+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Roku 3, Plex and DLNA in Technical; My Roku 3 box has finally arrived (maybe a bit to small to refer to as a 'box I think) ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Roku 3, Plex and DLNA

My Roku 3 box has finally arrived (maybe a bit to small to refer to as a 'box I think) and I'm doing quite a bit af head scratching as regards to the full Plex client and how it is now supposed to be fully DLNA complient yet will not see my Zyxel NSA320.
    The default Roku media player app see it fine, but Plex does not and by all accounts should, by default, discover all DLNA devices on the network. The NSA320 even sees it as a valid media client it can stream too.
    I can go as far as installing the Plex server to the NSA320 via SSH but it would involve my having to backup all of the media first and with over a TB on there will take some time
    If I've missed something please let me know!
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 13th August 2014 at 12:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *bump*

Thank Post
    I've never tried to use the Plex client to do that in this way. I have Plex server installed on my N54L and the client on the Roku's just connects to that.
    If I want to do DLNA streaming, I'd use the Roku media player as you have already alluded to. Perhaps the Plex client can do it too, I have never tried, I'll have a look when at home.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It was this post here: Did Roku just get DLNA? : Roku that set me off.

Am I seeing things or did the Roku Media Player app just get updated and now sees DLNA servers? Native DLNA support is kind of a big deal. You'd think somebody would mention it.
    Between this and the new YouTube channel, all my Roku wishes have been answered.
    And several postes there confirmed it. Perhaps certain criteria have to be met :/

Thank Post
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding your OP - but the way I've always understood it, and from what I am reading on the Reddit thread, is that it is the Roku and it's media player app that supports DLNA (which it does) and not the Plex client (I've never come across it in the Plex client).

If you have a Plex Media Server - that does output a DLNA feed as well as the Plex stuff for the Plex clients. That DLNA feed works fairly well, as it's what I used to use prior to the Roku.

If you can somehow install the PMS on your NAS, I'd recommend it. As long as your media is named correctly and stored in a sensible folder structure, it just sees it all (well, 99% of stuff) and will transcode anything your client cannot play. I've seriously come across nothing Plex and Roku cannot play, with most things just being streamed to the Roku without being transcoded.

6. Thanks to InterwebsGuy from:

Dos_Box (14th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    My Roku 3 box has finally arrived (maybe a bit to small to refer to as a 'box I think) and I'm doing quite a bit af head scratching as regards to the full Plex client and how it is now supposed to be fully DLNA complient yet will not see my Zyxel NSA320.
    The default Roku media player app see it fine, but Plex does not and by all accounts should, by default, discover all DLNA devices on the network. The NSA320 even sees it as a valid media client it can stream too.
    I can go as far as installing the Plex server to the NSA320 via SSH but it would involve my having to backup all of the media first and with over a TB on there will take some time
    If I've missed something please let me know!
    As far as I am aware, Plex does support DNLA Profiles and so does the Roku, if you use the Plex app this just talks to your PMS. If you want to use DNLA then take a look in the Plex forums for support.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/forum/113-dlna/

I use a modified open source version of the Roku Channel on my boxes.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...-roku-channel/

8. 2 Thanks to Brimstone:

Dos_Box (14th August 2014), InterwebsGuy (14th August 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread