+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Installation of equipment in classrooms - British Standard in Technical; I've nicked this post from elsewhere. The BSI have produced a specification of interest to all those who have stuff ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Installation of equipment in classrooms - British Standard

I've nicked this post from elsewhere. The BSI have produced a specification of interest to all those who have stuff installed in classrooms and similar places. If you didn't know, some libraries will allow a download of the BS in certain circumstances (Hampshire for example!).

PAS 122:2009 Specification for the installation of audiovisual equipment in classrooms and general publicly accessible areas

This Publicly Available Specification (PAS) specifies requirements for the correct and safe implementation of audiovisual installations.

This PAS was written to give end users and customers a level of confidence and assurance when purchasing audiovisual (AV) installation services.

PAS 122 provides requirements for the installation of AV equipment in a wide variety of settings. It is intended as a reference point for AV and electrical installers to ensure that the quality and standards of installations are raised to a sustainable level where any customer can be aware that specific criteria are being met.

In particular it has been noted over the past number of years that resellers of interactive whiteboards and AV equipment use third party sub-contractors to install their equipment. It has become apparent following completion of a number of audits that there are no strict guidelines relating to how the installations are carried out and that the processes employed by suppliers and subcontract staff differed greatly.

This adds to the risk as, in a few isolated cases, installs have been carried out without adhering to the appropriate processes. As such, the primary aim of this specification is to provide a framework that helps to ensure increased safety and analysis/management of risks, whilst also demonstrating due diligence in these areas.

Ultimately, an objective of this specification is to provide a means of assessment and certification in order to assure the users and wider industry of compliance with best practice. Wherever possible and where appropriate the equipment and installation processes should have measureable performance figures that can be validated by appropriate assessors and auditors.

This PAS is not a training document and therefore a suitably trained and or competent engineer is required to be able to carry out work to these guidelines.

It is assumed that the installer will have the relevant knowledge and understanding of the market place to suit the installation that is being undertaken.

A series of annexes include the following information for illustrative purposes:

* Further information on the technology referred to in this document
    * Guidance on optical radiation safety
    * A sample site survey document (pre-installation)
    * Sample code of conduct
    * A sample static load test
    * A mechanical stability and static balance test
    * General guidance for using whiteboards and projectors.
    * A sample post installation document.

Although most of the above documents are samples for whiteboard and projector implementations this PAS is not restricted to this type of technology. It is intended to cover the many differing existing and emerging technologies used in the audio visual world.

PAS 122 does not specify requirements for the training of installation engineers. It is for use by audio visual installation companies in the UK who provide installations comprising of a significant AV component such as, but not limited to, computers, projectors, whiteboards, plasma screens, LCD screens, loud speakers (both wall and ceiling mounted) and light arrays to the public and private sectors and their end users.
    Contents of PAS 122 include:

* Foreword
    * Introduction
    * Scope
    * Normative references
    * Terms and definitions
    * Abbreviations
    * Health and safety
    * Working at height
    * Asbestos
    * Electrical safety
    * Hazards
    * Optical radiation safety
    * Pre install
    * Site survey
    * Risk assessment of works to be carried out
    * Customer actions
    * Installer conduct
    * Installation
    * Health and safety
    * Fixings and brackets
    * Structural considerations
    * Electrical considerations
    * Cabling considerations
    * Post install
    * Commissioning
    * Sign off
    * Audit trail
    * Annexes
    * Bibliography

PAS 122 was sponsored by Becta, the Government's lead agency for information and communications technology (ICT) in education.

2. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

AngryTechnician (29th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The was raised at the East Midlands Becta Regional Forum on Tuesday and the important thing to remember is that although you have to pay for this document the thing you be saying to your installers (or as part of the quote insist on it) is that they have read the documents and will install to that standard.

To some extent schools do not have to understand it, just accept it as a standard that can be checked up on if required.

I would also suggest people contact their LA buildings team if they have any questions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJDH View Post
    Hello

I represent a company which supplies interactive audio visual technology which are directly aimed at the educational sector and we install to strict BECTA standards.

If you would like more information about the company and the products and services that we are able to supply please don't hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to help.

Thanks,

Matthew (matthew.harrison@matrixdisplay.com / 07747 697911)
    Can recommend Matrix, they've done installs in a fair few of the schools i look after and they do a good job and are competitively priced

Thank Post
    Sorry for the resurrect, but does this standard include sizes/measurements/dimensions of the installation of ceiling mounted projectors, specifically the recommended distance from ceiling/floor. Are there any stipulations if the room is of an odd size (ie. raised floor and lowered false ceiling - a relatively small room in height).

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Stanton View Post
    Sorry for the resurrect, but does this standard include sizes/measurements/dimensions of the installation of ceiling mounted projectors, specifically the recommended distance from ceiling/floor. Are there any stipulations if the room is of an odd size (ie. raised floor and lowered false ceiling - a relatively small room in height).

Cheers
    I'm not back in the office until next week but can check then. Don't forget that normal Health & Safety rules also apply.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Cheers
    Certainly in most I've seen, I find that they are all no lower than about 6ft 4 from the ground, AKA I can walk under them with a little bit of clearance, however that isn't from an official standard.

You would need to risk assess it as far as I can tell anyway as part of normal risk assessments for classrooms

Thank Post

Cheers

As a rule of thumb for the company I work for we use 6FT as the minimum for ceiling mounted projectors to the floor. We always aim to mount the projector high as possible.

Thank Post
    Think you might want to be looking at wall mounted ultra short throw for this sort of setup

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread