+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Flip video and editing software in Technical; Hi Guys Looking at getting some Flip Video camera. Has anyone found these to work well and what software for ...

Thank Post

Flip video and editing software

Hi Guys

Looking at getting some Flip Video camera.

Has anyone found these to work well and what software for editing was purchased, would like to get a site licence if possible.

Cooper

Thank Post
    Just got the Flip Mino 2GB. Great quality, and comes with a XviD codec on the camera which sorts out the problems with codecs!! Means it works in Windows Movie Maker.

They use up space though 2gb one gives you about an hour of video, so could easily be space hoggers. Out of interest how do people deal with media like this?

Thank Post
    I've just got 5x Flip 60M. They just plug and play. AVI format which can be edited via Movie Maker in XP.

Footnote:- I've not had the time to try it yet though. I will in a bit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    I've just got 5x Flip 60M. They just plug and play. AVI format which can be edited via Movie Maker in XP.

Footnote:- I've not had the time to try it yet though. I will in a bit.
    NOTE: This is MPEG4 AVI. The AVI is just the container format, without the XVid codec (on the flipcam) the videos will not work.

Thank Post
    We've just got a few of these in, Flip Minos are great, work out of the box. We got 1 HD Version in and I've been having problems editing, It comes with 3ivx codec on the camera but installing it breaks Revelation Sight and Sound (what we use to edit with) and doesn't work with Windows Movie Maker either so I'm currently a bit stuck on it. Normal ones, no problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgex1 View Post
    We've just got a few of these in, Flip Minos are great, work out of the box. We got 1 HD Version in and I've been having problems editing, It comes with 3ivx codec on the camera but installing it breaks Revelation Sight and Sound (what we use to edit with) and doesn't work with Windows Movie Maker either so I'm currently a bit stuck on it. Normal ones, no problems.
    Movie maker doesn't support HD i dont think so that could be something to do with the problems with the HD camera.

So far had no problems installing the 3ivX codec but i've only got it on my machine atm as I'm testing it.

Thank Post
    As has been said above - these do consume a lot of space in a short space of time, so keep track on the their use by staff and students is something you need to do if they are saving to network drives etc and you are limited to drive space.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Thanks for the helpful posts, good to hear that windows movie maker will edit as read it didnt work, also will stay away from the HD version.

Cooper

Thank Post
    Premiere Elements 7 supports HD and the educational price is pretty low.

Thank Post
    I just did a quick test with a Flip Camera, imported into Movie Maker and then created a wmv file. edugeek - test1

Thank Post
    This one was created using the software that comes with the camera. I just used the default settings. It took a lot longer to upload than the one produced using WMM. edugeek - Jun 16 2009 - VID00001

Thank Post
    Sorry to be dragging up an old thread, but my school has invested in a Flip Video Mino HD (15 to be precise) and it comes with its own software called FlipShare 4.1 where you can view and organise the clips you've recorded.

My problem is I am not able to package the software. It comes with its own MSI but it won't install (through GPO or manually) as it wants the EXE to do the installation. It seems like the EXE installs something and then gets the MSI to finish off the rest of the installation.

Has anybody attempted it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Sorry to be dragging up an old thread, but my school has invested in a Flip Video Mino HD (15 to be precise) and it comes with its own software called FlipShare 4.1 where you can view and organise the clips you've recorded.

My problem is I am not able to package the software. It comes with its own MSI but it won't install (through GPO or manually) as it wants the EXE to do the installation. It seems like the EXE installs something and then gets the MSI to finish off the rest of the installation.

Has anybody attempted it?
    and to add to that the options wont let you save to a network drive it just says you cqnt set a network drive as default location. Thats easy to fix just manually edit the registry it then dosent seem to check again just when you try to move it. I just set up a ghost package for it but havnt deployed it yet keep finding more important stuff to do

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    and to add to that the options wont let you save to a network drive it just says you cqnt set a network drive as default location. Thats easy to fix just manually edit the registry it then dosent seem to check again just when you try to move it. I just set up a ghost package for it but havnt deployed it yet keep finding more important stuff to do
    What version are you running? And could you outline the procedure you took to get it packaged successfully, please?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    What version are you running? And could you outline the procedure you took to get it packaged successfully, please?
    version 4.5.0.33816 according to file info (im in a different school atm and my test pc is off)

package same as any ghost package run ai package creator install, run software, edit registry to point at users home dir/shared dir rather than somewhere on c, close ghost packages. as said its only on 1 pc atm as ive yet to see the camera just the software and the box

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast