+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Flip video and editing software in Technical; Hi Guys Looking at getting some Flip Video camera. Has anyone found these to work well and what software for ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    207
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Flip video and editing software

    Hi Guys

    Looking at getting some Flip Video camera.

    Has anyone found these to work well and what software for editing was purchased, would like to get a site licence if possible.

    Cooper

  2. #2
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,355
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Just got the Flip Mino 2GB. Great quality, and comes with a XviD codec on the camera which sorts out the problems with codecs!! Means it works in Windows Movie Maker.

    They use up space though 2gb one gives you about an hour of video, so could easily be space hoggers. Out of interest how do people deal with media like this?

  3. #3
    ninjabeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,090
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 100 Times in 88 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    I've just got 5x Flip 60M. They just plug and play. AVI format which can be edited via Movie Maker in XP.

    Footnote:- I've not had the time to try it yet though. I will in a bit.

  4. #4
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,355
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    I've just got 5x Flip 60M. They just plug and play. AVI format which can be edited via Movie Maker in XP.

    Footnote:- I've not had the time to try it yet though. I will in a bit.
    NOTE: This is MPEG4 AVI. The AVI is just the container format, without the XVid codec (on the flipcam) the videos will not work.

  5. #5
    Dodgex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    122
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    We've just got a few of these in, Flip Minos are great, work out of the box. We got 1 HD Version in and I've been having problems editing, It comes with 3ivx codec on the camera but installing it breaks Revelation Sight and Sound (what we use to edit with) and doesn't work with Windows Movie Maker either so I'm currently a bit stuck on it. Normal ones, no problems.

  6. #6
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,355
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgex1 View Post
    We've just got a few of these in, Flip Minos are great, work out of the box. We got 1 HD Version in and I've been having problems editing, It comes with 3ivx codec on the camera but installing it breaks Revelation Sight and Sound (what we use to edit with) and doesn't work with Windows Movie Maker either so I'm currently a bit stuck on it. Normal ones, no problems.
    Movie maker doesn't support HD i dont think so that could be something to do with the problems with the HD camera.

    So far had no problems installing the 3ivX codec but i've only got it on my machine atm as I'm testing it.

  7. #7

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,239
    Thank Post
    375
    Thanked 381 Times in 339 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    As has been said above - these do consume a lot of space in a short space of time, so keep track on the their use by staff and students is something you need to do if they are saving to network drives etc and you are limited to drive space.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    207
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for the helpful posts, good to hear that windows movie maker will edit as read it didnt work, also will stay away from the HD version.

    Cooper

  9. #9


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    Premiere Elements 7 supports HD and the educational price is pretty low.

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    I just did a quick test with a Flip Camera, imported into Movie Maker and then created a wmv file. edugeek - test1

  11. #11


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    This one was created using the software that comes with the camera. I just used the default settings. It took a lot longer to upload than the one produced using WMM. edugeek - Jun 16 2009 - VID00001

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    731
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Sorry to be dragging up an old thread, but my school has invested in a Flip Video Mino HD (15 to be precise) and it comes with its own software called FlipShare 4.1 where you can view and organise the clips you've recorded.

    My problem is I am not able to package the software. It comes with its own MSI but it won't install (through GPO or manually) as it wants the EXE to do the installation. It seems like the EXE installs something and then gets the MSI to finish off the rest of the installation.

    Has anybody attempted it?

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,815
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 888 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Sorry to be dragging up an old thread, but my school has invested in a Flip Video Mino HD (15 to be precise) and it comes with its own software called FlipShare 4.1 where you can view and organise the clips you've recorded.

    My problem is I am not able to package the software. It comes with its own MSI but it won't install (through GPO or manually) as it wants the EXE to do the installation. It seems like the EXE installs something and then gets the MSI to finish off the rest of the installation.

    Has anybody attempted it?
    and to add to that the options wont let you save to a network drive it just says you cqnt set a network drive as default location. Thats easy to fix just manually edit the registry it then dosent seem to check again just when you try to move it. I just set up a ghost package for it but havnt deployed it yet keep finding more important stuff to do

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    731
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    and to add to that the options wont let you save to a network drive it just says you cqnt set a network drive as default location. Thats easy to fix just manually edit the registry it then dosent seem to check again just when you try to move it. I just set up a ghost package for it but havnt deployed it yet keep finding more important stuff to do
    What version are you running? And could you outline the procedure you took to get it packaged successfully, please?

  15. #15


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,815
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 888 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    What version are you running? And could you outline the procedure you took to get it packaged successfully, please?
    version 4.5.0.33816 according to file info (im in a different school atm and my test pc is off)

    package same as any ghost package run ai package creator install, run software, edit registry to point at users home dir/shared dir rather than somewhere on c, close ghost packages. as said its only on 1 pc atm as ive yet to see the camera just the software and the box

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. video editing software
    By gwendes in forum Windows
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10th October 2012, 02:37 AM
  2. Video Editing Software
    By Jamo in forum Windows
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19th May 2009, 07:24 PM
  3. Wax: Video Editing Software
    By dhicks in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th December 2008, 08:09 PM
  4. best video editing software for year 6
    By rocknrollstar in forum Windows
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd September 2008, 09:15 PM
  5. Open source or free video editing software?
    By ChrisH in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th January 2006, 03:28 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •