+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Connecting monitor to av reciever with xbox 360 and wii in Technical; Hi I am having a bit of trouble with some new equipment we recently bought, we have a 62 inch ...
    Thank Post

Connecting monitor to av reciever with xbox 360 and wii

Hi

I am having a bit of trouble with some new equipment we recently bought, we have a 62 inch monitor with dvi and 2 vga connections.

We have an AV reciever this model , and a seperate speaker system.

We also have an xbox 360, wii and dvd player.

I am trying to figure out how to connect all of these together, if i connect the monitor to a dvi to hdmi converter and connect the hdmi cable to the back of the xbox the picture comes throught. But if i then connect the xbox to the av reciever with the compositive cable that came with it and then connect the hdmi cable to the hdmi out on the av reciever i get no picture on the monitor.

I can't figure out where i am going wrong. Does anyone have any ideas or tips i can look at.

Thanks

Thank Post
    If itís like my reciever at home (sony) then you have to connect the monitor the same way as the component, ie HDMI form bluray player to the receiver the HDMI from the receiver to the TV or monitor. I donít think AV receivers will convert the signal from one form to another (please correct me if Iím wrong) ie your component connection to DVI.

Thank Post
    I think your right the problem seems to be the connection from the av reciever to the monitor, i was using a hdmi cable with a dvi hdmi converter i got with a motherboard.

Thank Post
    I have my Xbox attached to my moniter by a VGA cable (and a KVM Switch), you can buy a cable that goes from the Xbox to a VGA and red/white audio cable. That might make connecting the Xbox Easier

Thank Post
    I think that i need some kind of converter between the monitor and reciever. What i need is some kind of device which i can connect the xbox, pc, wii, dvd and has speakers built in, so that i dont have to keep switching from device to device, as with the seperate speakers and pc connection, the staff will have big problems using each device and making sure they are on the right settings, i can just see the pc is on the screen but no audio as it is still set to the xbox.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper View Post
    Hi
    But if i then connect the xbox to the av reciever with the compositive cable that came with it and then connect the hdmi cable to the hdmi out on the av reciever i get no picture on the monitor.
    That's because it's probably only got hdmi switching and not conversion from other inputs.

You will need

Xbox----HDMI--------AMP-----HDMI---------Monitor
    Wii----Component---AMP---Component-----Monitor
    DVD---Component---AMP

The two component can both use the same output from the monitor, but you can't pass the HDMI over component and component over HDMI without the amp upscaling it (check the features incase it does this).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    If itís like my reciever at home (sony) then you have to connect the monitor the same way as the component, ie HDMI form bluray player to the receiver the HDMI from the receiver to the TV or monitor. I donít think AV receivers will convert the signal from one form to another (please correct me if Iím wrong) ie your component connection to DVI.
    You can't do HDMI down to an analog signal (not that it's not possible, just not used due to copy protection). Higher end amps will convert analog signals to HDMI so you can use a single HDMI out to a TV (so you don't need a component one too), although there may be limitations (my Denon will only convert 1080i component and below to HDMI)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    That's because it's probably only got hdmi switching and not conversion from other inputs.

You will need

Xbox----HDMI--------AMP-----HDMI---------Monitor
    Wii----Component---AMP---Component-----Monitor
    DVD---Component---AMP

The two component can both use the same output from the monitor, but you can't pass the HDMI over component and component over HDMI without the amp upscaling it (check the features incase it does this).
    The monitor does not have a component connection. It only has a DVI and 2 VGA ports. They would of been better buying a 65 inch TV.

I found a DVI to HDMI adapter in a motherboard box i had, it works when directly connected to Xbox but not through the reciever.

My original plan was

XBOX ----- COMPONENT --- AV RECIEVER ---- HDMI-----DVI/HDMI CONVERTER ----- MONITOR
    Wii ----- COMPONENT --- AV RECIEVER
    DVD ---- COMPONENT --- AV RECIEVER

Thank Post
    This might be what your looking for, for the xbox, it converts the analog signal to HDMI so you can connect it to the av amp via a HDMI cable
    NEW AUDIO VIDEO HDMI AV CABLEGaming Cables For Xbox 360 on eBay, also, Accessories, Video Games (end time 14-May-09 11:35:07 BST)
    so if there is the same type of adaptor for the wii (I had quick look but could'nt find one) and your DVD has a HDMI INTERFACE? you would have all consoles and DVD connected to the AV amp via a HDMI cable then using the amp to switch between them and only one HDMI cable with your DVI converter to the Monitor. Make sence
    Any Help?

XBOX---HDMI CONVERTER-----AMP
    WII-----HDMI CONVERTER-----AMP---HDMI-DVI CONVERTER---MONITOR
    DVD---HDMI------------------AMP
    Last edited by ozzy; 22nd April 2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: SPELLING

Thank Post
    This might be what your looking for, for the xbox, it converts the analog signal to HDMI so you can connect it to the av amp via a HDMI cable
    NEW AUDIO VIDEO HDMI AV CABLEGaming Cables For Xbox 360 on eBay, also, Accessories, Video Games (end time 14-May-09 11:35:07 BST)
    so if there is the same type of adaptor for the wii (I had quick look but could'nt find one) and your DVD has a HDMI INTERFACE? you would have all consoles and DVD connected to the AV amp via a HDMI cable then using the amp to switch between them and only one HDMI cable with your DVI converter to the Monitor. Make sence
    Any Help?

Would a DVI to Component cable work, something like this

as the xbox wii and dvd should all have component cables i dont think they wii has a HDMI cable.

Thank Post
    Any Help?

That won't work, it's still not transcoding the signal from analog to digital. Getting the sockets connected is no good if the signal is not in a format that can be understood. You can buy a box to change from vga/component to hdmi but that's going to be at least £150 for a reaonable one (use one on my Dreamcast to convert vga/L+R to hdmi signal).

Thank Post
    That won't work, it's still not transcoding the signal from analog to digital. Getting the sockets connected is no good if the signal is not in a format that can be understood. You can buy a box to change from vga/component to hdmi but that's going to be at least £150 for a reaonable one (use one on my Dreamcast to convert vga/L+R to hdmi signal).
    Can you suggest a box to change vga\dvi to component or hdmi, or would it be better to get a different AV Reciever as the one we have been supplied with clearly doesn't convert the signal from the monitor.

Thank Post
    Can you suggest a box to change vga\dvi to component or hdmi, or would it be better to get a different AV Reciever as the one we have been supplied with clearly doesn't convert the signal from the monitor.
    The first this is this. Is the monitor HDCP compliant over DVI? If it's not then you won't be able to get it working with much that uses hdmi (the xbox may work plugged in directly but have you tried it with a dvd playing on the xbox?)

Thank Post
    The first this is this. Is the monitor HDCP compliant over DVI? If it's not then you won't be able to get it working with much that uses hdmi (the xbox may work plugged in directly but have you tried it with a dvd playing on the xbox?)
    I havnt tried the xbox playing a dvd but i did try a game that came with it.

this is the monitor we have its a collevo 65MDT1 it is part of there gofinger range we bought it as it is a touch screen.

As for HDCP i have no idea. I will try the dvd to see if that works.

Thank Post
    I havnt tried the xbox playing a dvd but i did try a game that came with it.

this is the monitor we have its a collevo 65MDT1 it is part of there gofinger range we bought it as it is a touch screen.

As for HDCP i have no idea. I will try the dvd to see if that works.
    No HDCP it seems, I'd give up on it as a lost cause with anything HDMI. You my be able to use component on the xbox instead (no idea what they have on the new ones) and then use a component to vga convertor. There's no guarantee anything will work though depending on the supported resolutions and refresh rates.

If it had been a normal lcd tv then it would have just been a case of running a component and hdmi from the amp!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast