to use the existing network rather than use a new cable

Thank Post
    there are 2 ways of doing this, one just sends video signal over cat5, this sends a pure signal down the wire, the other way is to use tcp/ip which is routeable.do you have a digitalsignage solution in place or would thisbe the first foray?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    We want to send a signal over to the far end of the building to a TV in the dinning room.
    As others have already said, the Ethernet cable is used in a slightly different way, so going through switches and fiber isn't going to work. The other problem is video extenders are incredibly expensive for what they are. You'd be better off buying a small ITX system, attaching it to the wall behind the screen and joining the network as you normally would.

You can then use Remote Desktop or VLC, whichever you prefer and display the video directly on the screen. The videos themselves could also be stored locally, so they'd be no need to stream over the network whatsoever.

Thank Post
    Ok thanks for all the advice. For information we have chosen the Sadeo digital signage with the Evo player SWEP EVOlution - Digital Signage Hardware Player from Sedao Digital Signage Solutions fitted to a 42" TV. If you have ever seen a demo of this system you will know why we have chosen Sadeo.

Thank Post
    Either that or a small form factor machine running the XIBO client

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Ok thanks for all the advice. For information we have chosen the Sadeo digital signage with the Evo player SWEP EVOlution - Digital Signage Hardware Player from Sedao Digital Signage Solutions fitted to a 42" TV. If you have ever seen a demo of this system you will know why we have chosen Sadeo.
    then i dont think you can route the traffic, the cat5 is simply a smarter way of connecting the machines than co axial for instance. But please do double check, the sales patter on the website isn't all that clear!.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    If your getting HD TV's or something similiar that has usb ports on it like the samsungs do ( samsung named it wise link ) then you could store all your videos on an ext usb storage device ie hdd , memory stick or w/e and play it through that without needing the network.

Not played around with the settings so not sure about looping the video

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread