+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Green Screen / Chroma Key - Systems in Technical; Hi all, I've had a look through various posts on here and no one has really asked this question since ...
    Thank Post

Green Screen / Chroma Key - Systems

Hi all,

I've had a look through various posts on here and no one has really asked this question since 2011 and I'm hoping time has moved forward enough to provide a solution that doesn't cost the earth.

One of our Academies are looking at completely refurbing a large section of the building and have a really exciting project agreed. Part of this project includes the idea of a green screen and discussing it with them they were planning on doing the chroma key post processing which is easy enough.

I'm just wondering whether there are any live solutions out there where the students can actually see what's going on behind them and don't have to act blind. I'm not at all expecting such a solution to be cheap though it would be great to hear what experience others have had and can advise on.

I've had a look at various things through google but my googlefu appears to be letting me down as I'm not really finding an answer.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

K

Thank Post
    If you just want something to preview an effect while the students act and record then I would have a look at this, It's mac only but i've found it really handy for previewing effects and getting students in the correct place while recording green screen footage. but it does not record anything this is for previewing and demoing only.

For live mixing of chroma key effects there is more of a cost involved with buying something like ultimatte or veescope.

3. Thanks to brewerd from:

Killer_Bot (19th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that brewerd.

Am I right in thinking that you could, in theory, just record a video on the camera whilst seeing the chroma key effects live, and then apply that same effect onto the video afterwards with something like FinalCut?

Not quite as neat as a full solution but that could work right? Any advice on hooking a camera into the Mac so you could see that live effect whilst still being able to record on the camera?

That software you mentioned didn't appear too expensive either (atleast Veescope). Am I right in thinking with that, and all the necessary kit, we could see what we're recording with the chroma key in effect?

Thank Post
    I would give Planet PC a call, they have set up the equipment at two schools that I've worked in and have been great both times.

6. Thanks to NewFormz from:

Killer_Bot (19th May 2014)

Thank Post
    I'll do exactly that thanks NewFormz.

Thank Post
    PlanetPC are great and we have purchased a lot of kit from them over the years, but I've found that you can achieve similar results without the need to go down the tricaster route (or similar)

@Kiler-Bot the way I do it for BBC news day and the like is to first hook the camera up via FireWire or USB to a Mac running chromakey live software, this provides a rough preview of the effect for geting placement and lighting right then when ready press record on the camera as normal and apply the actual chroma key effect in your chosen editor. We use after effects but the new iMovie does a nice job very quickly and easily.

When all is said and done its a bit rough and ready but it works and it runs on hardware that a lot of schools have already. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by brewerd; 19th May 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Thank Post
    I want to try to keep it as simple as possible because otherwise it will end up not being used. I think filming with a view to what's going on and then applying the effect afterwards could work really well and should be straight forward.

The only concern I'd have is when using live backgrounds. If the children wanted to interact with what's going on in the background for example they'd have to get the timing perfect with regards to starting the movie at the same time they hit record. I suspect it'd be similiar whether you were recording with the effect live or not now though wouldn't it..... just hit record and play at same time and off you go.

That could work.

Brewerd - Could I ask what camera you tend to use? They're looking to get a camera/tripod setup but I don't want to go over board nor do I want to go too cheap.

Thank Post
    We've used a variety of camcorders from a basic dv tape camera or basic USB webcam to Sony pd-170s and canon hv40s. We've got some canon SLRs and r36 camcorders but I haven't tried them yet and i dont think they'll work.

Anything with a FireWire output and tape deck will work fine my favourite is the hv40 as it records full HD to dv tape, USB camcorders can be hit and miss it depends if they can output live video over USB.

As for the interaction with the background, timing is everything and practice makes perfect there I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    I can confirm interacting with the background is all practice and timing. Did a presentation with myself recorded walking onto the screen behind me then having to interact with myself took some practice to get it fluid, you can't adlib! Did it all post processed using VideoStudio. Looked good I was told but don't want to do it again!

Thank Post
    We use one of these Datavideo DVK-200 SD Chromakey.
    I have it set up with 2 computers and a DV camera. One PC provides the background, the camera the foreground and it outputs the processed image to the 2nd PC which we have also displaying on a Whiteboard so the "actors" can see what they are doing.
    It's a few years old and I find the inputs a little limiting. If you use DVI for the background PC it only leaves you SVGA as a sensible option for the camera. Ir could do with an extra DVI/DP/HDMI.
    We also had to buy a vga to USB converter to for the 2nd PC. It would have been better with a video capture card but we needed a cheaper option at the time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread