+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Torrent Legality in Technical; Originally Posted by tmcd35 AFAIK, this law was finally updated a month or so ago, so it's no longer illegal ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    AFAIK, this law was finally updated a month or so ago, so it's no longer illegal to format shift any content so long as it is for personal use only and you are not distributing the content in any way. This includes ripping DVD's to file servers, CD's to MP3's, VHS tapes to DVD, etc.

I believe the education fair use updates allows for copying parts of works from an original source for research purposes. So you could rip a key scene from To Kill A Mockingbird (classic film) and give a copy to each student on a pen drive for them to cross reference with the book they are reading. But, you couldn't burn them copies of the entire film.
    So they have, as of 1st June. Blimey! Copyright law is marginally less stupid than it was in May, albeit still pretty short-sighted.

Thank Post
    So technically, anyone who purchased a Sony MiniDisc (for example) back in the day then ripped their CD collection using Sony's own software to copy the music onto their Sony MiniDisc was in fact breaking the law? The same law that is meant to protect Sony? I guess that's why it never took off, because they could sue you for copyright infrigement by using their product

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    So technically, anyone who purchased a Sony MiniDisc (for example) back in the day then ripped their CD collection using Sony's own software to copy the music onto their Sony MiniDisc was in fact breaking the law?
    Erm, Yes!

The same law that is meant to protect Sony?
    Kinda. The law is more meant to protect the income of content creators. It just so happens a lot of the content creators are now 9-5 jobbers working for faceless corps rather than independents.

I guess that's why it never took off, because they could sue you for copyright infrigement by using their product
    Not really, they were actually reasonably popular back in the day. More a victim of bad timing than anything. CD Walkmans, CD-R's, MP3's and Napster all appeared at around the same time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Bear in mind that it's still technically illegal to rip CDs you own to MP3s for your own personal use, or downloading torrents of MP3s for CDs you own.
    The latter part makes sense, as you'd be uploading the torrent whilst downloading it. Potentially to people who didn't have an original.

And even when you have all the relevant licences, you need to use a legal copy - so when teachers come to you with a DVD in hand asking if they can have copies so they can use it in three lessons at once, no, no they cannot. They need to purchase three copies.

Again: copyright law is stupid.
    ??? I don't see why this is stupid. If you'd designed the world's greatest spork and were selling it commercially, would you be happy if a teacher got someone to scan and 3D print off their own copies rather than buy originals 'cos "It's for the kids"? I wouldn't, but I may just be tight!

So technically, anyone who purchased a Sony MiniDisc (for example) back in the day then ripped their CD collection using Sony's own software to copy the music onto their Sony MiniDisc was in fact breaking the law? The same law that is meant to protect Sony? I guess that's why it never took off, because they could sue you for copyright infrigement by using their product
    Depends where you were. True in the UK, but IIRC the US (bizarrely given the sway the *AA's have) has always had a "fair use" exemption.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And the chances are the music you were ripping was published by Sony as well

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    ??? I don't see why this is stupid. If you'd designed the world's greatest spork and were selling it commercially, would you be happy if a teacher got someone to scan and 3D print off their own copies rather than buy originals 'cos "It's for the kids"? I wouldn't, but I may just be tight!
    That "stupid" comment was aimed more at the paragraph before, about the four licences you need to watch a film. Joke was somewhat undermined/muddied by my decision to then add in extra factual content, thus undoing the sarcastic content. Alas!

Thank Post
    That "stupid" comment was aimed more at the paragraph before, about the four licences you need to watch a film. Joke was somewhat undermined/muddied by my decision to then add in extra factual content, thus undoing the sarcastic content. Alas!
    Is that because you didn't have a sarcastic content license for EduGeek?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is that because you didn't have a sarcastic content license for EduGeek?
    Pfft. Like I need one. I'm hardly ever sarcastic.

Thank Post
    You'll make me mega rich... if I could ever get my sarcasm detector service to stop exploding

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'll make me mega rich... if I could ever get my sarcasm detector service to stop exploding
    Are you the NSA?

http://www.cnet.com/news/secret-serv...ting-software/

Thank Post
    ROFL!! Sure that's easy for them to do!!!

If (($nationality == "British") and ($baseThread < 100)) Then sarcasm = true

You can post my cheque when you crawl this NSA

Thank Post
    Any records of a teacher actually getting punished by copyright authorities?

Thank Post
    Torrent - not a chance. Anything outside of the original usage terms of the media will be forbidden. In a professional capacity you can't risk anything like this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Copyright & Schools: photocopy, scan, screen or broadcast copyright resources in classrooms - simple advice for teachers gives exact advice about what can be done, where, when and how it can be used.

14. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

Gongalong (9th October 2014), robk (3rd September 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and you can go to Intellectual Property Office - Changes to copyright law and guidance for the list of new and updated exceptions

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

robk (3rd September 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    The other thing you have to watch for is how long the bbc for example is the rights holder this may only be for a certain amount of time or only cover certain transmission methods which is why sometimes shows disappear from on demand services after a while.

Ben

18. Thanks to plexer from:

Gongalong (9th October 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast