+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Seeking help with Sibelius 7 configuration and asio. in Technical; Up until now, we have happily been using Sibelius 7 with large midi keyboards. Keyboards that are midi instruments, having ...

Thank Post

Seeking help with Sibelius 7 configuration and asio.

Up until now, we have happily been using Sibelius 7 with large midi keyboards. Keyboards that are midi instruments, having their own sounds.
    These are now falling to pieces and it turns out they are really hard to replace like for like.

We have been looking at other options, including simple midi controller keyboards that have no playback facilities of their own.
    We experienced very large amounts of latency due to the playback being via Microsoft Midi Sound Mapper, and were told that we'd need an ASIO sound card.
    We tried a couple of external USB Midi devices that were recomended by Jigsaw24, but had the same issue with latency.
    We tried an old Soundblaster (awe32) card, and it worked perfectly; however these are no longer produced, and we need a solution that is a little less hit and miss than buying up old cards on ebay.

In the end we purchased an Asus Xonar DSX 7.1 card, as this supports asio.
    Now if we fire up sibelius, the only device listed is microsoft sound mapper, with it's huge latency. In audio engine options we can select the asus card's asio driver if we tick the virtual instrument box, but then get no sound at all.

I'm sure that there must be a solution to our woes that doesn't involve buying very expensive pro level cards for each computer.
    Is anyone able to offer insight/advice/help/solutions/alcohol?

Here's hoping
    Pete.

Thank Post
    Sorry if this info is slightly wrong as it's off the top of my head from use of Sibelius 5, 6 & 7

You need to go into the playback devices options and select the asio "driver". Then there's a button in there which takes you to the options for what sounds it uses. This must be set to the Sibelius sound essentials. I think 7 installs the essential sound banks by default but check this.

In the latency settings start with 512 samples and work up and down from there until you get the right valence between latency and the number of instruments you can play before it grinds the pc to a halt.

IMO I wouldn't be buying any more Asus sound cards -assuming you've only got one to test. They are a consumer gaming brand not a pro audio brand. First of all try installing asio4all and using the inboard sound. If you need an external interface I'd look no further than maudio and focusrite

3. Thanks to j17sparky from:

peterp (8th May 2014)

Thank Post

Seeking help with Sibelius 7 configuration and asio.

I posted in here a whole ago how we have Sibelius setup and how we fixed our latency issues

Sibelius 7 Sound / ASIO4ALL / Latency Woes

5. Thanks to jszkudlapski from:

peterp (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    We have finally fixed the issue with the help of these replies.
    The issue was the Sound essentials player, which we hadn't got installed (from the original sibelius discs). Since we put on the full upgrade installer from the web, it didn't include this player.

Once I installed this from the disc, and then used the asio setup on the asus card in the audio engine, we get latency free sound.
    I know it's only a home grade card, but we can't afford pro level ones.

Thank Post
    Glad you got it sorted, knew it would be the sound bank. First time I installed Sibelius I was like wtf, why would it not install that by default?? Or at least urge you to install it, spelling out the fact it won't play anything until you do!

Now you've got it working try out ASIO4ALL on your onboard sound. Bet you it works just/nearly as good as your Asus card. Put the money you save into buying new PCs in the future. I know the consensus on here seems to be buy a pro audio card and it will solve all your latency issues but it just isn't true. Soundcards, regardless of who makes them and what interface they use do not do any processing themselves, they are simply an interface, a collection of ports. The CPU is what processes the sound*

What CPU do you have in them? Once the kids start going mad with tonnes of instruments it will start showing up a slow CPU pretty quickly. If the same people who write Sibelius as a whole also write the audio engine... lets just say I wouldn't like to run v7 on a slow PC.

* Unless you use the cards DSP technology, but unless you are spending £thousands it's just a gimmick.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 8th May 2014 at 07:29 PM.

8. Thanks to j17sparky from:

peterp (9th May 2014)

Thank Post
    There is a bearly perceptable lag with the onboard soundcard.
    What had been throwing me is not having the sibelius sounds player, and just using MS Midi Mapper, plus when we did put the sound player on and used onboard sound the startup sound doesn't play, so I'd assumed nothing else did!
    All sorted now, onboard sound, asioforall v2 beta11, and sibelius sound player.

Thanks again for all the pointers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread