+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Build your own CCTV Systems... in Technical; Do take a look at the new Uniquiti Airvision Pro range. This is set to upset and disrupt the market ...

Thank Post
    Do take a look at the new Uniquiti Airvision Pro range.
    This is set to upset and disrupt the market in much the same way as Unifi has done in the wifi sector.

It's been a longtime coming but now its here I think we will see a lot more of it.

2. 3 Thanks to m25man:

JRowley (16th June 2014), lmgtfy (23rd May 2014), zag (16th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Why build your own... You can buy a DVR box that will do 16 cameras for under $150. Throw a 2 TB HDD in there for another $100 and the DVR part if done.

I use to build them using Digivue (EYESPY), which was a $400 card for the box and only did 9 streams at that point.

Thank Post
    We've used http://www.acti.com/product/detail/V..._System/NVR_V3 free for less than 16 cams. it's just sat on an old server.

And various acti cams.

- - - Updated - - -

We've used http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Video_Management_System/NVR_V3 free for less than 16 cams. it's just sat on an old server.

And various acti cams.

Thank Post
    I'm doing the same project this week during half-term. We had a handful of D-Link IP cameras a couple of years ago, but no PoE switches to power them (so each one had a power block) and they ended up causing the old cat5 network to slow down to a crawl.

What we now have is a much more robust network with fibre links between each cab and the core. I've taken the old cctv 'server' (that resembled more of a high-end gaming machine - NOTE your CCTV server does not require a 300+ NVidia graphics card) and rebuilt it into a fileserver with an i7 processor. Highly recommend WD Red HDD's. We've currently got 2 x 2tb that record 11 cameras archiving for one week. We've gone for the Milestone Pro software to manage the cameras, and am happy to say it hasn't let us down yet. I will add though - the only reason I rebuilt the server was because it was sat there full of usable parts. If starting afresh, I would keep costs to a minimum and purchase a DVR box. Much simpler and cheaper.

I think we've learnt a lesson that D-Link, whilst solid kit, is overpriced compared to other options out there. The other problem we experienced was with the D-Link software bundle. I found it to be unstable and buggy, especially when trying to configure cameras or maintain connections. And attempts at getting support were painful and fruitless.

As the Milestone license allows for more cameras I've also just ordered eight Hikvision fixed dome cameras. I cannot recommend Hikvision enough. At around 100 per camera the quality is excellent - particularly good for picking out faces in crowded corridors. Another plus-point is that Hikvision cameras use Sony CCDs which are noticeably better than other alternatives.

For further info/advice I can highly recommend speaking to Stacey at CCTV Direct, and Phil at Use-IP Ltd.

Thank Post
    We use a home brew server with a quad core xeon 8gb ram and a software raid of 3 3tb disks and a single 160gb for OS. We run server 2008r2 and LuxRiot (which costs about 1000 for unlimited use) and a whole load of other IP cameras. We don't exploit nearly all the software features!

We like luxriot because it is simple and quite cheap and is not picky about cameras.

Originally it was built for us by Prime Digital but they proved to be unreliable and untidy so we waited out our contract and then we took over looking after it ourselves.

Thank Post
    Might be worth looking at some of the mid range NAS's that you can get - the synology one that we've just put in for additional backups has a lot of options for supporting CCTV cameras, might be a much quicker and easier way to set it up - all done through the web interface. Not sure how much extra the licences are, but the RS2414+ box we have supports up to 35 cameras when the licences are added.

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've gone through the motions. iSpy was damn demanding on CPU so that was written off, it couldn't cope with 5 cameras on a core i3. We plumped for buying BlueIris in the end which was more than capable and have been using that since. Very cheap too.
    We looked at the CCTV licenses for our Synology box but DAMN it's expensive. Far cheaper to buy a beast of a server, buy software of your choice and DIY it!

I use zoneminder for home CCTV. That works rather well although not exactly easy/intuitive by any means. Wouldn't recommend it for multiple cameras.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 29th May 2014 at 06:49 PM.

Thank Post
    I would recommend Axis hands down for cameras, they are of rock solid build quality and reliability and the feature set is brilliant, expensive but worth the extra IMHO. We use a QNAP QVR for the recording side of things which have also been very good and easy to use set and forget appliance. The latest software version 5 is a big improvement over the old.

Another thing the Axis and also Mobotix cameras do is edge recording to SD card, SD cards are cheap these days and although you'll spend more on the camera it will save having large RAID arrays for storage.

I can also recommend the 360 degree hemispheric cameras, we have replaced some wall mount dome cameras for these in low ceiling corridors and they have been amazing, no where for the offender to hide plus they look very much like smoke alarms so very inconspicuous.

Outside I've used Raymax Infra-red LED illuminators, they are the best and can be PoE powered and even controlled if you like that sort of thing!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Do take a look at the new Ubiquiti Airvision Pro range.
    This is set to upset and disrupt the market in much the same way as Unifi has done in the wifi sector.

It's been a longtime coming but now its here I think we will see a lot more of it.
    A link for those who are curious, I have no experience with the product myself but if the school required one I would probably push for this. airVision | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.

Thank Post
    Just as a side note if anyone is using AirVision, I've today managed to get the web interface working properly with IE11 if anyone has been having issues with that.

Thank Post
    We use blueiris software on 2 cctv machines at our place. The software is fairly flexible and does everything and a lot more than i need it to do. We have PoE IP dome cameras and use PoE injectors as our switches arent poe ready. The machines arent anything special.

One is a quad core processor about 5/6 years old which manages to run 8 cameras 24/7.

The other is a Core2duo processor about 3/4 years old whicg manages to run 6 cameras 24/7.

Both systems write the video files as wmv files. The support from the software's creator is great, he is always willing to help as much as possible.

Dont have much to do with it now, it just runs but its been invaluable and wouldnt be without it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12