+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Sound, lights (and video?) for drama studio in Technical; Originally Posted by j17sparky You still dont need 2. I'm still aiming for at least two output channels - I ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    You still dont need 2.
    I'm still aiming for at least two output channels - I want to be able to listen to one track on headphones whilest another is playing over the speakers. Are there sound cards available with two sets of output ports?

Ive never found a format which cant be converted.
    YouTube "format 10" FLV videos, but I'll definitely give Media Converter a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C
    Two things; don't use mp3.
    Okay, can anyone recommend a ready-made, royalty-free library of sound effects in WAV format, preferably read-to-go on USB storage or similar?

Audigrabber only failed to find contents lists for 4 of them.
    Did that include sound effects CDs?

are you really happy with them using pirated music/sfx?
    No, nothing's being pirated here - we bought tracks from iTunes, we paid for public performance licenses, we just want to play the tracks in something other than iTunes (we had a couple of tracks we wanted cut or mixed together, so we wanted to get them into Audacity for editing).

I'm sure I read on here a few weeks back about a program specifically designed to route sound within a PC
    Damn, you're right - "virtual audio cable" or similar, I think it was called. Good point, thanks.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Did that include sound effects CDs?
    Only SFX CDs! 40 or so of the BBC set, some Bits & Pieces disks, some OLD BBC record versions on CD, and a set of 10, the provenance of which I can't recall. It failed on two of the BBC disks, and a French double set called "Bang!", which is a shame as there are hundreds of tracks, all about a second long. Just gunfire.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 15th February 2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Spling

3. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

dhicks (15th February 2009)

Thank Post
    For the sound, you'd probably wan't to get some kind of "playout" software like Radio Stations use which can give you buttons to different mp3s.

Download Demos - JAZLER radio automation software -> scroll down to JazlerShow. That should do the trick.

I'd reccomend Dual Sound Cards too in a decent spec PC to handle this kinda thing.

5. Thanks to rh91uk from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    It failed on two of the BBC disks, and a French double set called "Bang!", which is a shame as there are hundreds of tracks, all about a second long. Just gunfire.
    Crickey. Makes you wonder - are soldiers like with the Inuit and the whole thing with having dozens of different words for snow? Do soldiers have dozens of different words for gunfire: "Hmm, that was a whistle-crump-echo", "No, no - I'm sure it was a whistle-crump-boom...".

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richardharris View Post
    For the sound, you'd probably wan't to get some kind of "playout" software like Radio Stations use which can give you buttons to different mp3s. JazlerShow. That should do the trick.
    Thanks, that sounds like just the ticket.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Thanks, that sounds like just the ticket.
    I don't quite understand using a radio station system when there is software specifically for theatre around... Don't get me wrong, it could work, but SCS I refer to above DOES work. Your call.

Would Winchester be too far to come and have a look at what it can do? Drop me a PM if you'd like a run through on what we use.

9. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    it could work, but SCS I refer to above DOES work.
    I'm going mostly by screenshots, but Jazler looks perfect - nice big buttons which you click on and get a sound. That sounds about right for the users that'll be using this system. I might even try and get hold of a touch screen to work with it.

Admittedly, I'm aiming for about the most basic, simplest system possible - I can see our girls being able to handle Jazler. It is, also, free, of course, which is a definite bonus :-)

Would Winchester be too far to come and have a look at what it can do?
    Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely think about that one.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    On a somewhat related subject, whilst we're discussing sound systems: has anyone used a netbook for much to do with sound - is the sound output quality okay? Could you potentially get a netbook to use as a portable sound-playing device to hook up to a theatre's sound system?

Thank Post
    The two problems you may face are the same as using a laptop:-

Sound card quality, it may have odd filters to make headphones sound good, and many are just be poor to start with.

Power supply. Many, many laptop PSUs create a digital noise due to the design and an extra earth connection. This occurs differently between different models from the same mfr. Some Vaios are fine (mine was) some are hideous. They will work on battery, or with isolating transformers to separate the earths.

13. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    Sound card quality, it may have odd filters to make headphones sound good, and many are just be poor to start with. They will work on battery, or with isolating transformers to separate the earths.
    Ah ha - thanks for that, very useful. I've found laptop sound output to be poor in the past but just put it down to "poor quality" sound components, nice to have a decent explanation of what's going on. I'll remember the run-from-battery advice. To avoid sound issues with my laptop and desktop at home I use an external USB Soundlblaster, but I was thinking here of a nice all-in-one unit that would be easy to lug around on the train between theatres. I guess an external USB soundcard is still possible, but I can't see it helping the battery life of the average netbook much. Also a problem if someone turns up with audio on CD if your netbook doesn't have a CD drive.

Can anyone recommend a netbook with a good battery life?

Anyone use a very-slim-line portable external (USB) CD-ROM drive? We have one, but it's the size, shape and weight of a sizeable brick and comes complete with external power supply.

Has anyone bought one of those very cheap USB sound "devices" off eBay? They look dodgy as anything, being basically a USB dongle with audio in and out ports - anyone had any use out of them?

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12