+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, New projector installation - what kit is required? in Technical; I've been given the go ahead for a room to be kitted out with a new projector installation over the ...

Thank Post

New projector installation - what kit is required?

I've been given the go ahead for a room to be kitted out with a new projector installation over the summer - and this is all new to me due to the other projectors all being on site & mounted before I arrived here.

Just about to source & order the parts required, and then our building maintenance company is happy to install - thus we only have to pay them the labour costs.

Have I missed anything here? The plan is just to use a dry-wipe whiteboard as the screen as an interactive board is not required in this room at all - it's only used for small group work.

1. Projector - Epson EB-X20
    2. Dry wipe board - 1200x900 non-magnetic
    3. B-Tech Universal Projector Ceiling Mount
    4. Wall plate - VGA, Audio (Left / Right / Video)
    5. VGA cable - 25m ** Do I need to get a specific VGA cable type / end if I'm using the A/V wall plate? **
    6. AV Lead - 25m - 3x phono to 3x phono ** Do I need to get a specific AV cable type / end if I'm using the A/V wall plate? **
    7. Long power cable (or provide an extension to the projector mount)

Do I need a specific type of VGA & A/V cable to go into the back of the wall plate?

Thanks very much, trying to ensure I have everything ordered beforehand & ready for the summer.

Thank Post
    With the wall plate, I advise a little caution. There is NO standard wiring colour for VGA. H and V frequencies are the issue. RGB tend to be easy as they are usually thicker cores, with an associated ground. I have fitted around 10 or so, and even cables from the same batch from the same manufacturer, had differing colour to pin patterns.
    If you can, try to get the VGA cable to have the unclip able plugs, so you can actually open it up to inspect the colours used. The other choice, which is what we're having to do in our theatre, is to use a VGA plate on both ends, and select our own colours for the H and V.

3. Thanks to jallsop from:

Oaktech (9th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi

You can get the wall plates pre-made which makes cable runs easier. Have a look here for example

SG197 - -- - AV PLATE AND CABLE ASSEMBLY, 20M | CPC

Andrew

Thank Post
    That's a good idea with the assembly all made up - what plugs are on the other end then? Is it like a normal vga plug on the other end which goes directly into the projector?

Thank Post
    id be tempted to run a hdmi cable while youre at it i suspect it will be needed sooner or later. as to vga get a box that terminates with a gender changer do you dont need to solder just screw roof cable in one side output lead into other
    Last edited by sted; 9th June 2014 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB_NI View Post
    That's a good idea with the assembly all made up - what plugs are on the other end then? Is it like a normal vga plug on the other end which goes directly into the projector?
    Yes, exactly that. The ones we use have a male vga, red white yellow scart, audio socket and a 'B' end USB all of which can be plugged directly into the projector as required.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,892 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    Hi

You can get the wall plates pre-made which makes cable runs easier. Have a look here for example

SG197 - -- - AV PLATE AND CABLE ASSEMBLY, 20M | CPC

Andrew
    We use the 5m versions of these with the Epson EB-485wi and they work perfectly.

Thank Post
    Just as a personal preference have you looked at the Sahara Ceiling Projector Mounts? I prefer there design for the universal plate than one of those ones with the little arms that rotate and extend if that makes sense?

Also have you looked at using LED Projectors? we use the Casio - XJM130 heres

Thank Post
    Have a look at the vision techconnect stuff too, sahara also make some nice breakout boxes too
    Last edited by caffrey; 9th June 2014 at 12:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    id be tempted to run a hdmi cable while youre at it i suspect it will be needed sooner or later.
    I agree - any new installations should have a HDMI available otherwise you'll have all sorts of fun and games with HDCP as soon as someone wants to play video.

Thank Post
    I quite like the Sahra wall plate connection boxes 1770005 - SAHARA - WALL BOX WITH AV CONNECTORS | CPC (also available with cables). The cables all hang down so less strain on them and less likely to get damaged, inside the box it's all pass-through connectors so just buy the length of leads you'd like pre-made and no need to worry about soldering.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread